Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

Old 10-27-2006, 07:08 PM
Chrispy is offline Chrispy

Send a message via MSN to Chrispy Send a message via Yahoo to Chrispy
Smile NovaLogic's ''The Unit'' and the TV-drama ''The Unit''

NovaLogic's ''The Unit'' and the TV-drama ''The Unit''

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Unit

I've seen this program, and it's here in NZ. Here is a few more details:

Summary
The Unit is a US Army organization of unknown size, similar in scope to Delta Force. As with Delta Force, its members come from the United States Army Special Forces, and are tasked with such missions as counterterrorism, direct action, foreign internal defense, special reconnaissance and unconventional warfare, as well as various other tasks. It operates under the cover of being known as the 303rd Logistical Studies Group, and its operators are all under cover of being clerks and military logistics personnel. The unit has no official name (such as Delta Force), and officially does not exist.

A sergeant major's wife was quoted as saying: "That is his cover. It is your cover. Other than that, the unit has no name. Other than that, it doesn't exist." Its immediate chain of command goes to the unit's commanding officer, Colonel Tom Ryan, and, apparently, straight to the President of the United States. It is unknown if this bypasses the Secretary of Defense. The wives of the unit's personnel are given minimal information. They are fully aware of the fact that "The Unit" is a false front organization, and that their husbands are, in fact, still performing highly dangerous Special Forces missions, but they are not permitted to know specifics, such as where their husbands are deployed, what their training routines consist of, how long their assignments will last, or even if their husbands are all right.

As is common military practice, if a member of the Unit is killed in action, the family is told that they have been killed on a training mission. The wives themselves are encouraged to form a close, cohesive military family based on the mutual knowledge and strife this inevitably leads to.

The Unit has an eclectic structure. While it appears to be the size of a single company, which ranges in size from approximately 200 personnel, it is commanded by a colonel (companies are usually commanded by captains; colonels usually command elements like brigades). They are not permitted to wear any tabs on their uniforms (airborne, special forces, etc.), and their CO Colonel Ryan, normally wears a "sanitized" uniform (bearing absolutely no tapes, such as his name, or even US Army, or rank insignia).

Whereas Special Forces A-Teams (Operational Detachment Alpha) are generally commanded by captains, the Unit sends teams and squads into the field under the command of noncommissioned officers, such as the team normally commanded by Sergeant Major Jonas Blane, the Unit's NCOIC. It is probable that their soldiers have the same Special Forces specialties as in other Special Forces organizations. An Operational Detachment Alpha ("A-Team") has weapons sergeants, communications sergeants, medical sergeants, engineering sergeants and assistant operations and intelligence sergeants.

Also, the minimum rank for qualification for Special Forces is sergeant. Generally, there are 2 of each specialty in each Alpha Detachment. As is common for members of the United States Special Operations Command (SOCOM), when the Special Forces are not on actual deployment, they are training.

Though it is never spoken, it is possible the Unit may be a "Delta Detachment", or Special Forces Detachment-D, which is commonly referred to as Delta Force. Only the best of the best are recruited into the Unit, and they can and will be removed from the Unit, as easily.

The wives, if suspected of speaking about the Unit's existence through such endeavours as gossip, can cause their husbands to be expelled, and returned to regular Army service (even if with another Special Forces unit). Colonel Ryan has stated, time and again, that this can ruin a soldier's career, as well as their marriage, and has also stated that he will not hesitate to destroy families, in order to preserve the Unit's security. He has also threatened the wives with closing the Unit down, and restarting it someplace else under another cover, and forcing the uprooting of all families involved.

The Unit deploys throughout the world, and both the Army and United States government have the ability to deny the existence of the Unit and any of its members in order to prevent the onset of international incidents. Their uniforms are commonly not standard Army issue, which makes it easier to deny their connection with the US Army if killed or captured. They also carry weapons that are not American (they don't always carry M16A4 assault rifles and ACUs), furthering their efforts to blend in, or even look like mercenary units. Like all Special Forces units, the Unit's personnel are well-familiarized with weapons from around the world and can make themelves look like military personnel from other organizations.

The members of the Unit are so loyal to each other, that they will go so far to interrogate (violently) someone who has threatened the family of a team member.

NovaLogic (according to the trademarks) may base their game on this program!

If this is true, and you like this program, you'll like the game probably lol.

Delta Force in popular culture
Delta Force is referenced to in many video games, and is often a playable force.
Delta Force was the subject of the film The Delta Force starring Chuck Norris.
In the television series 24, agent Jack Bauer is noted to have previously been a member of Delta Force.
In the novel Deception Point by Dan Brown, Delta Force plays a major antagonist role.
The television show The Unit is based on the book "Inside Delta Force" by the show's producer Eric Haney.

(Wikipedia)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...eUnit_Cast.jpg

Chris_OJB_DF645 --
Intel Core Duo E7300 2.66GHz // SuperTalent DDR2 800 2GB // ASUS nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB // Western Digital 7200RPM 320GB SATA // LG GH-20LS 20X SATA DVD-RAM // Windows XP Pro 32-bit // Thermaltake XP550 NP 430W // Thermaltake SOPRANO SECC Black
Old 10-27-2006, 09:52 PM
Grenademan is offline Grenademan

This show is also very stupid. Just another crap Lost i'm sorry to say. The TV stations boast that its "The best action show in years" when all the 'action' takes place in the final 10 minutes of the 30 minute long or hour long show. It doesn't tickle my fancy. When I want action, i mean ACTION GODDAMNIT!

Drama sucks balls anyway.

If i sound somewhat antagnoised, then please, blame my ******** psychotic sister. She's 13 and she's already using all the swear words there ever is against me. Soon she'll turn on her own mother....
Old 10-29-2006, 11:32 AM
-Tigger- is offline -Tigger-
BB

ive seen all of season 1 and the first 4 eps of season 2, i think its actually alrite
Old 10-29-2006, 10:01 PM
Grenademan is offline Grenademan

TV is inferior
Old 10-30-2006, 08:59 AM
SilentTrigger is offline SilentTrigger
-1PARA-

I like the series

My photography website

Old 10-31-2006, 12:13 AM
Chrispy is offline Chrispy

Send a message via MSN to Chrispy Send a message via Yahoo to Chrispy
When I first saw it on TV, I was too glued to the other channel and other shows lol... but it grows on you fast. Just saw the episode last night where they go into that embassy, and that young dude's a Jew lol...

Wonder what they did with that Muslim Dagger thingy.

Chris_OJB_DF645 --
Intel Core Duo E7300 2.66GHz // SuperTalent DDR2 800 2GB // ASUS nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB // Western Digital 7200RPM 320GB SATA // LG GH-20LS 20X SATA DVD-RAM // Windows XP Pro 32-bit // Thermaltake XP550 NP 430W // Thermaltake SOPRANO SECC Black