Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Computers > Web design and Programming
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Web design and Programming Discuss website creation and other programming topics.

Old 01-15-2004, 10:22 PM
Ice Cannon is offline Ice Cannon

Send a message via ICQ to Ice Cannon
Wgetter or somethign similar

I am working on a new website (for VC not DF) and we would like to host as many downloads for VC as we possibly can... I have used wgetter as a means for doing this whilst staff at other sites.. basically what it does is you enter a url of a file u want an your web server on and click start download, it downloads the file to the FTP directory all ready for you to do what you like with it. Its a quick way to mirror files.

I would like to install this or somethign that does the same thing on our web server. Unfortunately wget requires compilation in C or something like that, so both us and our web hosting company cant do it. So we tried to make our own script, our PHP guy got a basic thing going, except there was alot of errors with it, like when a file was downloaded onto the server you can see it there thru FTP but when trying to download it there was a 404 error for sum reason...

Anyway, does anyone know how to get wgetter going or getting this php script going or a script similar to wgetter?

Thx
Old 01-15-2004, 10:51 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

wget comes standard with linux 7.2 and beyound i believe if you are on linux and your webhost is telling you that then I'd say get a new host cause your current one prolly dosen't know much beyond his cp.

Other then that sorry I can help you cause Ive never herd of wgetter... Just thought I would give you my bit of info..

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 01-16-2004, 07:06 AM

thanks panther... the host is doing us a good deal, with i think like 50 gig of bandwidth and 1 gig of space for 15 aussie dollars a month which isnt too bad... so I dont think we will be changing...

So you guys manually upload files? I spose df files are smaller... maps are average what 10kb and vc maps are 10mb lol
Old 01-16-2004, 12:01 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

No, i use wget to get files onto the server.. Sicnce our server is on a fast network somtimes trasnfers are 10mb/s +. And our users upload maps and stuff now, I havent manually uploaded anything in a few months .

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 01-16-2004, 01:32 PM

I see, thanks m8