Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Computers > Tech Support
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Tech Support Have a problem? Maybe we can help!

Old 09-11-2002, 08:39 AM
sbacon31 is offline sbacon31

RollEyes Lan/IPX ????

need help with LAN play-
other games have allowed me to play on a Lan which consists of my two computers. this allows me and my boy to play games. i ussually connect thru option like LAN then TC/IP and when both machines are runing the game, i host and he joins. but not with delta force. i can't figure out how to use the IPX connection.
Some background:
both computers run windows xp pro they are connected with an ethernet card both are fast machines with clocked downloads around 6000kbs and uploads to 400kbs. both use high end AMD chipsets and both run 64mb ddr ram grafx cards. my cpu has mor ram than the other one but even his has plenty. any help would be appreciated
thanks
Old 09-11-2002, 10:56 AM
DevilDog#1 is offline DevilDog#1

I've had the same problem, where I can't host with one machine and play with the other. Do you have router in between the two machines? Coz that's the only thing that I can think of that needs to be configured manually.

Quote:
If I don't do that doesn't mean I can't - DD#1

Last edited by DevilDog#1; 09-11-2002 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-11-2002, 12:12 PM

no router, don't need one. i have one computer that is networked directly to the other. on board LAN on main computer, ethernet network card on main computer, main computer connects to internet(cable), other computer connects to main computers network card. shared internet connection. it has work with this same configuration on starfleet command II, Unreal Tournament GOTY. here's the odd thing though- i can start my main computer with DF4, select "host multiplayer" set up a password or public game, select "serve and play". then go to my other computer, start DF4 select "play on nova world" and find the game the main computer is hosting. i know we're not supposed to be able to do that since we share the same internet connection and thus the same IP addy but i can. so i can play that way. now its just mostly about figuring out that LAN/IPX thing..
Thanks for your reply and any other help you could give me.
Old 09-11-2002, 12:15 PM

Do you get a "Cannot Initialize Provider" error when hosting a LAN game?

Quote:
Old 09-12-2002, 07:30 AM

yep
but i know i have a functioning LAN. its just not IPX. do you know why novaworld specifies the IPX LAN instead of the more Common TC/IP?
Old 09-12-2002, 12:27 PM

Check "Network" in your Control Panel. (Control Panel can be found by double clicking on "My Computer" and then on "Control Panel.")

Make sure that you have "IPX/SPX compatible Protocol" listed under "The following network components are installed".
If you don't have that protocol installed you will need to add it.
If you are not sure how to do that, check with your company's Network administrator.
Or if you have no network administrator, check with someone who is comfortable working with computer networks or contact the computer's manufacture.
Make sure all the machines on the LAN have the IPX/SPX compatible Protocol installed.

Source: NL's Support

Quote:
Old 09-12-2002, 12:45 PM

Check this link out

Quote:
Old 09-12-2002, 10:03 PM

thanks for your help-
hat did it. i should have thought of that myself, when i checked the properties of my LAN there was an "add" option, i clicked and the LAN/IPX was there. its working great now.