Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Delta Force
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Delta Force Anything to do with the Delta Force series of games, DF1, DF2, LW, TFD, BHD, DFX, AF etc.

Old 09-15-2002, 05:06 AM
BADDOG is offline BADDOG
resigned

Cool ADVICE ON MAKING SNIPER MAPS.

Hi all,

I'm here to pick the brains of those guys/girls who play on sniper maps and build them. I've built other types of maps but, just recently I have really gotten into sniping. What I want to know is this, is there a special tutorial for making specifically sniper maps and any general advice for building them?

THX
BADDOG
ENGLAND

"YOU NEVER HERE THE BULLET OR SHELL THAT GETS YOU, IT'S LIKE YOUR THERE AND THEN SUDDENLY YOU AIN'T!!!!"

UNKNOWN U.S. MARINE, PACIFIC THEATRE 1944.

Old 09-15-2002, 05:50 AM
katana*GFR* is offline katana*GFR*

Send a message via ICQ to katana*GFR* Send a message via MSN to katana*GFR*
When i make a sniper map i put just a few buildings in it.
like 3 or 4 small villages and quit a lot of bushes and trees.
And i like to choose for a terrain that lets you give the option to shoot from real far. With a bit of hills in it.
In DF2 theres a complete (almot) flat map i thought it was DFG4.trn. I have used that 1 be4 but its so flat that you need towers to snipe from most time.

Found on Youtube:
Quote:
And if Newton Faulkner's voice can be described as "R&B" then Kurt Cobain must be a member of Boyz II Men.
Link here
Old 09-15-2002, 11:07 AM
BADDOG is offline BADDOG
resigned

Smile RE:SNIPER MAPS.

Hi Katana,

Thx for your advice m8 I will give it a whirl.

Peace out man

BADDOG
ENGLAND

"CAVE CANUM"

Old 09-15-2002, 11:32 AM
Diamond Bullet is offline Diamond Bullet

Send a message via ICQ to Diamond Bullet Send a message via Yahoo to Diamond Bullet
katana is right the less object the better. But not plain

MSN: db_dasniper@hotmail.com

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

supplied by Nev
Old 09-15-2002, 12:20 PM
DevilDog#1 is offline DevilDog#1

You can try and look @ my TFD sniper map. Not the best but it should give you some ideas. Got couple of 1000m shots on that one

Quote:
If I don't do that doesn't mean I can't - DD#1
Old 09-15-2002, 05:47 PM
Firestarter is offline Firestarter

Send a message via AIM to Firestarter
Biggrin how i do it

when i make a sniper map i try to make it as big as i can with out it being to unreasonable. If u dont make it big enough there are too many freakin m60's, mags, and saws in the server, and you dont want that to happen
Old 09-16-2002, 08:58 AM
BADDOG is offline BADDOG
resigned

Smile RE:SNIPER MAPS

Hi all,

Thx to all of you for the advice on Sniper maps. I've created about half a dozen so far and they have been well received by players who have come into my server. I've tried to get the balance right using space and not to many objects and your right about big maps as this discourages the use of saw's etc.

Thx again guys much appreciated.

BADDOG
ENGLAND

"CAVE CANUM"
Old 09-17-2002, 05:41 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
i made a big post about making sniper maps but it look like it was posted before we chaged the domain and it looks like it was deleted :/ i'll see if i have anything on my comp @ home and post it here soon good luck with ur stuff BD
Old 09-17-2002, 07:30 AM
BADDOG is offline BADDOG
resigned

Smile RE:SNIPER MAPS.

Hi Stevie,

Thx a lot for sorting that tutorial out m8. it is much appreciated. I've built some more sniper maps and as with all map making it is kind of trial and error.

Thx again M8

BADDOG
ENGLAND

"CAVE CANUM"
Old 09-17-2002, 11:53 PM
frogman*PR* is offline frogman*PR*

Send a message via ICQ to frogman*PR*
i also found out with a sunset sky and a purplish blue haze , its alot harder to see the black dot
Old 09-19-2002, 04:02 AM
BADDOG is offline BADDOG
resigned

Hi all,

I've made a few sniper maps now and I've used all the advice you guys have been kind enough to give me. It definitely (in my opinion) takes a good deal more thought as to the layout and terrain you use for making sniper maps but, this part of the fun of making them.

If StevieB drops by, any chance of that sniper tutorial making an appearance please?

THX
BADDOG
ENGLAND

"CAVE CANUM"

Attached Images
File Type: jpg baddog.jpg (23.5 KB, 36 views)
Old 09-28-2002, 07:46 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
sorry for not posting, it's tricky to get on right now for me.
hope u get a little use from this anyhow. its just commonsence really but maybe it will make you think

Map Guidelines - Sniper map
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^
Scenario 1 --> Long-Range Sniping

Weapon of choice for this game - M40 / Barrett .50
Terrain Type - The more big hills, the better.

This is the map of the hard-core sniper, long-range map and CQB is to be avoided. In theory the map size could be miles and miles depending on the number of players. Cover should be provided by trees and bushes. Houses aren't much good in Land Warrior because you can see throught them and also shoot through them.

I don't recommend using water in a sniper map because it gives unfair advantage to those in the water. But alternatively it gives the chance for players to move around unseen. Tunnels can also produce a useful means of getting from A to B without the player risking their life by crossing open terrain.

The map designer should check out their chosen terrain in-game to find potential 'hot spots' where optimal viewing of the battlefield can be achieved and take note of this position in the 'commanders screen' ( press 'c' in-game). Then, when placing the player spawn points in the mission editor, the 'hot spot' should be avoided! This is because players shoud go and find the best places themselves and not just spawn in them. Also, if a player spawns in a good place and stays there, someone else will spawn there later on and most likely knife them

It is also a good idea to put in some 'primary spawns' that are well spread out and well away from 'waypoint alpha'. Then all the regular spawns should be placed a little closer to the middle of the map to prevent spawns behind people.

Fog should be disabled because snipers love to get 900 / 1000m kills, which is just about the limit in Land Warrior due to the default fog [1024m]. However altering the colour of the default fog just for effect is a good idea.

One frustrating part of being a sniper is that if you manage to find a really good place and you run out of ammo So I would recommend putting a few armories or armory cabinets into the map. Put them far out from the center to, because that is where people are going to run out of ammo. if you use cabinets, put them in a house or something similar so it doesn't look stupid and also to provide a little cover for players while they reload.

Putting in parachute spawns would be unfair as the player would be able to see the location of all the other players.

Adding sounds would be a good idea, like wind on top of hills or tree noises near bushes and trees and maybe throw in a snake or two to make them jump lol

Scenario 2 --> Close Sniping

Weapon of choice for this game - PSG / M40 / Barrett light 50
Terrain Type - Any but flat bits will be required if buildings are used.

This is the map for the sniper who cant forget their gunner days or the gunner who left their FN Mag on the bus and had to borrow a gun of their mate It seems weird that there should be such a thing as 'close sniping' but people like different things.

Basically in this type of map anything goes and more buildings are preffered. Kind of like 'urban sniping'. Still sneaking around but up-close and personal. Due to it being closer, more cover is needed so players can get out of ( and into ) trouble quickly.

A terrain with many small hills and trenches would be good for this type of game.

Again, stick in the armories and cabinets (for stocking up on claymores).

The map size should be significantly reduced compared woth the long-range sniper map, and spawns can (but not neccesserily) be placed closer together ( these people like action and using their knives ).

Tunnels are ok to put in but not really as transport routes, more of an extra killing zone

Fog - nice for this type of game but not essential by any means. A fog level of about 3 or 4 would be a nice addition as it would keep the action close.

ps terrain is very important. look around for good locations on empty terrains before you start
Old 09-28-2002, 11:52 AM

And its good that you don't post often!

Quote:
Old 09-28-2002, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BADDOG
Hi all,

I've made a few sniper maps now and I've used all the advice you guys have been kind enough to give me. It definitely (in my opinion) takes a good deal more thought as to the layout and terrain you use for making sniper maps but, this part of the fun of making them.

If StevieB drops by, any chance of that sniper tutorial making an appearance please?

THX
BADDOG
ENGLAND

"CAVE CANUM"

You need host for that siggy?

Quote: