Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Joint Operations
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Joint Operations Anything about the Joint Operations series of games.

Old 01-17-2024, 02:11 PM
Ech0 is offline Ech0

Are Custom .Wav files possible?

Just as the title says, is it possible to add custom .wav files to a custom map? If so what would be the steps needed? Thanks in advance!
Old 01-17-2024, 05:20 PM
Oscarmike247 is offline Oscarmike247

You just include the .wav file with your map. That simple. As long as it is in the directory with the map files, it will work.
Old 01-17-2024, 05:42 PM
Ech0 is offline Ech0

Awesome thanks! Music too?
Old 01-17-2024, 06:18 PM
Ech0 is offline Ech0

Also, I have a PFF and have tried extracting some Wav files, I’m assuming I can open them in audacity? Which PFF would the voice lines be in?
Old 01-17-2024, 06:27 PM

I'm not sure how to do music properly. I think that's a little more complicated. You can certainly use a .wav for music, but the problem is that you can't have two .wavs playing at one time. if you play one while the other is playing, it will just cut off the one currently playing.

There's basically two types of sounds in the game. Raw .wav files which can be played by a WAC script, and Sound Sets. Sound sets are controlled by an .LWF file. The sound set takes one or more .wav file and gives it attributes like distance and can even change the pitch of the sound.

For example the sound set "GS_M4" is the sound the M4 makes when fired. it has one .wav file that you hear from say 0 to 200 meters away, then a distant .wav file that you can hear up to say 700 meters away. I'm not sure if those are the actual distances, but you get the idea.

From what I understand, there is a way to create DBF files for custom maps. Which are kind of like LWF files and may work better for music, I think. But I've never gotten them to work properly. The stock training maps have their own DBF files, but it seems that the game doesn't read any other DBF files other than the ones that originally came with the game.

If anyone knows how to do this, do share.
Old 01-17-2024, 09:35 PM
Ech0 is offline Ech0

Sorry, one more question, when I try to export a .wav from the pff, I cant open it in the media player, furthermore, importing to Audacity just gives me a brief static, any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Old 01-17-2024, 10:28 PM

Files from the pff have to be ran through the extractor tool found in the unofficial mod tools.

https://novahq.net/clicktracker.php?Item=Files&ID=336

The link doesn't seem to be working on my end. not sure if it's just me. I attached them to this reply in case the link doesn't work.

Run the BFC1Extractor.exe and click on the .wav file. After that you should be able to open/edit them. with the BFC1Extractor.exe you can highlight multiple files, but I've found if you try to do too many at once, it will crash.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Unofficial Mod Tools.zip (310.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-18-2024, 12:14 AM
Ech0 is offline Ech0

Thanks! After this I just run them back through it in order to get them to be played in game correct?
Old 01-18-2024, 12:57 AM
Ech0 is offline Ech0

Ah I see, I have to put it through the BFCTool, whenever I try to open the program though a command window shows up and then disappears.
Old 01-18-2024, 01:36 AM
Ech0 is offline Ech0

Figured it out, sorry I guess I'm spamming this thread up, I cant wait to upload this map though!
Old 01-18-2024, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ech0 View Post
Figured it out, sorry I guess I'm spamming this thread up, I cant wait to upload this map though!
No worries!
Old 01-19-2024, 12:30 AM
jabo1SFH is offline jabo1SFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ech0 View Post

make sure you include any custom .wac files with your map zip.

one of the best custom .wav files was the short jingle for the map "Ice Cream Men". i had one of my guys download the file and add to his jo directory. we had a blast!