Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Delta Force
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Delta Force Anything to do with the Delta Force series of games, DF1, DF2, LW, TFD, BHD, DFX, AF etc.

Old 01-10-2004, 05:41 AM
westausgirl is offline westausgirl

Sad novaworld login problem

I have trouble logging on to novaworld. We have four computers networked and connect to the net using ADSL.
If I plug the laptop into a dial up stand alone connection I can get on to novaworld with no problem.
We have the same problem with Land Warrior as well
Could someone please tell me if it is possible to play on novaworld with networked computers and how.
Old 01-10-2004, 07:38 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
you cant log on, or connect to novaworld, or can't connect to games?

take a look at the threads below, it might help. personally i doubt the router or a firewall would cause problems with connecting unless one was hosting, because we have had 3 players on the same LAN in the same game on landwarrior.

http://www.dfhq.net/forum/showthread...threadid=12605

http://www.dfhq.net/forum/showthread...threadid=12586
Old 01-11-2004, 12:05 AM

how do you open port 17478 UDP
Old 01-11-2004, 08:05 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

you should have some documention with your router that explains this. or the manufacturer website will help. its quite easy but every router is different
Old 01-11-2004, 08:24 AM

it is a 10/100mbps Ethernet Switch that we are using does that work the same or is it different
Old 01-11-2004, 08:53 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

aaaaaah that could be the problem.
i presumed u had a router. hmm damn i'm no tech support lol

ok well forget about ports and firewalls because there isnt one on a switch.

but that creates a bigger problem as i cannot think of any reason at all why this wont work now i'm really stumper sorry, especially as you cn play everything else ok and LAN is ok.

if you plug the internet wire straight into soemone PC (bypass the switch) then can they join?

(tryign to figure out of the switch is the problem).
Old 01-11-2004, 09:05 AM

yes the computer that has the adsl modem attached to it can play on novaworld fine its the other computers that go through the switch to that computer that cant
Old 01-11-2004, 09:06 AM

i really appreciate all you help
Old 01-11-2004, 09:24 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

i'm just thinking that this is just not possible through another computer, or the conencted computer needs some setting i just dont know.

do you really need the intenet server computer?
Old 01-11-2004, 09:27 AM

the adsl modem and network card have to be in one computer. the only way we found to connect the rest of the computers and internet share was with a switch. so the computer with adsl modem and the other computers all go into the switch. we are not sure if there is another way to do it
Old 01-11-2004, 09:34 AM

i got an email for another reply but there isnt one there. did you post another reply
Old 01-11-2004, 09:47 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

ok i thought the adsl modem would be an external thing :/
need to find someone who has the same setup

no other reply sry
Old 01-11-2004, 09:52 AM

the adsl modem is external. but there is a network card in that computer for the adsl modem. would it work if you put the switch between the adsl modem and the computer it is now attached to and had the adsl modem connecting into the switch as well
Old 01-11-2004, 10:12 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

this is the way we had out switch setup (attached).

i doubt the ADSL needs a special network card, if the cable fits in any of the network cards and switch posrts then it will be ok.
Old 01-11-2004, 10:13 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

doh!
see attached
Attached Images
File Type: gif net.gif (2.1 KB, 25 views)
Old 01-11-2004, 10:15 AM
Lakie is offline Lakie

ADSL requires a network card to be installed into the computer at least with internode
Old 01-11-2004, 10:17 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

ah someone who know something, any suggestions BB....? plzplzplz
Old 01-11-2004, 10:21 AM
Lakie is offline Lakie

what type of modem do you have?

Last edited by Lakie; 01-11-2004 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-11-2004, 10:34 AM
Lakie is offline Lakie

pulled this off my isps tech support pages

Quote:
Can I share my Internode ADSL connection between multiple computers? How?
Yes, you can share your connection amongst multiple computers at your home or office.

There are a number of ways to do this, here are the main methods:

1.Use an ADSL device which is not just a bridge, but which is also a router/nat/PPPoE-client device. The D-Link DI-504 is one example of such a device, but there are plenty on the market. Because these units usually include a 'PPPoE client', you don't need to load one of those up on your computer, either.

So the 'ADSL Router' manages the connection to the Internet for you (you put your Internode username and password into it, instead of into your computer), it acts as a firewall, and it acts as an automatic connection sharing device. Usually these devices also operate as 'DHCP servers', meaning that you can configure your computers to 'get their IP addresses automatically' and the ADSL router will hand an address out to each of your computers when it needs one.

To connect your multiple computers to the ADSL router, you need to use an ethernet hub or switch (almost any sort will do). Some of these devices even have a small Ethernet hub built into the back of the same unit.

2.Use a 'broadband router' (a two ethernet router which is just like option 1, but without an ADSL port). An example of this is the D-Link DI-804.

These units are designed to work with 'any' broadband Internet service, and not just ADSL. So to use it with ADSL, you also need to buy an ADSL Ethernet bridge device (such as the D-Link DSL-300 or an Alcatel SpeedTouch Home).

If this sounds like it is more expensive and more complicated than option 1, you'd be right. You might use this alternative if you need features that are present in the 'Broadband router' which are not available in your alternative 'integrated' ADSL router and firewall unit.

Cheap, effective, and means your computers (any number of them) can lurk behind it, can share the connection over ethernet, don't need PPPoE software loaded into them (because the DI-504 can do that by itself), and you have a generally simpler life.

Note that various of these devices have other optional features too - some of them include wireless ethernet access points, others include other features. In general, the results in these cases are the same as you would achieve in buying multiple separate boxes and plugging them all into an ethernet hub or switch. The 'fully integrated' units often cost less in total than the sum of the multiple individual boxes, and it certainly results in having less wires and power bricks lying around the place.

3.Use an Ethernet ADSL device (such as a D-link DSL-300), plug it into a hub, and plug your various computers into the hub, and run PPPoE on each computer concurrently.

With our ADSL service (Note that this doesn't apply to all ISP's!), we let you log from in multiple computers at once, so you don't actually need connection sharing software or hardware at all. You can just load and run PPPoE software on each computer and you can log them in to our ADSL service, over the same phone line and the same Ethernet ADSL device, at the same time!

4.Use a cheaper ADSL box (PCI or USB), run that into computer #1, and use connection sharing software in computer #1 to provide access to other computers.

If you have already got a working USB or PCI based ADSL device at your place, and you want to have a second or subsequent computer able to use the connection, you should be able to find some 'connection sharing' software to run in your first computer. Depending on the operating system, this might already be built in, or it might be something you will need to download and install on the computer separately.

Then you can use an ethernet port in that first computer to connect in other computers, and they can share the ADSL connection via your 'main' computer.

This essentially gets your main computer to perform the same function as the standalone connection sharing devices referred to above. The downsides of this are that you need to have your main computer on all the time, and if it crashes, all the other computers lose their Internet connection too. This option may be lower cost than using an Ethernet based ADSL device, but sometimes these savings can be false economy, made evident the first time the main computer crashes just when you needed it not to.

This is also a more complicated path to achieving connection sharing, because you need to configure and maintain that software in your main computer, and you may also find that this connection sharing process slows down that computer somewhat when the other computers are downloading a lot of Internet data.