Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Delta Force
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Delta Force Anything to do with the Delta Force series of games, DF1, DF2, LW, TFD, BHD, DFX, AF etc.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:58 PM
RS-Sniperman is offline RS-Sniperman

Ping times

i have another question when i run my server most of the guys have ping times around 500 or more i reallly dont know what to expect to be honnest but im on a 50/50 mbit connection so it should be strong enough but maybe you guys have a solution of a kind to maybe bring it down or at least a kind of explanation on the effect of high ping times and how high it can go without harming the game and so on but i would love you guys had a solution for me

What should i do without you guys

Thanks for the help
Old 11-21-2008, 05:31 AM
peregrine falcon is offline peregrine falcon

500 isn't so bad as long as it consistent and not jumping from like 300-800.

Amount of players would effect ping times.
Distance effects ping times.

How many players do you have in server when the ping is 500, and where are they located?

not sure if your router may effect ping but it might help to know what you have as a router.

I would think with as good of a connection as you have it should be able to run a 20-24 player server with few lag problems.

try this speed test to see if your advertised bandwidth is what your actually getting http://www.speedtest.net/ also select a server to ping close to where most of the players that enter your server come from to see what ping times are it could be that those getting a 500 ping are just far away from your server.

Example I ping about 60-80 to servers close to me but twice that to servers in Europe and 3-4 times of that to servers in china
Old 11-21-2008, 07:30 AM

I doesnt matter how many players there are on the server it does it with just 3 or 3 people on and it is like you say there it can jum from 300 to 1000 many times im using a netgear wgr614 router i have the speed i pay for so it should not be that so i guees there isnt anything to do then
Old 11-21-2008, 08:23 AM
IcIshoot is offline IcIshoot

Send a message via AIM to IcIshoot Send a message via MSN to IcIshoot Send a message via Yahoo to IcIshoot
make sure you don't have any thing else running that would hog internet resources - such as downloading big files.

ici
Old 11-21-2008, 10:20 AM

i dont have something like that running when the server is up
Old 11-21-2008, 10:22 AM
peregrine falcon is offline peregrine falcon

well just because UR paying for it doesn't mean your getting it. I pay for up to 20MB download rarely do I get over 8MB.

also do several speed tests if your connection fluctuates badly that may be part of it. Also ping servers close to where the players are to see about what they should get for ping.

If your running a fast connection but a slow comp it will cause lag.

Try host and not playing(no game screen just a host screen) that will free up system resources so the game runs smoother
Old 11-21-2008, 12:56 PM
ShArP is offline ShArP

Send a message via ICQ to ShArP Send a message via AIM to ShArP Send a message via MSN to ShArP
are you sure that you aren't playing in servers that are over seas or far away from you? do you have a lot of bad weather in your area? do you have an anti-virus running, and if so which one?

Old 11-21-2008, 02:21 PM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
each player takes up bandwidth and the data flow to each of them go slower so in the end the ping go up higher. thats the basic from the days of DF1 till now it has not change in this manner.

think of it as you play the game and downloading a file the ping will go up higher why you ask the bandwidth of data flow is taking up more of the space in the bandwidth is all.

try to play the game and download a big file see whats happen, bet the bandwidth ping go higher as you download the file same for each player in the game each take up on the bandwidth as will. you computer is sending data to each of them when you host the game.

all so the hip is sell pitch on bandwidth they tell you should be getting more for your money, but in the end doing a test to see what is for real is a whole new ballgame......they lie to make a sell

there is a way to not host the game using your computer system and save your bandwidth by paying a service to host the game on their servers and you have the option to control the game from your end of it
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]