Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Computers > Tech Support
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Tech Support Have a problem? Maybe we can help!

Old 07-18-2005, 09:43 AM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
[this is scary crap] rootkits

man the only way to remove it is reformat the Hard drive is the only asker. OMG these lame bad hackers really can be jerks
Quote:
By: Kim Komando
Subject: tip of the day.

Rootkits allow hackers to get into your computer

As security companies have stepped up efforts to stop malware, attackers have found new ways to force their way into your computer. As a result, their programs are becoming increasingly sophisticated.

A great example is the rootkit. These programs have been around for some time. However, a Microsoft presentation at a security conference brought them to the forefront. They are a potential nightmare.

A rootkit is not a virus. Rather, it is a small program that burrows into the most basic, most powerful level of Windows. It can then tell Windows it is not there. That makes it impossible for anti-virus and anti-spyware programs to find it.

Here's an analogy: A rootkit is like an invisible person who invades your home. You do not know the person is there, nor do you know what that person is doing. You cannot see whatever damage that person is causing. You may eventually see the results, but you would not know what hit you. It's really that bad!

Rootkits are not common in Windows. But they have been around for some time in the Unix operating system, where they are better understood.

Anti-virus and anti-spyware programs cannot touch them. When you run these programs, they search lists of files for suspicious entries. Rootkits can intercept the lists and remove specific file names from them. That renders the security programs ineffective.

Rootkits are difficult to understand and develop. That's probably why they haven't appeared in malware yet. Traditionally, viruses and other garbage have been developed by maladjusted people, often teenagers, who have little professional knowledge.

However, recent years have seen quality improve sharply, especially in spyware. Much of that work comes from rogue programmers in the old Soviet Union. Often they work with criminals. Or the programmers may in fact be the criminals. These people probably can develop rootkits.

Microsoft is working on an anti-rootkit program called
"Strider Ghostbuster." This program scans your computer system. It then scans it a second time from another computer over a network. In the second scan, your computer is not running. So the rootkit cannot protect itself. Strider Ghostbuster then compares the two lists of files, looking for differences.

There is another tool available now for scanning. That is RootkitRevealer, from Sysinternals. It may be able to find a rootkit, depending on its sophistication. But there is no method of removal. Only a re-format of the hard drive will clean it.

So, do you need to worry about rootkits? They aren't a threat yet, to my knowledge. They may eventually become a threat. Hopefully, the good guys will develop antidotes by then. In the meantime, they certainly are worth watching.

Source: http://www.komando.com/tips_show.asp?showID=8882
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]
Old 07-18-2005, 11:28 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
rootkit stuff has been around for ages liek the article says.

soon mass-paranoier will setin enough for MS, nortons, macafee, to cash in big time :/
Old 07-18-2005, 11:34 AM
Lucky is offline Lucky

scary stuff.... time to go scan my hard drive
Old 07-18-2005, 01:59 PM
Chief ADFP

in the pass two years other been using it to hack people system and it being use in a new way now.

this link has more details on it:
http://www.sysinternals.com/utilitie...trevealer.html

bottom of page you can download the "Download RootkitRevealer (190 KB) "
Old 07-18-2005, 04:14 PM
Chief ADFP

will i ran the rootketrevealer.exe

found out do not i repeat do not press Abort button system may lockup did me 3x. if you press scan let it do it thing may take a real long time to do the scan but in the end you get good news' or bad news. it scan to see if there anything that do not much up what there should be in your system.

it told me basic i was good to go no then bad at all was found.

i do have a adware i can't seem to get out of my system at all freaking: "starware toolbar" i hate it totally it don't do a thing at all think it a fake item. have no ID if it do anything at all other.

no then seem to remove it totally at all i have try:
1.) Spybot - Search & Destroy
found it not at all.
2.) Ad-Aware SE Personal
found it not at all.
3.) Spy Sweeper
found it but only it do a 1/2 pass job it loads back in every freaking time.

Last edited by Hellfighter; 07-18-2005 at 04:20 PM.