Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Delta Force
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Delta Force Anything to do with the Delta Force series of games, DF1, DF2, LW, TFD, BHD, DFX, AF etc.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:46 PM
meeshu is offline meeshu

Sad DEF Decrypting

This is related to this thread.

I'm still trying to get PFFEditor to decrypt DFTFD DEF files, but on every occasion it gives an error message that file VBExp.dll is not found!?

I know DeSCR decrypts DEF files as well, but I'm trying to get PFFEDitor to decrypt those DEF files as well, as it is supposed to.

Tried decrypting ITEMS.DEF (from SMALL.PFF file and after extracting ITEMS.DEF).

Tried running under Windows 7 x86 SP1, and 7 x64 SP1, and also XP x86 SP3, but still I get the error, despite the file VBExp.dll which is present within PFFEditor directory!?

Can anyone please confirm that PFFEditor does actually successfully decrypt DFTFD DEF files!?

Screenshot below of error message -

Attached Images
File Type: png PFF_DEF_error_XP.png (51.6 KB, 27 views)
Old 06-27-2017, 12:37 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

It will. What you need to do is search google for VBExp.dll, download it and register it on your computer. There are many tutorials online. Sometimes simply placing the file in the same folder as the EXE solves the issue. It's because a lot of these programs were built with VB6 which is very old now, and most people don't have the VB6 runtimes installed.

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 06-27-2017, 07:49 PM
meeshu is offline meeshu

Thanks for the comments!

File VBExp.dll is already present within PFFEditor directory together with the corresponding executable. This file comes with the PFFEditor program. So this file is not missing. And yet PFFEditor seems to fail to find this VBExp.dll file when trying to decrypt .def files!?

Google searches fail to find this file anyway.

Also, can't "register" this file using the regsvr32 command as get error message that the "module vbexp.dll failed to load", and also "the specified module could not be found"!?

So I can't register this file, and there are no other versions found via Google searches.

Maybe some other VB (runtime) files are required to be installed but are NOT included with the PFFEditor program? If so, which files?

Screenshot of PFFEditor directory, note that VBExp.dll file and supporting files are already included -

Attached Images
File Type: png Pffeditor_directory_cropped.png (44.2 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by meeshu; 06-27-2017 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Added screenshot
Old 06-27-2017, 11:44 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

I will try to see what I can do. There just needs to be more time in a day

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 06-28-2017, 12:04 AM
Guest001 is offline Guest001

Old environment vars? - Perhaps the path to the file is strict and set in a configuration file or registry somewhere.

You could also try the OS environment variables and put it in your path.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:28 PM
Baldo_the_Don is offline Baldo_the_Don

Install as Administrator?
Old 07-03-2017, 10:27 PM
meeshu is offline meeshu

Comments noted, thanks.

I am fairly busy with other matters at present, so there's little time free for looking into this issue.

There doesn't seem to be any configuration file associated with this application (that points to locations of required files), so I can't edit it accordingly. I added details of program to Path under Environment Variables, but that didn't resolve the issue.

The program doesn't "install" as such, it is basically a "portable" application that runs as a standalone with no entries in the registry or where-ever else. So it just a copy and paste job of the program and corresponding files to any directory of your choice.

Tried running the program with and without Administrator rights anyway, but it didn't help. Tried also running under various compatibility modes, but again it didn't help.

On further searching online and on further investigation of the program, it seems that the decryption/encryption of .def files (via VBExp.dll ?) may require quite a few other dll's to be installed/located on the computer!? If so, the programs' author failed to include these required files with the program, and also failed to even mention the requirement of additional files!!