Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

Old 10-08-2004, 03:40 AM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
Confused Watch out on Peer to Peer software

if you have any type of share program and you breaking the law by sharing music and software with others you can get busted for it so stay away from any type sharing program ok.

So call: Peer to Peer programs are the worst one's and many others.

best buy it, if you get it any other way its jail time this is not a joke.

don't be sharing things or getting so call free programs/music without paying for it, you may find your self in jail fast.

by the way this is a photo-copy of the conversation we had with each other. only items edited were wording not good to read and subjects doing with warez type items (programs)
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]

Last edited by Hellfighter; 10-08-2004 at 04:15 AM.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:33 AM
Systemkaos is offline Systemkaos

Send a message via ICQ to Systemkaos
thought they were only targeting people for music, but oh well. I can garuntee that when any of these sites/ p2p groups get closed 2 more will open in there place
Old 10-08-2004, 09:01 AM
IcIshoot is offline IcIshoot

Send a message via AIM to IcIshoot Send a message via MSN to IcIshoot Send a message via Yahoo to IcIshoot
Never trusted those p2p programs.

But glad to see that they are out there trying to stop the illegal activity.

What really gets me is the people who use illegal copies of expensive programs (like photoshop or windows XP). In that case you are not only stealing from the company, but also from some innocent person who goes out and spends the money to buy it, only to find out that due to their cd key being illegally obtained by an unknown theif, they can't use it (well, for XP at least, I don't know how photoshop handles it).

I wonder if the makers of photoshop have ways of tracking them down...

frankly, I could care less about the music being downloaded illegally.. It really is silly, if those people get caught they can face fines up to $7000 per/song, when they probably could get the song for $0.99 through legal means.

Also, if the recording company needs to raise prices to cover their losses, go ahead, I don't buy their stuff any ways (I buy my songs individually at walmart.com for $0.88 per song)

But I would think that one of the reasons software prices can be so high is because of all the piricy.

Just my 2 cents worth

IcI
Old 10-08-2004, 09:07 AM
Lakie is offline Lakie

just letting everyone know not to state any illegal activity you may or may not have commited or name programs, we could get in trouble....
Old 10-08-2004, 01:20 PM
Chief ADFP

Quote:
Originally posted by icishoot
Never trusted those p2p programs.

But glad to see that they are out there trying to stop the illegal activity.

What really gets me is the people who use illegal copies of expensive programs (like photoshop or windows XP). In that case you are not only stealing from the company, but also from some innocent person who goes out and spends the money to buy it, only to find out that due to their cd key being illegally obtained by an unknown thief, they can't use it (well, for XP at least , I don't know how photoshop handles it).

But I would think that one of the reasons software prices can be so high is because of all the piracy.

Just my 2 cents worth

IcI
some times a tech will pay a fee to get a license from the software mfg to use a key-code more then one time. in Microsoft case a tech will have to pay more to do this. it when they don't have the OK from a software mfg then its is illegally, a tech will have to have it in written and proof or they to can get into deep dip sh*t trouble too with the law.

The fee verys in number of times they can use the same program most of the time it given use of 20x-50x these are real tech support team that do companys system, were they work many other companys system. fee think it range in USD-1.200.00-1.600.00 how often they can do this is limited by the software mfg. after a point they will have to update their fee to do more company computer system.

thats why some times you may buy a operationing system (Computer system) online you may not get the Cd of the MAC/Windows...ect ether they did not have the license or pay the fee for the right to it. you basic get a Cd of the program chop-up some what and it don't even have the logo of the OS on it. most of the time there be a sticker on your system with the logo but it there no keycode to use to instill it.

Gateway MFG is good for this: they put a logo on the tower, but the OS operation system Cd will not have the windows logo on it at all and you will not have the real Windows Cd for it at all. they will chop it up.

Last edited by Hellfighter; 10-08-2004 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to IcIshoot Send a message via MSN to IcIshoot Send a message via Yahoo to IcIshoot
Quote:
some times a tech will pay a fee to get a license from the software mfg to use a key-code more then one time. in Microsoft case a tech will have to pay more to do this. it when they don't have the OK from a software mfg then its is illegally, a tech will have to have it in written and proof or they to can get into deep dip sh*t trouble too with the law.

The fee verys in number of times they can use the same program most of the time it given use of 20x-50x these are real tech support team that do companys system, were they work many other companys system. fee think it range in USD-1.200.00-1.600.00 how often they can do this is limited by the software mfg. after a point they will have to update their fee to do more company computer system.
wouldn't this fall under volume licensing?

But still, they are paying for it. I'm talking about those people who get a copy from a friend then go out to a website and get a key generator, which allows them to get a full working version with out forking over any money.

IcI
Old 10-09-2004, 06:32 AM
BADDOG is offline BADDOG
resigned

Cool

I understand that some people in the U.S. are being prosecuted for down loading music illegally off the www.

This peer to peer file "sharing" is also being hotly pursued by certain companies or so I hear?

Regards
Old 10-09-2004, 07:50 AM
Chief ADFP

1.) icishoot
Yes it all so call volume licensing and tell you the truth all can get if they wish to pay for it $$$$$$.

I am running on a volume licensing Windows Xp pro that my tech pay for with Microsoft licensing fee.

2.) BADDOG
yes your are so right, there are sites www. that have software and music. but the peer to peer is a essayer way for the law to catch the end user of it, they post up a real music track or software to be downloaded they track it and make it download slower then normal in this way they can catch them and they call their Branch in that US-State Office to get into action were the end user is in.

Last edited by Hellfighter; 10-09-2004 at 07:56 AM.
Old 10-09-2004, 07:55 AM
BADDOG is offline BADDOG
resigned

Smile

Thanks for the info Chief, I know theres been quite a bit of news about this file sharing and illegal down loading on the web and in the press etc.

Warm Regards
Old 10-09-2004, 08:44 AM

I looked into volume pricing for windows XP (I have an other computer that would love to have XP). Costs to much, cheaper for me to buy an other copy.

I'll have to pass this info on to my friend

IcI
Old 10-09-2004, 12:38 PM
~MOUSE~ is offline ~MOUSE~

squeek !

If companies deliberately post software on p2p networks for people to illegally download, Isn't that considered "ENTRAPMENT" ?

If anyone is using p2p software I suggest you use something like "Protowall" or "PeerGuardian" and a block list manager, to block known hackers, undesirable sites or agencies.

Bluetack Software

p.s.
Novalogic is automatically blocked using bluetack's blocklist. You have to remove nova's ip's from the blocklist to play online.

Last edited by ~MOUSE~; 10-09-2004 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-09-2004, 01:04 PM
zza1pqx is offline zza1pqx

Send a message via ICQ to zza1pqx Send a message via Yahoo to zza1pqx
People that have been prosecuted succesfuly for illegal use of the internet to acquire free stuff have been those that make substantial amounts of stuff available for download to others.

People that have been prosectuted have had thousands upon thousands of dollars worth of stuff sat in the folders they have made available to others for download.

No one is going after the occasional downloader because financially it is a pointless pursuit. A prosecution can cost a lot of money and so if you are someone who had downloaded the latest Brittney track to have a listen then you are unlikley to face any hassle at all.

Personally I have spent in excess of $250 in the last 3 months on music I would never have heard before if it wasnt for internet recomendations and the ability to try before I buy on my own terms.
The big music companies biggest financial issue with the internet is not in fact that of music theft but of a consumer led deregulation of the industry. It is being discovered that people dont want to listen to regurgitated cheap to produce pop and rap single recordings. They want to listen to good expressive stuff made by artists rather than mass producers which means the big companies have a fight on their hands trying to control the flow of tunes so that they can successfuly invest for maximum return.
Cokemusic and itunes is a reflection of the record companies concession that in order to fulfill supply to an educated consumers demand, they have to be making music of all types instantly available for cheap. Most people dont mind spending under a dollar for a tune if its a good one.

The main problem for the casual end user of a peer to peer program is not in fact being traced and arressted, it is viruses hiding in files and files not being what they seem. I am aware of at least one person who when they had thought they had downloaded the latest Will Smith film found themselves with a video of one of the recent cowardly beheadings performed in Iraq. Something he hadnt wanted to see and now can never forget.

Peer to Peer (particularly Gnutella based) is one of the least worries of the big companies smacking down on piracy anyway.
The big players use newsgroups so if there are people who use these programs occasionaly dont get too concerned by Chiefs nightmare scenarios of years sepnt in jail because you couldn't find that track you used to dance to in your teens in the record shops.

Listen to what he says and educate yourself on the risks you take to yourself both legaly, practicaly and moraly. Dont run and hide and post nonesense on the web though.

Old 10-09-2004, 03:55 PM
Chief ADFP

will thats good and all but the fact stands this guy got put in jail and facing fine like crazy. you have to be careful on what you do on the INTERNET. break the law you may have to pay for it more ways then one.

downloading program software or music on these peer to peer software may get one into trouble faster then anything, so stay away from downloading music and programs you may find some one at your door you don't need to see like the police. buy the programs and music you like to have don't try to get it any other way.
Quote:
The main problem for the casual end user of a peer to peer program is not in fact being traced and arrested
you like to take the jump and try it see after 36hrs if not one come to your door. I'll even send the link to the peer to peer program he was using. to me only a fool will take it to the level were you may get into trouble with the law. as for virus running wild in peer to peer programs think every one knows that heck you can go to a web site as the page loads up it to will instill a virus (it happen to me Avast stop it) old story.