Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Delta Force
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Delta Force Anything to do with the Delta Force series of games, DF1, DF2, LW, TFD, BHD, DFX, AF etc.

Old 02-06-2002, 04:12 AM
Winni_the_Pooh is offline Winni_the_Pooh

Confused laggy maps

What does it mean`s when a map is laggy, and can you do something about it when making new maps?
Old 02-06-2002, 09:01 AM
~FB~Ghandi is offline ~FB~Ghandi

if you´r map get abowe 100kb then some may get lag also if you put stuff together like stuff on houses or house on house
but i think the 100+ kb is the biggest thing i try 2 keep my maps under that so most can handle them

it is simple the number of objects/size of them that makes lag for some players cus of there connection an graficscard ....

Old 02-06-2002, 02:13 PM
Winni_the_Pooh is offline Winni_the_Pooh

Ok thank you Ghandi*PR* so it`s not anything wrong whit my maps just have to keep them under 100 kb and i now if you put items upon items and try to make new buildings you can have funny things happen to you when you are in this building like all of you shaking so you almost lose your gun *lol*
Old 02-06-2002, 02:18 PM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
Ghandi is right, the more stuff in a map, potentially the more stuff u put in a map, the more 'laggy' it gets.

its all to do with how good ( or not ) your computer is.

a fast computer with a good graphics card such as GeForce 3 or Radeon 8500 will not really experience a laggy map because they can render the graphics very fast.

the 'lag' in a map is missed frames where the action is not smooth and jerks. this is when the 'frames per second' drops below 60. any faster than that and your eyes dont really notice, but the more frames per second the smotther the game play appears. the best graphics cards can run a game at over 200 FPS. producing smooth and 'lag' free gameplay.

the more objects there are in a map the more laggy it can get, because the computer and graphics card has to work faster to render the objects. each graphics card has a limit on how much stuff it can render and how quickly, so if it reaches it limit it will start to miss frames causeing jerky ( laggy ) game play.

if u put 1000 objects in a map, ppl's computers will struggle to run the graphics smoothly and they will start to complain.

tactical placement of items can help reduce video lag, lots of items placed in a close area will cause more lag. flat objects cause less lag. ppl, helos and see through onjects case the most lag.

i could go on for longer but u can see what i mean i hope.

Arctic Wolf made a document about video lag, its in the tutorials section ( dflw ) on the main page