Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

Old 03-21-2002, 11:17 AM
EL_Bastardo UFP is offline EL_Bastardo UFP

Cool maps on df-hq

hi all... i've a question about the best maps with the most stars... i've made some maps and they've 3 - 4 stars... sure that's not a problem for me... only i saw wicked maps with 5 stars and a lot of objects in this maps... sure this maps are nice to look... but i don't like too unrealistic maps and i put at the maximum only 300 objects in... i think lesser is often more... and i don't like laggy maps... so my question is... it's possible to get 5 stars without a map with ~1000 objects??? i've sent three maps more... and i hope it gives in the next time one map from me with 5 stars... when not i'll produce and produce... ;-)

sorry about my bad english...

greetingz... EL_Bastardo UFP
Old 03-21-2002, 12:29 PM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
good post

ask Panther

lol seriously u have made a good comment that im sure other people wonder about. damn tough 1 to answer also.

im speaking what i THINK but maybe not 100% actual ( maybe Panther can fill in full details ). to fully test a map would need many games played on it, on all game types it supports. this would mean testing on a server with different numbers of players etc, to find the 'true' rating of a map. i hope u can understand that that is not really possible. we have had other map reviewers but its not fair on them for us to say, do this and do that because it is not fun for them. i think first impressions of a map count for a lot. so therefore impressive looking maps ( usually ones with many objects ) stand out and make u say 'wow'. im sorry thats the way it is

i think anyone who only downloads the 5* maps is missing out a great deal. its seriously worth checking out the 3 and 4* maps if not all. everyone has a type of map that they like the most, and for Panther it's CQB maps, but hes a good judge and i wouldnt say anything against him ( he does all the work ).

hey no worries about ur english, things like that don't matter here

thanks a bunch for sending us your maps

Old 03-21-2002, 05:45 PM

yes i know the first impression of a map count a lot... and i'm not angry about 3 stars... but my personal opinion is... anybody should have the possibility to host my maps without a very good connection... but maybe i made in the future two versions of a map... one with max. 300 objects and one for stronger host with much more objects... so everybody can host... and the point is... i can't host too big maps on my own 24/h cable host (512/128) called UFP_A/D_Stats... i hope some peoples like my maps... my UFP mates love them...

<center>i vote for more realistic maps </center>

<center>and a commercial break </center>

<center>visit</center>

<center>http://www.ufp-base.com
<center></center>

greetingz... EL_Bastardo UFP
Old 03-21-2002, 06:02 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

It's tricky rating a map... I look at alot of diffrent things. When I give a 4 star that means that map was well made. 3 stars means the map is still go but it's average meaning I see alot of the same kinda map. I look for how fun the map would be to most players. I look at the uniqueness of the map. That is what I rate on mostly. We get alot of maps.. The rating are pretty much what I like and what I think others will like. Some have diffrent opinions but I can't host a server like SB said to see if everyone likes or dis-likes the map. And again like SB said. If you only go through and download the 5 star maps you are missing ALOT! 3 and 4 star maps are some of the funnest to play on.

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 03-21-2002, 08:07 PM

thank you ~ÞÄцH£R~ for your answer... sure it's hard to rate the maps... and i accept everything you've written... i like those ratings... it give some respect and feedback to all map-makers... and i love your short comments for the maps... from 4 maps you've written by 3 maps... high action... and for me it means high action = fun... so i'm glad about my maps rating... and more will follow soon... and maybe there would be one for a highest rating... but it's more important that i like my maps

keep up your good work... i think all who host "DF-HQ" maps... or upload the own maps on the DF-HQ site... are happy with your works...

greetz... Bastardo...
Old 03-21-2002, 08:18 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

Quote:
Originally posted by EL_Bastardo UFP
but it's more important that i like my maps
Yes! that is the most importent thing in making maps.

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 03-21-2002, 10:33 PM
zza1pqx is offline zza1pqx

Send a message via ICQ to zza1pqx Send a message via Yahoo to zza1pqx
It is very very hard when there are so many maps out there and so many opinions too.
I downloaded the cqb map pack for my server from here and found that I didn't enjoy playing on any of them as they were either too laggy or simply not the kind of map I enjoy.

I have filled my server with maps from DF-HQ but found I had to do it one at a time from people whom I know design maps I like.

That is where the individual reviews are sooooooo good.
I don't personally give a monkeys if the clipping isnt just right on some maps, neccessary for a 5 star rating, I just want to know if I can play fast and have fun.

A lot of the 3 star maps are my favourites rather than the MOW for instance.

Including of course the one map I have ever made....

Old 03-22-2002, 06:53 PM
DeDRAGE is offline DeDRAGE

Ive had the same problem with the map packs. I install them and then Just only like one or two. I for one love CQB maps. Thats just my thing. But some of them just lag too much. So I made a few of my own. Will be sending them in soon. I agree I have to download them one at a time and trust me I delete many.

Old 03-22-2002, 06:54 PM
DeDRAGE is offline DeDRAGE

But to all the Map Makers out there. Keep it up. Its a lot of fun seeing the different ideas that people come up with. LOL I for one enjoy them more than the stock maps.

Old 03-22-2002, 07:34 PM

lol... sorry... for me... stock maps sucks... this maps are too bad in my eyes... too normaly... and absolutly not interessting... i love those diffrent own made maps much more... than ever novalogic maps... why it gives a map editor??? while NL is to bad to make some really good multiplayer maps... muahahahaha... that's the truth about Novalogic ... but i'm still happy that they gave us a tool kit for better maps

Visit http://www.ufp-base.de

sorry but the whole homepage is in german now... hehe
Old 03-25-2002, 02:53 AM

hell... i'm so happy ... my first map with 5 stars... and it's not one... there are two maps with the highest rating... more maps follow soon... i hope i can hold my quality of maps on top... if anybody like my maps... but don't like that all are in the gametyp attack&defend... i'm too sluggish to change them in another gametyp... what can you do??? it's easy if you know the missionseditor... download the map... unzip and then you'll see that i add in every zip-file the *.mis files... so if u wandt make a dm/tdm/koth/tkoth map from my A&D maps... and i'm not angry when u upload this changed map again on the DF-HQ or on another DF-Resource site... the only thing what i wandt... the mapname should be the same like before and by the mission designer... add your name after EL_Bastardo UFP... for example it should show by mission designer EL_Bastardo UFP modified by YourNick... and everything is all right for me...

Visit http://www.ufp-base.de

sorry but the whole homepage is in german now... hehe