Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Gaming Talk
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Gaming Talk Post all your game related stuff here. This includes PC, Console, Handhelds etc.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:43 AM
Grenademan is offline Grenademan

I changed the blowtorch strengths, so now the bots only use them to burn enemy tanks to molten steel instead of setting each other alight.

So here are the things i have achieved Battlefield Vietnam (astericks = i had help to code these)

Note: All of the things i have done were never available in the stock game(s)

1. Bots in the Huey co-pilot position now fire the miniguns better, and also fire grenades better.
2. Bots in the co-pilot Cobra position now fire the HEAT missiles in realistic fashion.
3. Bots now go for vehicles more often.
4. Bots will also position themselves in free positions in multi-person vehicles.
5. Bots use pistols.
6. Bots use knives.
7. Bots use the M79 *
8. Bots use Caltrops.
9. Bots use mines.
10. Bots use the coaxial machinegun when driving tanks.
11. All ai infantry weapon ranges increased.
12. All vehicle ai weapon ranges increased.
13. Bots use the blowtorch.
14. Bots now fire handweapons on enemy aircraft.
15. Bot aircraft weapons have been fixed, so now they freely engage ground targets (very devastating)
16. Bots in the chinook pilot position will use the machineguns to engage all targets.
17. Bots tendancy to bail out of helicopters when in the pilot position has been decreased *
18. Bot accuracy greatly increased *
19. Overall bot aggression increased *
20. Bots use punjisticks and bouncing betty explosives (but still need some work)
21. Bots sometimes throw grenades at infantry.
22. All weapon strengths have been redone, so now bots use items sensibly.
23. Bots sitting on the Huey slicks will now fire at ground and air targets.

And here's the things that are left to do:
1. Bots need to use binoculars properly.
2. Bots still need to deploy mortars.
3. Bots need to use the wrench and medpacks.
4. Need to code in the Timebomb for bot use.
5. Need to decrease bot hesitation.
6. Bots act wierd when enemys are inches from themselves. This needs to be fixed.
7. Need to code in some radio commands for bot use.
8. Need to find out how to be able to hear the bot's call for artillery.
9. Some maps need to have increased bot numbers.
10. Some maps need to have ai strategies looked at and tweaked.

Here's what I've done in Battlefield 1942. Its not much, but it is more succesful that Vietnam.

1. Bots use knives.
2. Bots use landmines.
3. Bots call for artillery.
4. Overall bot aggression has been GREATLY increased.
5. Bot accuracy has been increased (still needs work)

What i have to do:
1. Code in radio commands for bot use.
2. Need to find out how to be able to hear the bot's call for artillery.
3. Some maps need to have increased bot numbers.
4. Some maps need to have ai strategies looked at and tweaked.

And i'll try and get some screenies of the bots using their brand new items...
Old 01-08-2007, 11:45 AM
Mauser 98K is offline Mauser 98K

lol, i was getting chaced by a bot in the FAV buggie in BF2 today, sorry to say i got splatted, lol.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:05 PM
HellBoy is offline HellBoy

Send a message via ICQ to HellBoy
So is this downloadable Mauser??? Please please please.

Old 01-08-2007, 01:19 PM

umm, lol. its 43.1mb have to be on a disk or something, i tried to upload it and it says remaining time is 92hr-23min-45sec , take a bloody month to upload it, lol.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:31 PM
Chrispy is offline Chrispy

Send a message via MSN to Chrispy Send a message via Yahoo to Chrispy
I tested the mod out yesterday and yay! Crosshairs are off! Except for the grenade launcher, but then I fixed that once I exitted the game.

I still don't approve of my ''colour enhanced'' BHD menus and stuff I made. Maybe something different would do...

Chris
Intel Core Duo E7300 2.66GHz // SuperTalent DDR2 800 2GB // ASUS nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB // Western Digital 7200RPM 320GB SATA // LG GH-20LS 20X SATA DVD-RAM // Windows XP Pro 32-bit // Thermaltake XP550 NP 430W // Thermaltake SOPRANO SECC Black
Old 01-08-2007, 06:57 PM

LOL went through teh sheets.

I did some testing and made a medic that when you touch you can be ''automatically revived'' but it gave me a sysdump.txt! Both because I made it a ''powerup'' and gave it a ''powerup command''.

And, I changed the ''error hip'' sheet or whatever that makes the gun harder to fire, etc. but that didn't do crap lol.

And for some reason my crosshairs were back too! I thought I made a backup of the weapon.def without the crosshairs and then did some mucking around with the recoil lol. But I got my weapon.def back in without the crosshairs lol.

Dunno why Nova gave crosshairs to the mortar which is only for the ''spawned explosions'' and the cannon for the technical...

Just hope everything else goes fine.

Might ask some guys to extract some JO sounds for BHD lol.

And for some reason the clicking sound in my mod is gone! Gotta get it back in!

* Edit:
Whoa, it is in the .pff. WTF? Might as well re-add it in.
And crap it doesn't work... Gotta fix this...

Chris
Intel Core Duo E7300 2.66GHz // SuperTalent DDR2 800 2GB // ASUS nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB // Western Digital 7200RPM 320GB SATA // LG GH-20LS 20X SATA DVD-RAM // Windows XP Pro 32-bit // Thermaltake XP550 NP 430W // Thermaltake SOPRANO SECC Black
Old 01-08-2007, 08:14 PM

It seems now that getting the bots to use radio commands is a lost cause, so i'll just let that slip away.

Did some more coding this morning and now the bots use Timebombs pretty well. I also caught NVA snipers booby trapping an entire road with bouncing bettys. We couldn't pass...

And im also heading back into the mortar/binocular calamity. Have to figure out how to get those bloody bots to set down the tubes! ARGH!!!
Old 01-08-2007, 08:31 PM
IcIshoot is offline IcIshoot

Send a message via AIM to IcIshoot Send a message via MSN to IcIshoot Send a message via Yahoo to IcIshoot
@ Chrispy: Are you sure the LWF files are what you think they are?

I just opened up 2 of them in notepad... it looks more like a database then a music file. It contains references to .wav files that already exist in the localres.pff file.

Plus commands to copy the wav files.

IcI
Old 01-08-2007, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by icishoot
@ Chrispy: Are you sure the LWF files are what you think they are?

I just opened up 2 of them in notepad... it looks more like a database then a music file. It contains references to .wav files that already exist in the localres.pff file.

Plus commands to copy the wav files.

IcI
Hmm... I saw that ''code'' in XnView. That's a mystery I guess. I'm pretty sure they are in some way related to the music. For some reason when I renamed one of the .lwf files to ''dfvmenu.lwf'', I thought the menu music would change... no luck. Unlikely it is anyway.

And take a hit at this: A while back on NovaWorld, I asked a moderator where I can locate the music, and the cheeky ass gave me a link to download the BHD music on the NovaLogic site!

BTW guys, for some reason when I loaded up my old XCEL mod, the click sound will go well. For some reason in my XCEL LITE, it doesn't work! So basically I'm gonna create a new .pff with all the same stuff! Nothing heavy really lol, just seems to happen.

Now I asked on Nova-Inside if someone can get the JO gun sounds too. Now I feel like taking the LW sounds off lol. If I add in the JO sounds, there'll be LW and JO sounds which don't really go together. And the LW sounds are not as loud so I combined them with BHD sounds... So some sounds you can hear combined (LW and BHD), and some sounds totally different lol (JO) so yeah...

I just hope things turn out good lol. Wish me luck lol.

* Edit: I created a new .pff and no luck. The only .pff that has the clicking sound working is the original with the old objects in it. I'm gonna use that, put in all the new stuff and take out all the new stuff. I just hope that it works...

* Edit: IT WORKS! WOOT! The selection sound which is an LW reloading sound is back!

Chris

Last edited by Chrispy; 01-08-2007 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:05 AM

My tweaking adventures are coming to an end. Ive decided to not bother with the mortars but instead focus on the one last thing. Binoculars. Then when thats done, there'll be no more left to do except fine-tune everything. And then when thats done, well, then its done. I'll have some pretty aggressive bots to play with.

So...yeah.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:17 AM

Sad endings...

BTW front-liner and Mauser, if you want to find radio commands, e.g: if it there is a command called ''Roger that.'', I'd search for that in the file that holds it. You've probably tried... likely that you have anyway.

I wanna get those JO sounds ASAP lol.

* Edit: Get on MSN front-liner! I'm missing the great BFV modder! :P

Chris
Old 01-09-2007, 12:49 PM

I might wanna go play Deep Jungle mod now lol.

Funny about the mod... In my profile, I've completed the BHD campaign, but it reckons I've completed the Deep Jungle one lol. Weird, but true. So I play them from Instant Action.

For now, I might go play the mod, after some more tweaking lol.

* Edit: IcI, I think the .lwf has some relation to music as well as IrfanView can open up .lwf files and stuff, and it can't open the .lwf I have! Not XnView, etc.

Well, it's alright anyway. There's some way...

Chris

Last edited by Chrispy; 01-09-2007 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chrispy

BTW front-liner and Mauser, if you want to find radio commands, e.g: if it there is a command called ''Roger that.'', I'd search for that in the file that holds it. You've probably tried... likely that you have anyway.
Im on MSN now!! WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU THEN!? I cant be online all teh freakin time.

EDIT: Not for much longer...

And you can't just 'search' for one simple word dude. I know you dont know anything about the battlefield game files, but still. Searching for one little word is like trying to find one particular star in a clear night's sky. Very hard and time consuming. Fortuanately, i know where my radio commands are. Either way, ive given up on them.

So now its just fine-tuning, binocular usage and getting the bots to use wrenches and medpacks.

Last edited by Grenademan; 01-09-2007 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:50 PM

Yah I know ya can't be online all the time, lol. 15-25 minutes after I said to get on MSN I probably signed out 'cause I had to turn off... or something... dunno.

And considering it's probably the first time you BFV tweaking, it's actually good you got this far. Do whatever means neccesary to back up your work! It will be extremely hard making bots do everything you can do in BFV so I'd leave it at that for now. GJ bro.

Now I'm still mapping for my mod really... and yah...

Basically I've come up with 15 map designs, then I'm going to ''mass re-produce'' all of the maps I did and have a DM, TDM, TKOTH, FB, CTF, A&D, and S&D for every design. According to my accurate calculations last night, that leaves me with 105 maps. That's the sh!t.
So that's 15 x 7 (15 being how many designs and 7 being the map game modes ).

And what else? Still looking for a damn guy getting the sounds off Joint Operations for me.

And front-liner, if you want, I can maybe register at a BFV coding forum and give you some additional assistance with asking for help just before you do the finishing touches.
If I'm not on MSN, just PM me. Kick my ass if my PM box is full lol. And yah... :P

Umm... haven't heard from Mauser that much yet lol. WTF are ya?!

Chris

Last edited by Chrispy; 01-09-2007 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:59 PM

Im already registered on a battlefield single player forum. The people there are wise when it comes t oAI coding and its where i've gotten much information from, as well as having my questions answered. Not just for Vietnam, but for all battlefield games.

I've run into a snag in BF42 however. Bots are for some reason ignoring all stationary weapons, particularly the fixed machineguns. But only the axis bots do it, which really makes the Omaha map pretty dull and boring. I'll have to sort it out ASAP.

I also reinstalled the two expansion packs for BF42, so tahts more coding for me to do.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:12 PM

A friend on MSN is fortunately gonna get those JO sounds for me lol. Gonna take off the LW gun sounds probably... they don't really seem well suited with JO. LW is back in 2000, and JO is in 2004; so you could hear some ''classic'' and ''awesome'' sounds which won't really go TBH. But hey!, I've got an LW clicking sound in the game and some LW sounds (over 25!) in the MED!

Well front-liner, if you want perfection, spend as much time as you can coding. Yeah it's stressful probably as much as what I'm doing probably, but you'll soon pick up things more faster... until you're an evil genius! Muhahahaha!

BTW front-liner, I'm currently on MSN for a few more ''whiles'' probably lol.

Chris
Old 01-10-2007, 06:09 AM

Dude, i'll be on msn when im on. Quit waiting for me. My net times have changed.

No, this machinegun problem is much more stressful than you could imagine. Just a mount before they were working fine, i made ONE change...ONE (that i cant even remember where) and now its fooked. Just as well i backed everything up beforehand, but if that doesnt work...then heck knows whats wrong.

But i'll be tweaking just a wee bit longer. Vietnam tweaks have been pretty much finished (besides the medpacks and wrenches thing)...
Old 01-10-2007, 04:33 PM

Na it's all sweet front-liner. Ain't pressuring you to go on at all. Just stating. BTW, my Net times have changed too.

And about your machine gun ''fookup''? Ya, I hate it when you make a backup, then you stuff up, and then you load up the backup and it's still the same. I've experienced it a lot when I was doing modding for BHD.

BTW, someone nice at Action-Inside got the JO sounds for me. I told her/him to zip it up and attach it in the thread. Whoa...

I gotta get some blank discs and burn my mod onto it. If anything goes wrong, I bust in with my mod CD!

Where the heck's Mauser lol.

And BTW Mauser, remember when you said in DFX you took off the old school scopes? And you were talking about the ''flags inset'' or whatever? Well I'm doing pretty much the same as you! The ''flags'', tweaks, etc. crap lol.

Only thing that bugs me now is if I should let the Gunner use the Satchel lol. By default, the Gunner uses all the guns, except the sniper and MP5 pretty much. And in my mod, I made it so they can only use machine guns, and then I let them have the claymore and satchel. Just like what I said in my Readme I made for my mod: "if they're the "beefy" class, explosives are beefy too!"
So I reckon they should use 'em...

LOL. So yah... hehe...

Chris
Old 01-10-2007, 07:11 PM

Problem solved! Bots are now back on the machineguns. Omaha still isnt what it really was, but its a tad bit better now with the German Defguns blowing us up as we advance up the hill. I also made some nice tweaks in the two BF42 expansion packs. But some more work still needs to be done. I cant be doing any today, its a blistering 40 degrees outside and my flat is in the thick of it...so yeah. Havr to fool around on the net for a while.

ROFL and on a completely random note, i had an encounter with a real life Russian when i was at work the other night! I was stoked. He was asking me what the 'serve per value' thing or something means on a bottle of ginger beer. I said to him honestly "i have no idea, mate." And then he goes "i know its not your fault, but ------------------- tomatoes -----------" I couldnt hear what he said becuase there was an announcment over the PA. But then he walked off, turned around and asked where the eggs were.
"12" I said.
He looked at me like "WTF!?"
"Aisle 12" I repeated.
Still he stands with a blank stare.
We then walked towards each other and i asked him if it were eggs he was looking for. He said "Da" (or however that Russian word is spelt)
And so i told him.
And off he goes...

Not that im making fun of him or anything...but my first encounter with a real Russian! OMG!!

And just last night there were Frenchies engaging in a massive discussion while purchasing goods. I couldnt tell what they were on about because they were speaking their language. There was a pretty nice looking lass in the group too. I see more people from other countries at work then i would in an airport!!!
Old 01-11-2007, 08:53 AM

lmao, did ya miss me.

been doing collage stuff, elt- industrial electronics class, almost 5hr a day pluss homework, started back monday.

havnt had much time to do anything to the gam in a couple days but dont go school fryday so ill play with it then.

dang game is becomeing a hand full, lol. i put it on expert setting and played it a hour or so on the MEC side to teach em some new moves and now im getting my butt handed to me, when i play the US side, lol