Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Novahq.net Specific > Feedback / Novahq.net Support
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Feedback / Novahq.net Support Feedback & Questions for the staff

View Poll Results: RID US OF THE HQ RATING :-)
YES, RID US OF THE HQ RATING 2 18.18%
NO, KEEP THE HQ RATING 7 63.64%
NOT SURE 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 04:34 PM
Dragonator is offline Dragonator

RID us LOL

So why not get rid of the NOVAHQ ratings and JUST have a rating system for the users with the 5 star revised appropriatly, as in a rating sys for playability , floating objects etc but only for peeps who download maps, as U were saying, not every one is happy with the sys of looking at screens and having it rated that way as it is a little unfair if u get a 2 star rating and there is atmosphere and NO floating objects. LOL

As I said in a poll post previous, MY FIRST map I made was rated as a 2 star which was fair as it was with no atmosphere and floaty objects, I got round to fixing all this with giving it an atmosphere and NO floating objects and it got the same rating, a 2 star, indicating by your rating as STILL NO ATMOSPHERE and FLOATING OBJECTS. no need to rate if u not check it out LOL.

I think there should be no HQ rating, JUST USERS.

I could consult other map makers and cum up wiv a fair 5 star user rating if u would like ?

Old 05-21-2005, 05:00 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

Like we said before, we are ducussing what we are going to do. It's not going to be done tomorrow, but we'll do something in the comming weeks. I have alot of more important matters to take care of before I dig into a new rating system for maps.

ok?

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 05-21-2005, 05:12 PM
-Tigger- is offline -Tigger-
BB

y not keep every1 happy by just keeping the 2 rating systems .. admin and user..

also, if ur a "real mapper" ratings shouldnt matter.

and i dont c the reason y anything should b changed bcos of a post a week ago by 2 ppl who hav a total of 8 posts? there should b a poll on the main site so that the views of every1 can b seen

sry if it offends ppl by the last paragraph of that post but its my view

Last edited by -Tigger-; 05-21-2005 at 05:18 PM.
Old 05-21-2005, 05:49 PM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
would be be dropping the user rating system aswell if you get bad ratings Dragonator?
Old 05-21-2005, 07:44 PM

NO steve U CAN NOT GIVE FAIR A RATING BY LOOKING AT A PICTURE, just allow the users to rate them as they will be playing them, good map, crap pic crap rating.

thats all dude.

if ya gunna rate it TEST it, and as u said b4, u are unwilling to test due to OTHER THINGS TO DO.

allow the users to rate them if they want to, IT's CALLED FEED BACK from the CONSUMER.

Old 05-21-2005, 07:45 PM
BB

Quote:
Originally posted by Dragonator

allow the users to rate them if they want to, IT's CALLED FEED BACK from the CONSUMER.
and that is exactly what the "A close look" is for
Old 05-21-2005, 07:56 PM
Lakie is offline Lakie

The map rating guide is just a guide a given rating does not mean that what is contained in the guide was the reason that it was given any rating.

Commonly i rate a standard map 2 or 3, to get anything above 3 from me must mean there is something special about the map, very good atmosphere, custom objects, unique theme etc. Maps that just look like the 100's before it and the 100's ill get in the next few months will only get 2-3.

I rarely give out 1 and never not rate a map if i can avoid it.

We do have a feature that allows the users to rate and comment on the map, this is accessed by clicking "a closer look" on the map description in the listings. We have always recomended that users use this system before deciding if a map is worth the download or not, and most do.

You have bought up queries about the operation of the map db and we are considering reform, but until we come up with something better to use, we arent going to stop the system that has worked for us for years with very minimal complaints, publicly or privately. Any changes cant and wont happen over night....

Feel free to contact me or any of the admins if you have queries, im contactable at blackbelt @ novahq dot net and welcome to the novahq.net forums
Old 05-21-2005, 08:01 PM
EDGE is offline EDGE

Send a message via ICQ to EDGE Send a message via AIM to EDGE Send a message via Yahoo to EDGE
Quote:
Originally posted by Dragonator
NO steve U CAN NOT GIVE FAIR A RATING BY LOOKING AT A PICTURE, just allow the users to rate them as they will be playing them, good map, crap pic crap rating.

thats all dude.

if ya gunna rate it TEST it, and as u said b4, u are unwilling to test due to OTHER THINGS TO DO.

and you are yelling because? Sorry dude, this isn't your site. The admins do what the feel the community would like. If you don't like something, sure you can post your thoughts. Don't yell though, especially at an admin. Like Panther said, the admins are discussing it. So, calm down.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:04 PM

When i started downloading maps I looked at the hq ratings to get an idea of good and bad maps and am SURE a lot of downloaders do, and I had also READ wot the rating sys was, and saw the 2 stars were REALY BADLY made maps or that was wot it meant, so I did not bother wiv them. L8r I found that a FEW of the HIGHER rated map I had down loaded we BAD like floating stuff and badly put together walls etc, and so I had a look at sum of the 2 stars and found a lot of them were WELL put together and JUST rated BY the BAD pc that was uploaded wiv it. HOW CAN U GIVE A 5star rating to a map just by looking at a pic thats all I am saying. How do u know that it is WELL put together and it took a long time to make by looking at a pic ? I know I can't. If there is no time to look over the maps to give a GENUINE RATING then do not rate them as all.

And if a map makers arn't supposed to be bothered by a RATING then WHY rate them in the FRIST place ??

My apologies if u think this is a yell, it is not ment as such, and the apology is there.

It's just that Myself and a few other map makers upload here and like to see the maps rated and commented on fairly, as all.

I am just saying that cos u are discussing this problem and I no a few map makers have got annoyed as the maps are rated as a 2 star which MEANS by YOUR STANDERED of rating is a B A D map, with no atmosphere and FLOATING objects, and this is not the case LOL, as they have been well made.

Last edited by Dragonator; 05-21-2005 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BB/Mike*MFA*
welcome to the novahq.net forums
THANX LOL

Old 05-21-2005, 08:14 PM
BB

u just dont kno when 2 give up...

like Edge said yes post ur views, admins r discussing (i dont c y though especially when the system is 99% complaint free) but stop going on and on, and w8 for an outcome from admins
Old 05-21-2005, 08:16 PM
Lakie is offline Lakie

Typing in capitals is netsepak for yelling, dont worry bout it, no harm done

Users will always take the screenshot more seriously when deciding whether or not to download a map than the rating, its human nature (similar situations have been proven through psych studies btw). This is partly the reason why we rate by screenshot, because we want to encourage the map makers to submit the best screenshot of the map, because it is what the users will jusge by as well as the admins.

By submitting a bad screenshot of the map then even if the admins went in and walked around and rated it, it wouldnt make a difference because users will form opinions mostly based on what they can see of the map, which is the screeshot.

As for commenting, we dont actually comment on the maps that is all completely up to the users, if you think theres a unfair comment on a map then we can deal with it, but we wont delete it just if its a bad comment, as you would know, what one person loves another person hates.

But we are working on what can be done on the map db but it takes time...
Old 05-21-2005, 08:19 PM

since myself and friends have been uploading here we have only recently become aware of the typ of rating system u have in place, and was getting a little upset wiv sum of the ratings and did not realise u just looked at a PIC and guessed wether or not it was a good or bad map, and was asked to querry this LOL, drew the short straw LMAO.

a 2 star rating means a BADLY put together map and we have been doing it for quite a while now and getting a rating of 2 stars was wot we thought was INSULTING lol, especially when the ratings cannot be justified with looking at a pic as u cannot see bad joins in walls, object flickering and floaty objects as all, HOPE u realise that sum mappers do enjoy having the maps RATED.

Old 05-21-2005, 08:23 PM

Like i said I apologies if u believe i was YELLING as I did not know thats wot CAPITOLS meant LMAO.

You could always post on the front page that u are wanting to redesign the map rating system and would like ideas on how it could be improved, as I know a couple of mappers that do LOL.

Old 05-21-2005, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BB
u just dont kno when 2 give up...

like Edge said yes post ur views, admins r discussing (i dont c y though especially when the system is 99% complaint free) but stop going on and on, and w8 for an outcome from admins
GIVING UP WAS NOT THE WAY I WAS RAISED.

NEVER SAY DIE, NEVER SURRENDER lol

sorry bud LOL

Last edited by Dragonator; 05-21-2005 at 08:30 PM.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:28 PM

also a little while ago, for sum reason, a user called deman~wb~ , Y i do not know commented on most of my maps at the time and posted It sucks on all the maps he looked at LOL, or other comments of the same nature.

Old 05-22-2005, 12:39 AM
Kandi is offline Kandi

Before I start I must say that this is My opinion...
I understand that you feel you must not give up and you have a right to free speech and that is fine to a point. But when you start harrassing the admins and such that goes too far. Once you have stated your point and brought it up to the admins you have given your opinion and just because they dont change things right away to how you feel they should be does not give you a right to start bashing it in public forums and carry on and yell at ppl because of it. I personally dont feel that they should work their butts off because one person complained and thousands of others didnt. Have you ever thought of that? maybe the problem isnt with the system but with ones perception of it.

As for your comment about testing each one... I am sure that they go through a lot of them if not all but i'll tell you something, these people have lives to. They have jobs and families and other commitments too and I think thats just selfish for you to expect that things will change immediately. Aside from that have you ever considered how many maps they DO get handed into them in a day?? and how many of them are not the greatest or "B A D" as you kindly put it? but nevertheless they must go through each and every one. Do you know how long that could take? I mean honestly? I have not viewed your maps but how are you so sure that yours are exceptional? I understand that to you they may be but "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" sorry to say it but it comes in handy here another one... "one mans garbage is another mans treasure" perhaps your maps are exceptional and perhaps they arent but maybe you should accept that maybe 2 or 3 is average. I am just going on what you are saying here... maybe if you are so furious to make a scene like this you should be looking not at the admins that have far too much to do already with running this site and forums and talking to irate people on said forums but at the people that make the mediocre maps and submit them... This is a beginner friendly page as well and we were and are there at one time in our lives try to be a little more patient... also consider that possibly not in this case but in some cases solving the problem sometimes means bending your elbow... I think that you have made your point if they agreed to rethink the map ratining process and you should be glad they are going to do so much... I am sorry to write an essay here but this has to be said...

Either way you need to be patient because no amount of yelling at anyone is going to get your point across any faster in fact... if I were them I wouldnt make any effort to do it any faster because you yelled... They work very hard at making this site what it is for you to visit and you should respect their efforts and realize that they do the very best they can and this site wouldnt be what it is or even here if it werent for them... I think we should all be thanking them instead of complaining... and if no one else will I will !PROPS TO THE STAFF FOR KEEPING THIS SITE GOING!...

Finally this is a comments and suggestions forum which is that one persons opinion... Make your point and have it done. No yelling or insulting intended, just an opinion. Take it or leave it. Thanks.

p.s. Again I state that this is My opinion and only mine... and I dont mean to stick my nose where it dont belong

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
The only thing that is my fault is me not having any faults.
Quote:
My english teacher wanted to flunk me in junior high. Thanks a lot, next semester I'll be 35.
Old 05-22-2005, 01:54 AM
Matt is offline Matt

Administrator

Send a message via MSN to Matt
all i have to say is, if u dont like the way we run things, dont submit your maps here anymore. i dont mean to be rude, but thats really how i feel, if u are upset enough to make 2 threads about it, go to barracks or inside or something.

Click here for the official member status images!

Quote:
Originally posted by Panther
For your sence of free speech, we will control how much you have here .
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve
fak i clicked it to lol.

the message "this will disable it" should have been put before

sorry
Old 05-22-2005, 05:08 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
Quote:
Originally posted by Trilogy
all i have to say is, if u dont like the way we run things, dont submit your maps here anymore. i dont mean to be rude, but thats really how i feel, if u are upset enough to make 2 threads about it, go to barracks or inside or something.
or make own perfect website

ppl dont realise how long it takes to make changes and the fact the we always discuss internally comments made by users.

typical response to something not changing instantly by someone immature and has never been involved with a website's processes is to make multiple threads, and continue moaning and winding up the admin staff.

before you annoy everyone totally please read (and believe me there is a very easy way to get rid of annoyancies):

WE UNDERSTAND YOUR PROBLEM AND ARE DISCUSSING IT INTERNALLY TO WORK OUT WHAT IS BEST FOR OUR SITE AND COMMUNITY.

Last edited by Steve; 05-22-2005 at 05:16 AM.
Old 05-22-2005, 05:17 AM
BB

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve
or make own perfect website
oh nice one steve

and P's Girl, nice reply and u just about covered everything there is on the topic, so hopefully will make things clearer
Closed Thread