Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Computers > Tech Support
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Tech Support Have a problem? Maybe we can help!

Old 11-17-2007, 09:37 AM
ShArP is offline ShArP

Send a message via ICQ to ShArP Send a message via AIM to ShArP Send a message via MSN to ShArP
Angry DSL Disconnects randomly...

Every once in a while my DSL just decides to disconnect...

i am using Verizon DSL Service

http://www22.verizon.com/content/con...28xp1_id=768kp

i was wondering if anyone could think or help me try to fix this problem because it gets annoying...

and yes it disconnects when a storm is approaching, but i mean just when there is no storm and it has no reason to disconnect...

i looked at the FAQ's on the verizon site and couldn't find anything...

Old 11-17-2007, 12:40 PM
Chrispy is offline Chrispy

Send a message via MSN to Chrispy Send a message via Yahoo to Chrispy
Is your DSL plugged into the wall right? Mine connects to a filter which connects directly to the wall (the phone cable being in that same filter as well).

Could be the cable setup.

Chris
Intel Core Duo E7300 2.66GHz // SuperTalent DDR2 800 2GB // ASUS nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB // Western Digital 7200RPM 320GB SATA // LG GH-20LS 20X SATA DVD-RAM // Windows XP Pro 32-bit // Thermaltake XP550 NP 430W // Thermaltake SOPRANO SECC Black
Old 11-17-2007, 03:24 PM
ShArP is offline ShArP

Send a message via ICQ to ShArP Send a message via AIM to ShArP Send a message via MSN to ShArP
mine goes from my computer - router/modem (what ever it is called) - wall

and checked it all and it is all fine...

Old 11-17-2007, 03:41 PM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
you using a P2P program any type? my brother had his ADSL Service disconnect him for using it & they told him if he keep on using they would disconnect him for good and report him in for the P2P he using.

you need to call them up find out more details what is going on.

limited downloads
use a P2P
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]
Old 11-17-2007, 03:49 PM
ShArP is offline ShArP

william, r u talking about, just a random example like limewire or something like that?

Old 11-17-2007, 03:55 PM
IcIshoot is offline IcIshoot

Send a message via AIM to IcIshoot Send a message via MSN to IcIshoot Send a message via Yahoo to IcIshoot
This happens to me almost every night (and no - I don't use any p2p software).

our dsl provider said that we have to call them while it is down for them to be able to check it out...

How long does it stay down?
Old 11-17-2007, 03:55 PM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
yes any type of P2P limewire and other type

all so it could mean they have some were a bad wire lead or hardware they need to fix or replace.

you phone jack box outside check it for ants hills they some times make a nest in them, road side phone box as will. they get up into it. we had a phone jack box that got flooded out on a road side last year

we even had road work done were they damage the main line and did not report it tobe repair, the phone company had fun trying to find were it was damage under the ground to fix it
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]

Last edited by Hellfighter; 11-17-2007 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:44 PM
Chrispy is offline Chrispy

Send a message via MSN to Chrispy Send a message via Yahoo to Chrispy
Also, scan for spyware, viruses, etc.

Chris
Intel Core Duo E7300 2.66GHz // SuperTalent DDR2 800 2GB // ASUS nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB // Western Digital 7200RPM 320GB SATA // LG GH-20LS 20X SATA DVD-RAM // Windows XP Pro 32-bit // Thermaltake XP550 NP 430W // Thermaltake SOPRANO SECC Black
Old 11-18-2007, 02:25 AM
Jckl is offline Jckl

Does it seem to happen more when the phone is in use or rings? The best thing to do is go around the house in every room and see if there is something plugged into a phone jack, If there is then you need to place a filter between that device and the wall. The device will plug into the side of the filter labeled phone if it is a filter with whats called a give back jack. The DSL modem itself is the only device that will not need a filter. If you have an alarm system that connects to the phone line(may be done outside) then you should contact your alarm company and inform them you have dsl and that it may need to be filtered. They can also do that outside.

If the DSL is having problems only when it storms then you may be getting water or moister in the phone box outside and causing it to short or something.
As to the ISP saying they can only help when its out is not entirely correct. Some can run tests to monitor the line. Also they should run a line test and see if everything comes back correctly or not. It may come back fine but if you get someone that believes there may be a problem on the ISP side then you could get them to put in a trouble ticket and get some monitoring/help done. In most cases like this is inproper filtering or something on the customers side however.

Like said above it could be a bad line but this would show bad signal when the ISP runs tests. Now it could be crossed lines which means your line and a neighbors lines could be crossed causeing their phone to disconnect your dsl. If your line has a lot of splices off of it or if its just an old line it could have a bad signal.

Hope something here helps you..

http://www.projekt6.com
http://www.SteadfastWebSolutions.com - Need web development or Hosting? Visit us!
Old 11-18-2007, 11:17 AM
ShArP is offline ShArP

William - i turned off my P2P thing and it hasn't disconnected as of right now and there hasn't been any road work done around my house lately...

Chris - I scan for both viruses and for spy ware 1-2 times a week

Jckl - this happens to a lot of people i know when i storms so it doesn't bother me...

Old 11-18-2007, 07:55 PM
Xx_jet_xX is offline Xx_jet_xX

Send a message via Yahoo to Xx_jet_xX
sounds like a bad line to me.

WTF-Squad

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day. -George Carlin
Old 11-19-2007, 12:19 PM
ShArP is offline ShArP

ever since i turned off my P2P program it hasn't disconnected yet, thanks William

Old 11-19-2007, 07:22 PM
Jckl is offline Jckl

could still be a bad line even tho the p2p program fixed it. If you have a bad line the p2p program can put your line at max bandwidth and if you have a bad line this could cause it to drop the connection. Either way if your ok with having the p2p off then that is always one way to go.

http://www.projekt6.com
http://www.SteadfastWebSolutions.com - Need web development or Hosting? Visit us!