Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Computers > Tech Support
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Tech Support Have a problem? Maybe we can help!

Old 08-15-2003, 10:34 AM
JimDirt is offline JimDirt

Send a message via ICQ to JimDirt
Worm or ?????

OK im having a serious problem , i turned on my pc and it lost all my desktop ,email ,documents,favorites, and when i shut down ,the system did nothing i control/alt/del and it showed no process hanging system , so i was forced to hold power button to shut off, i tried the worm tool to find the worm and it showed nothing in my system , so i reformatted ,and all seemed well it would shut down , and everything seemed ok , i installed TFD and it gave me a error "Not Enough Virtual Memory To Run Game, Lower Your Video Settings" ,it had been shutting down till this point , so i tried to reboot and it wont shut off unless i hold the power button till it shuts off, i get no error when i reboot so it must have been trying to shut off but couldnt, ,i have tried the Symantec worm removal tool ,it found nothing, i tried the Panda tool ,it found nothing ! so i am at a loss , my system is just been redone 2 days ago with new cpu and ram , i am running 2 hard drives one with XP home and the other with 2000 pro both have been reformatted and both now have problems that i cant seem to resolve,, my system is :::AMD Athlon XP 3000+ / 1 gig of pc2700 DDR ram / Asylum TI 4200 128mb video card / sound blaster 512 live sound card / 512 cable win XP home(on 60gig hd) and Win 2000 Pro (on 30 gig hd) i put a switch on the case to boot off which ever hd i want ,if anyone knows how i can fix this please respond ASAP , as i cant figure out why the reformatting didnt work!!
Old 08-19-2003, 05:03 PM
BeBop is offline BeBop

Send a message via ICQ to BeBop Send a message via AIM to BeBop Send a message via Yahoo to BeBop
it sounds like a issue of no video drivers being installed or you have your display higher than your monitor/grahpics card can handle, try updating you graphics drivers and it could also be the double OS's on there as well...
Old 08-20-2003, 11:18 AM
JimDirt is offline JimDirt

Send a message via ICQ to JimDirt
my double OS means i have 2 hard drives ,one with XP and one with 2000 pro, my vid card is fine heres my specs again,,,,AMD Athlon XP 3000+ ,,1gig DDR ram ,,Asylum TI 4200 128mb video card,with 44.03 driver (latest driver), Creative 512 sound blaster live sound card,, Maxtor 60gig HD,,Maxtor 30gig hd,, where im begining to think the problem is ,is in Direct X 9.0, my other hard drive was working fine as far as shut down till i installed Direct X 9.0 and now its doing the same as the other , it hangs on shut down now , but what i dont know is ,Can you install Direct X 8 over 9 ,because when you go to microsoft it says 9 cannot be uninstalled ,so im wondering will that make a conflict and screw my system up worse,by going back to Direct X 8 ????,i dont relly want to reformat again ,as i have done this 6 times in the last 3 weeks and i have lost some data because of it , that for some reason wouldnt save (it was mainly my email ,i have never had a prob saving my mail settings with 98SE ,but XP and 2000 Pro seem to give me grief transfering or even finding the outlook info (i can find outlook but cant import or export mail settings ,just address book) anyway is it possible to go back to 8 without errors???