Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Computers > Tech Support
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Tech Support Have a problem? Maybe we can help!

Old 05-24-2008, 10:33 PM
Sybell is offline Sybell

Sad Issue with home network play?

I got three computers finally hooked up at home where wanted to duplicate the multiplayer capability we have at teh office. I have the computers as part of a workgroup, all running XP Pro SP2 with firewalls off and no antivirus. I am using a Linksys wireless router WRT54GS that is hooked to my Cable Modem. It is functioning as a DHCP issuing IP addresses to my computers. I can login to Novaworld with accounts on computer a and b. I start hosing on computer a, can search and find the game that is hosted on computer a on computer b's dfx, and click join. However it gives me an error and says either the server cannot be reached or has a problem issuing join and to contact tech support. I found out through further troubleshooting that computer b is knocking computer a off of novaworld once it has tried to connect to join the game. I then cannot get back into novaworld on computer a until I restart. It is not affecting internet traffic at all. I can hit all sites in my browser but the game just cannot reach novaworld. What is going on here? Is novaworld cutting me off because it sees one IP address for two games or something? If anybody has any ideas I would really appreciate it. I was really looking forward to playing with the family on this.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:01 PM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
think it mainly the firewall.

i getting the same error as will.

my system "remote access" error
Quote:
Event Type: Warning
Event Source: RemoteAccess
Event Category: None
Event ID: 20169
Date: 5/24/2008
Time: 4:59:09 PM
User: N/A
Computer: XXXE-9DB6FXXXXX
Description:
Unable to contact a DHCP server. The Automatic Private IP Address 169.254.58.20 will be assigned to dial-in clients. Clients may be unable to access resources on the network.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
asker some what
Quote:
Details
Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 20169
Source: RemoteAccess
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: ROUTERLOG_AUTONET_ADDRESS
Message: Unable to contact a DHCP server. The Automatic Private IP Address %1 will be assigned to dial-in clients. Clients may be unable to access resources on the network.

Explanation
The Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) engine on the server side, cannot get IP addresses from the DHCP server and assign an automatic IP address to the clients. Since the client gets an automatic private IP address, it might not have access to all the resources on the network.

User Action
Do one or all of the following:

Determine whether the DHCP server is running.
Verify that the DHCP server can be contacted by the server running Routing and Remote Access.
Verify that the DHCP server is configured with enough IP addresses for all potential VPN clients.

Currently there are no Microsoft Knowledge Base articles available for this specific error or event message. For information about other support options you can use to find answers online, see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx
think my is disable not 100% on that going to look into it see about it this week, been working like a dog lately doing other things around the house and my ladys home as will
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]

Last edited by Hellfighter; 05-24-2008 at 11:13 PM.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:18 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
sometimes if you're playing the same game over a lan especially if you'e in the same server you can get connection problems because they are trying to share the same port to send and receive the data.

i had probs with novaworld and DF games in the past in the same situation.

it would be worth setting up port forwarding on your router. it might seem a bit tricky if you havent done it before but it's definately worth trying.

go here there is step by step guide for your router: http://portforward.com/english/route...T54GSindex.htm

you dont say what game you're playing but there is a few NL games in the list so you might be lucky.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:03 AM
IcIshoot is offline IcIshoot

Send a message via AIM to IcIshoot Send a message via MSN to IcIshoot Send a message via Yahoo to IcIshoot
you have different novaworld accounts for each computer?

If you try the port forwarding, I would give your computers a static IP - that way you only have to forward the port once, and not go back and update the settings if the computer's IP changes...

As for you william - fix is easy: give your computer a static IP address and don't use DHCP.

I have found that using static IP's on my networks (assuming they are small) are easier to manage then DHCP.

ici
Old 05-25-2008, 12:41 PM
Chief ADFP

btw i got told by my internet service i need to re-install TCIP into windows xp to fix it DHCP error

i not using high speed connection in this desktop, and DHCP is for high speed connection, my is dailup

will i un-install my modem totally and re-install it back in, in hope that may have fix it

Last edited by Hellfighter; 05-25-2008 at 01:16 PM.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to IcIshoot Send a message via MSN to IcIshoot Send a message via Yahoo to IcIshoot
DHCP is for networking period - whether its used in highspeed or local networks is beside the point - and yes it can be used in dial-up sessions, although that is done at the dial-up server side.

It sounds like to me you have possibly a network card in your computer that either isn't being used, or you don't have any thing on your network that can act as a dhcp server - such as a router.

At least that has been my experience
Old 05-25-2008, 01:56 PM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
Quote:
Originally posted by William
btw i got told by my internet service i need to re-install TCIP into windows xp to fix it DHCP error
interesting as that is not possible in XP
Old 05-25-2008, 03:41 PM
Sybell is offline Sybell

Did you get your error information from DFX or from Event Viewer in windows. If it was Windows, where can you get to Event Viewer in XP?
Old 05-25-2008, 03:41 PM
Chief ADFP

will i unstall the modem and rebooted the system, don't see the error pass 2hrs now
Old 05-25-2008, 03:46 PM
Sybell is offline Sybell

My issue is not with modem. I have wireless NIC card on computer b and direct connect to wireless router with computer a
Old 05-25-2008, 03:50 PM

got two different issues going on here - yours and william's - I doubt his fix is going to be your fix....

As I asked earlier, you using different novaworld accounts for each computer?
Old 05-27-2008, 10:53 AM
Sybell is offline Sybell

Yes different Novaworld accounts for each computer. SHould I attempt port forwarding on the wireless router? If so, should I use the IP addresses it is assigning already as statics?
Old 05-27-2008, 03:56 PM
Mauser 98K is offline Mauser 98K

i got 3 pc connected and works fine for me, i got my stuff set up connected into a HUB using ethernet adapters and got 1 computer setup as the host.

i got my line for internet on this computer and set it up as a shared internet connection, and the 2 other computers set up as guest on my internet, i dont have a router, i assigned each computer an ip address for the ethernet\network and my internet ip is set to automatic on the host/internet compatable pc but a static ip address for the ethernet card.

but do ya have IPX/SPX/NetBios protocol installed

might not work for some , i got a strange setup for my network, and all my computers are hybrids of more than 1 pc lol, benifits of using what i have.

made all the cables, modded the power supplys to getem to work with my pc and had to redo some things in windows to keep it from rejecting my hardware setup, tech support told me it was all imposable to make my setups work but hey im typing here, lol.

Last edited by Mauser 98K; 05-27-2008 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:45 AM
Sybell is offline Sybell

but do ya have IPX/SPX/NetBios protocol installed? I do not think so. I thought DFX did not have that requirement like DF2 did. Is this correct?