Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Novahq.net Specific > Feedback / Novahq.net Support
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Feedback / Novahq.net Support Feedback & Questions for the staff

Old 01-30-2002, 05:43 AM
Winni_the_Pooh is offline Winni_the_Pooh

RollEyes Map download counter

Why cant you set a downloade counter with each map in your map section, this way we can see if the map we made was good, and maybye set the map of the week by counted downloads.
Topp 10 Downloade list. Just a hint to make a good site better.
Old 01-30-2002, 06:58 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
thanks for the suggestion m8.

i think things like that need setting up from the start and also requres some form of programming ( php asp etc ) when the site was made we were not to familiar with php coding and therefor didnt implement it. and now we have over 1000 maps and to transfer that amount of data to a new system is a hell of a lot of work as u can appreciate. Panther is a better person to answer this seeing as he is the webmaster.
writing something like that would only be able to be done by php programmer which none of us are ( yet ), there are custom scripts available but getting one to suit ur needs specifically is extremely hard and would cost money.
if we used a portal system such as phpNuke which is used by panchandheavy.com enables such features but you are limited to a certain layout and doing it yourself is much most customisable and you will get exactly what u need.

inconclusion -

1) we can either leave it how it is for the time being and keep adding new sections to the site and adding new dflw and df2 maps each day

2) find a script that my not be fully suitable ( but free ), and transfer all the maps to it, which would mean no updates at all for a few weeks leading to decreased interest in the site.

3) pay $$$ or £££ for a custom script to be built for us. which would mean a very good perfect system, but then some downtime while it is implemented.

4) spend a year @ college to learn it ouselves

5) recruit a member of staff that know php inside out and will do it for free ( very unlikely ) ( but hopeful )
Old 01-30-2002, 07:48 AM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

I have recently contacted a php programmer to build us a map database script. It may or may not count map hits. Its not as easy to work this stuff as some see it. I would have to go though and add 1000+ maps to the database. Now if you ask me that is a lot of work! I spend almost all my free time working on this site as it is and spend 40 bucks a month for the hosting. If I found a php script that was for free and matches exactly what I want then I would for sure make it our map database. But right now I dont know if that is going to happen cause it could cost 100+ for a custom script to match the needs.

Now if someone would build us a php script the way I want it for 50 bucks I would do it . Any takers?

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 01-30-2002, 08:15 AM

Biggrin

Well, no more college for my please, i think we play LW insted, and keep the site as it is.
Old 01-30-2002, 08:24 AM

oh and you people are doing a great job on this site, keep up the good work
Old 02-24-2002, 11:47 AM
Crazy Para{BPR} is offline Crazy Para{BPR}

Send a message via ICQ to Crazy Para{BPR} Send a message via Yahoo to Crazy Para{BPR}
Smile

I totally agree man the site is the dogs danglies, keep it up