Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Joint Operations
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Joint Operations Anything about the Joint Operations series of games.

Old 07-12-2006, 10:32 AM
[OBC]BIG-Ranger is offline [OBC]BIG-Ranger

Will there ever be a Joint Operations II

I moved over from Joint Operations when Battlefield 2 came out...

In a way BF2 'fixed' and added many of the features we wanted in JO ~ or in a JO2...

Soon BF2142 will be out and many are seeing that there may be a split in teh Battlefield community, where many don't want to move on to a fantasy future war game...

There are several new contemporary battlefield games coming out that might take over from BF2 - America Army 3 and Armed Assault -

BUT -

I wonder, why has there never been a Joint Operations II!!!

In many ways - JO was just as good as BF2, and the only reason many left JO for BF2 was the stats, rankings and new maps.

Woudln;t this be a good time to be thinking of an updated JO - to co-incide with the probably migration from BF2???
Old 07-12-2006, 11:25 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
yes it would be a smart move for sure.

it's a bit sketchy as to what NL are actually up to, apart from they seem to have been working on a new game for what seems like a couple of years.

if they can shift out a game before BF2142 then it will be a good time, although even after 2142 a JOII game would still be successful because BF2 will be older and those not satisfied with 2142 would check it out anyway.

i still belive NL should have continued with the Delta Force series IMHO. it had a good long standing reputation. so i would like to see a new DF title before a JOII one hehe
Old 07-12-2006, 12:14 PM
Lucky is offline Lucky

^^
true

Well now that they bought the Q3 engine, things should get interesting. They have pantented many titles for (we are assuming) games and maybe they are waiting fro a mass release to kickstart sales again.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:53 PM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
Steve
i think Novalogic will still use them charters from the Delta Force serials anyways only it be in new game type.

same bad guys as will as same good guys. maybe some newer weapons as will thats has been use today! standers new weapons being use on the battlefield.

i would love to see some jets to be use in the game as will, maybe Navy ships to call in fighter as rockets launches onto targets
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]
Old 07-12-2006, 02:51 PM
~MOUSE~ is offline ~MOUSE~

Novas next release will have to be a real kick ass game , to win back all there old disappointed players.

DFX was a big letdown and there half assed approach of patching means that I will definitely think twice about getting another nova game.

I used to play several hours a night but now I barley play several hours a month.

Old 07-13-2006, 03:01 AM

Thanks for the replies guys...

Yep, it's a shame Novalogic just seem to have fizzled out ~ 'Joint Operations' had so much going for it. That they never sorted out the whole stats issue (the way EA did with BF2) was perhaps teh biggest let down...

I have been running a post similar to this on my clan's BF2 forum, and the feedback agrees that a lot of people DON'T want to go down the route of futuristic battlefield games - half seem to still want to keep with teh contemporary battlefield theme.

And let's face it, if there wasn't a market there wouldn't be a America's Army 3 and Armed Assault being released would there?

Even while playing BF2 there were things in JO that I missed ~ I think it is no co-incidence that one of teh latest add-ons to BF2 added - by popular demand - the Little Bird helicopter. JO vets like myself missed it!

A Joint Operations II would have to sort out the following though:-

1] Stats and rankings: Novalogic only half implemented a points system in JO - what we wanted was a database where our points were held and where we were awarded ranks and medals for our hard work.

2] Map limits: Let's face it - did we REALLY need the maps in JO to be THAT big? Especially when all teh action centered around teh bases.

3] Movable spawn points: BF2 introduced the spawn on squad leader. This was great as it meant less long walks from back bases to get back to the action. Other ideas were aircraft as spawn points or movable command vehicles to spawn on.

4] Squad system: The squad system of BF2 has been a huge success so much so that other games have adopted it. It allows you and a group of your buddies to form a section of infantry who spawn on it's leader.

5] Different theatres of operation: Both JO and BF2 suffered from 'theatre fatigue' - after a while the maps became 'samey' ~ what we need is a more modular way of adding new maps in different world settings easily.

6] Modular weapons load-outs: Again, the choice of weapons became a bit tiresome after a while. There just wasn't enough variety, and having to wait for an expansion to add more just wasn't the anser. What we need is a more in-depth way of improving the weapons we have and adding new ones - perhaps a sytem like the one used in GR:AW (Ghost Recon 3) which allows you to customize your basic weapon line-up with different types of sights, grips , grenade launchers, lasers, silencers and the like.

7] Breakable buildings: The holy grail of battlefield FPS games - BF2 originally promised this but it never materialized - the new 'Armed Assault' is also promising this, but it seems limited to pre-determined things liek bridges. The battlefield game that comes out with a completely free 'breakable' environment will have gamers flocking to it!

8] Customizable uniforms/face avatars: People love to customize, and when playing amultiplater online game like JO or BF2 people also want teh enemy to recognize them ~ having the ability to design custom uniforms (with decals) or add your face to tehcharacters would be a winner!

9] Singleplayer/co-op element: While the game is mostly for multiplayer peopel DO liek to practise with a single player mode (BF2 recently had to expand their single player/AI mode because of popular demand). In my clan we use the new BF2 AI mode to do team practise for scrims - to try out tactics.

10] More armies! One of teh big successes of the BF2 franchise has been that they have regularly added new armies by means of their (less successful) 'booster packs'. What we need in any JOII is a modular way of adding new enemey armies, with new weapons and vehicles, to keep teh challenge fresh.

What do you think???
Old 07-13-2006, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve
yes it would be a smart move for sure.

it's a bit sketchy as to what NL are actually up to, apart from they seem to have been working on a new game for what seems like a couple of years.

if they can shift out a game before BF2142 then it will be a good time, although even after 2142 a JOII game would still be successful because BF2 will be older and those not satisfied with 2142 would check it out anyway.

i still belive NL should have continued with the Delta Force series IMHO. it had a good long standing reputation. so i would like to see a new DF title before a JOII one hehe
Absolutely agree 100%.

Things liek this are all about timing - it's no co-incidence that THREE 'futuristic' battlefield games have/are being release this year (game companies watch what other companies are up to!).

There are also TWO and possible three 'contemporary' battlefield games being released in the third quater of this year ~ I woudl have loved a 'Joint Operations II' to have been another.

-- I will repeat myself: JO was so close to being a truely GREAT game, that many of us who moved over to BF2 did it RELUCTANTLY. A JOII, with some of teh well known issues sorted out, would be a BF2 beater.

(NOTE: As a BF2 player I can say with a lot of authority that BF2 ISN'T that much better than JO...In fact BF2 has a LOT of problems, with bugs and glitches that JO never had. Also, JO never had to have the horse-power that BF2 had - we ALL had to upgrade our systems to switch from JO to BF2, BUT to be honest I don't really notice that much graphical improvement.)

Come on Novalogic ~ JOII by Christmas???
Old 07-18-2006, 12:28 AM
.DareDevil. is offline .DareDevil.

Send a message via ICQ to .DareDevil. Send a message via AIM to .DareDevil. Send a message via Yahoo to .DareDevil.
One thing i would like to see would be parachuting be alllowed anytime where everyone has a backpack on them where they have atleast 2 chutes.Even a flamethrower would be nice and heatseaker!

<=CP=> Forums
www.phpbbplanet.com/camouflagedp

Free PHPBB Forums
www.phpbbplanet.com

<=CP=> Teamspeak IP
209.190.31.155:5001

Free Teamspeak Server
http://www.going-live.com/vb/index.php?

Old 07-18-2006, 12:30 AM
.DareDevil. is offline .DareDevil.

Send a message via ICQ to .DareDevil. Send a message via AIM to .DareDevil. Send a message via Yahoo to .DareDevil.
Also meant to add like Battlefield V was it would be nice to be able to set booby traps all over the place cause BFV sucked.Place Mines!

<=CP=> Forums
www.phpbbplanet.com/camouflagedp

Free PHPBB Forums
www.phpbbplanet.com

<=CP=> Teamspeak IP
209.190.31.155:5001

Free Teamspeak Server
http://www.going-live.com/vb/index.php?

Old 07-18-2006, 11:03 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
i just had a thought... maybe it would have been a good idea for NL to actually produce a futuristic large scale shooter last year or so.a few tweaks to teh JO engine would have been enough to make a decent game for sure.

it's not as it they have to be factually/technically correct, as its not based on real stuff like DF/JO, so anything goes. i bet the creative team would have had a field day

they surely have to diverse at some point, the current genre is surely saturated atm?
Old 07-26-2006, 11:55 PM
Chrispy is offline Chrispy

Send a message via MSN to Chrispy Send a message via Yahoo to Chrispy
I agree with your posts Steve and [OBC]BIG-Ranger.

The only futuristic NovaLogic game is Tachyon: The Fringe I'm pretty sure.

NovaLogic don't seem to listen to their customers, they want our money but they don't get it now... so they should make a game we actually like so then they get our money!

Latest info on NovaLogic: http://www.novahq.net/forum/showthre...readid=4225799

Chris_OJB_DF645 --
Intel Core Duo E7300 2.66GHz // SuperTalent DDR2 800 2GB // ASUS nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB // Western Digital 7200RPM 320GB SATA // LG GH-20LS 20X SATA DVD-RAM // Windows XP Pro 32-bit // Thermaltake XP550 NP 430W // Thermaltake SOPRANO SECC Black