Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Joint Operations
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Joint Operations Anything about the Joint Operations series of games.

Old 05-22-2006, 12:00 PM
~Sgt.Squirmitz~ is offline ~Sgt.Squirmitz~

Need Support

Can someone tell Squirmitz how to use waypoints as area triggers in NILE? NILE IIM's explanations are idiotica.

~Semper Stupidus~

Old 05-25-2006, 11:25 AM
DeadMan-Olz is offline DeadMan-Olz

this may help m8

STEP 1 (adding heli and the AI)
> Add a heli, highlight it on the map and hit ENTER to go into the parameters. At the very top change the name to HELI
> Add an AI to the map near the heli.
> Highlight the AI and hit enter to go into it's parameters. Change the name to PILOT. This will help in later steps.
> You should also see a Team box in the AI parameters. Give it a number that you want (1 for JO, 2 for REBEL)

STEP 2 (assigning the events)
To get the AI to drive you need to create an event
> In the section where you see Tile Pallette, Objects, etc there is an

EVENT option. Choose that then choose
NEW FOLDER then
NEW EVENT then Conditional Event then
NEW ACTION (see that at the bottom area)
- For Category click and choose UNITS then Move to Unit
You should get options to choose the PILOT and then to HELI

You should be done with this section

STEP 3 (assigning the events)
You cannot eat an elephant all at once so work on getting the AI to go in the heli then let me know when you are ready to work on setting waypoints and having the helicopter follow the waypoint.
In the markers section there is a value called WAYPOINT, add 1 or more waypoints. This is where it can get tricky. For a heli you have t make sure there will be nothing in the way where you place the waypoints. I typically try to add 1 waypoint 1st then test it to make sure it works, then add 1 by 1 and go from there.

STEP 4 Driving vehicles
> Add a waypoint, click it and give a height parameter of whatever you want (try 20 to test).
>Then you would need to create a waypoint list so go to the WAYPOINTS option and if a folder list doesn't exist create a new waypoint list
> Now go to the map area (2d mode) and click on the waypoint. NOTE- if you had a list of waypoints you wanted the vehicle to follow you would click them in order. Choose the LOOP option if you want the vehicle to loop around and around. I use this when I want AI to walk around a perimiter.
> The waypoint list can be given a name by clicking the list words and renaming it for your personal preference.

STEP 5 Telling AI or vehicle to follow waypoint list
> Just like you did when you made the AI go to the heli, you setup another event, but this time instead of choosing UNIT move to Unit you would choose Unit Move TO Waypoint.
> It will give you the options to choose the objects so choose HELI to (your waypoint list)

When you test you should see the AI get in heli then head to the waypoint. If you had a list of them the helie would follow it in order.

Old 06-19-2006, 10:35 AM
Gen. Electric is offline Gen. Electric

HMM I dont know why the guy before me made it so complicated, but hey maybe I got it all wrong ??

Using Waypoints as triggers/areatriggers

Set up a waypoint whereever you need to detect an intruder. Check the ID and then you can use em like

if ssnnearssn(ID_WP,AI,distance) and never then
text("Bad guy in sight")
endif

I think what you are looking for is something else.:
You want to detect a human PLAYER when he enters an area. Works like this :

Place an object underneath the area of interest. Object should still be over ground a bit. U can use concrete slabs for instance.

then handcode in your WAC:

If ssnride(ID_of_Object) and never then
text("Human Player detected")
endif

This will also trigger if a bot walks over it !!
that work