Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

View Poll Results: Which City would you rather live and/or invest in?
Chicago 1 33.33%
New York 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-26-2005, 12:10 PM
Trojan is offline Trojan
honest toil

Send a message via ICQ to Trojan Send a message via AIM to Trojan Send a message via Yahoo to Trojan
Top U.S. Skyscraper Proposed in Chicago:

Top U.S. Skyscraper Proposed in Chicago

CHICAGO - A proposal to build a new 115-story building by 2009 could give Chicago claim to having the first and second tallest skyscrapers in the country.
ADVERTISEMENT

The 2,000-foot tower, proposed by Chicago developer Christopher Carley and designed by noted architect Santiago Calatrava, would go up along the city's lakefront near Navy Pier, northeast of the Loop.

The 110-floor Sears Tower is currently the nation's tallest building. Carley's building, minus its spire, would be 1,458 feet high — taller than the Sears Tower by eight feet.

No financing for what would be a hotel and condo tower has yet been arranged and some rival developers say the proposal does not seem feasible.

If it is ever completed, the skyscraper would also surpass the height of New York's planned Freedom Tower, which would be 1,362 feet tall, plus a spire to stretch it to 1,776 feet. The Freedom Tower is expected to be completed in 2010.

The world's tallest building is currently the 1,670-foot Taipei 101 in Taiwan.

The proposed Chicago skyscraper, designed in a twisting shape like an enormous drill bit, is designed by the Spanish-born architect and engineer who designed the Milwaukee Art Museum addition and the Athens Olympic sports complex.

No financing for what would be a hotel and condo tower has yet been arranged, said Carley, the chairman of Fordham Co. The new building would be called the Fordham Spire.

Construction would not begin until there are sales agreements for about 40 percent of its units, Carley said. He said he'd like to break ground in March and complete the building in four years.

Some rival developers say the proposal does not seem feasible and they express skepticism that the Fordham Spire will ever be built.

Developer Donald Trump, who is constructing a 92-floor, 1,360-foot skyscraper in Chicago for luxury condominium buyers, said Carley's proposed building would not be economically viable in the post-Sept. 11 climate.

"Nobody is going to want to live in a building that's a target," he told the Chicago Sun-Times.

Carley countered that his skyscraper is in the same league as Trump's.

"I wonder where the insanity limit is. It must be just over 1,360 feet," he said, referring to Trump's building.

Carley also said his project's association with such a highly acclaimed architect as Calatrava would help, because "financiers are in awe of this man."

City officials in Chicago sounded guarded.

"We saw the plan and we'll consider it," said Connie Buscemi, a spokeswoman for the city's Department of Planning and Development.

___

On the Net:

http://www.fordhamco.com/

http://www.calatrava.com/
-------------------------------------------

I say go for it. Ofcourse Trump will be outtrumped if this proposal is approved. I hope it is built. They can put a sign on it, "if this building is destroyed and the terrorist who planned it is in your country, kiss your asses goodbye. Nukes are on the way!". -troj

••• 26th MEUSOC 940311 93-95MySpace •••
Old 07-26-2005, 06:29 PM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
new york all i am going to say, lets face it Chicago wish to build it, by god better be lookout anything big now days it blown-up days, think they be asking for trouble.

as the contactors would say you got the money honey we got a lot time to build.
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]
Old 07-27-2005, 09:57 AM
BADDOG is offline BADDOG
resigned

Cool

New Yprk as it's my favourite city in the world and it's where my father came from!!!!

I LOVE NY!!!!

Warm Regards