Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

Old 06-02-2005, 05:28 PM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
school pay 2 million for one

really can't make this out too much judge gave family 2 million for their kids death? will i don't know to cheer for them or cry for the kids in that school who will not have much money to be spent on their education for some years.

school don't make money at all and what they do get is not much at all, will i hope the state pays this one.

2 million dollars for one marshmallows death. man thats way to much. things happen
===========================================
Dated: Thursday, June 2, 2005 Posted: 1:33 PM EDT (1733 GMT)

CHICAGO, Illinois (AP) -- The parents of a sixth-grader who choked to death on marshmallows while playing a classroom game settled their lawsuit against the suburban school district Thursday for $2 million.

The settlement came in the second week of a trial over the 1999 death of 12-year-old Catherine "Casey" Fish. Her parents had been seeking unspecified damages.

"This case was never about money," said the family's attorney, Francis Patrick Murphy. "This case has been about getting the message across to America that dangerous games should not be played in school, with or without supervision."

Casey's parents had argued that Glenview School District and teacher Kevin Dorken were responsible for the girl's death because Dorken, who had been supervising the game, was out of the room while the children were stuffing marshmallows in their mouths to see who could hold the most and still say the words "chubby bunny."

School attorney Thomas DiCianni had argued that because of the way the classrooms were laid out, other teachers could still see into Dorken's room.

"There would have been no winners had this case gone to the end, regardless of how it turned out," DiCianni said.

One of Casey's schoolmates, Elissa Henricks, now 18, took the stand Wednesday and recalled how Casey struggled to breathe. "She tapped my arm and her lips were purple, and I knew she was in trouble," Henricks said.

According to testimony, the girls ran for help and Dorken tried the Heimlich maneuver on the limp girl, who died a few hours later at a hospital.

"I'd say it's a parent's worst nightmare, but nightmares end," Casey's father, John Fish, said after the settlement was announced. "Unless you've ever lost a child, please don't even try to imagine it."

After the settlement, the jurors asked to meet with Casey's parents and expressed their sympathy, Murphy said.
===========================================
Source: http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/06/02/ma....ap/index.html

i seen a lot of kids die in school grounds but this is a first?

i don't know to cry for the school or laugh my head-off.

marshmallows that is a food type right? i think in the line of Candie treat? or is some type of game now days? totally lost on this one.

mom use to tell me always chow down your food first then gulp it down.

i safely say that school; all marshmallow will be banned from the school ground lol

it is sad a child dies in this manner truly sad. but sue for 2 milliion bucks think that way off base when the school system don't much money in the first place.
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]

Last edited by Hellfighter; 06-02-2005 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:41 PM
the þrox™ is offline the þrox™

Send a message via ICQ to the þrox™ Send a message via AIM to the þrox™
I always loved those "It was never about the money" what a crock of sht

----------------------------------------
[Presents: ++]

Sigs Made: [29]
Old 06-02-2005, 05:47 PM
Dr. Bullet is offline Dr. Bullet

Send a message via ICQ to Dr. Bullet
Nary a better word said Proxy...

Pretty soon, people will be suing for their kids getting scabbed knees on the playground and getting bullied at school. If you're that freakin' worried, home school.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:50 PM
Chels is offline Chels

I HAVE DONE THAT i stuffed 13 marshmellows in my mouth adn said chubby bunny i stuffed the 14th one and liek almost choked lol its not a safe game if its to be palyed for competetition and i bet the parents jsut wanted money, because nvm itll bring up a huge thing

Somewhere between the Laughing for no reason
pointless arguments, long talks, ...<3
and always making fun of each other i fell for you

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve
i wanna spank Tril.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:07 PM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
will i like to see them to be put to the test the state don't pay a thing and see if the kid's parents don't get a dime at making that statment it not about the money thats all b/s.

they be back into the court house cry were the money we did not get paid at all.
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]
Old 06-03-2005, 03:49 AM
Lakie is offline Lakie

I agree with that, the school has to take responsibility for the child when they are in their care, legally speaking they assume "loco parentis".

For the teacher to allow the kids to play that game then leave the classroom is deploarbale IMO. SHouldn of even let them play that game due to the choking hazards anyway, i hope he never teaches again.

I see a distinct difference between a kid getting bruises on the playground and being told by the teacher to stuff as many marshmellows in your mouth as possible and then speak. The teacher has a position of authority and when they say something the kids will usually follow instructions.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:15 AM
BADDOG is offline BADDOG
resigned

eek

The world has gone litigation mad in my humble opinion but I do agree with what Mike has written.

Regards