Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Computers > Hardware and Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Hardware and Software Discuss hardware, software and security related stuff

Old 01-18-2005, 05:04 PM
Dr. Bullet is offline Dr. Bullet

Send a message via ICQ to Dr. Bullet
Mousepad

Do you use a mousepad? I'm just curious about who does and doesn't these days. Myself, I said good riddance when I got an optical mouse.

I was reading on Tom's Hardware though that some people take their pads seriously. They reviewed a couple of them, and there was one actually made by some squad of gamers (supposedly they make money off of gaming ).
Old 01-18-2005, 05:20 PM
Scattergun is offline Scattergun

I use one for gameplay but i got an optical you really dont need to use one i just like it cuz in split second times the reaction is faster

[Comp-1][Intel C2 2.6Ghz @ 2.9Ghz 10% Overclock][2 Gig DDR2 800][x1900 XTX 512mbCrossfire Edition][20 in LCD 8ms]

Old 01-18-2005, 06:19 PM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
if you take gaming seriously in anyway then definatley use one there is definatley reasons why competitive and professional gamers all use a mousemat. there are a few companies e.g. Steelpad/Icemat targeting pro gamers and they sponsor teams like '4 Kings Intel', and have mats made in conjunction with top teams like SK, and the worlds No.1 gamer Fatal1ty. its pretty big business.

just depends if you care how good your aim is. personally i think why should i settle for a setup that will cost me a kill because there was a piece of krud on the foot of my mouse. but i play competitivley and use a 1000dpi mouse with teflon feet with a double sided $40 mousemat. the fact i got them free is a bonus

fyi i reviewed some here: http://www.novahq.net/?show=reviews

in general... they stay cleaner and track a lot better (ball and optical) than a desk.

usually a desk is very smooth, and this is bad for ball and optical mice (not as bad for optical as ball).

in reality they are overpriced, but very good.

as an alternative look in the local shop for teflon baking sheet stuff, or for something that is a bit more solid a teflon baking tray. hell of a lot cheaper, and silky smooth
Old 01-18-2005, 07:17 PM
teej is offline teej

Send a message via ICQ to teej Send a message via AIM to teej Send a message via Yahoo to teej
what i would suggest in getting is a icemat or a razor exactmat. steelpad also makes a good 1.

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
ok, now that we are all a little dumber for reading that, back to how much IE is better than any other browser
Old 01-18-2005, 10:38 PM
atholon is offline atholon
"ath-hole"

Send a message via MSN to atholon
No mouse pad
Old 01-19-2005, 05:02 AM
~MOUSE~ is offline ~MOUSE~

My mouse mat is.

Ultra thin.

33*40 cm Teflon coated.

Easy wipe clean.

With a sheet of paper underneath it, to make it nice and smooth, it is the slipiest mat I've ever had.

And only 50 pence on ebay.

I'm having a strange sense of deja vu

Old 01-19-2005, 07:56 AM
Stalker61 is offline Stalker61

I use a mouse pad. I found that dirt and residue from your desk get on the little "feet" that the mouse slides on. Nothing is worse than trying to move your mouse a small fraction of an inch to make that perfect shot only to have it hang up on a piece of residue from where your soda can was sitting the night before.

Visit us at WWW.SOBSQUAD.NET
Old 01-19-2005, 11:45 AM
"ath-hole"

Quote:
Originally posted by Stalker61
I use a mouse pad. I found that dirt and residue from your desk get on the little "feet" that the mouse slides on. Nothing is worse than trying to move your mouse a small fraction of an inch to make that perfect shot only to have it hang up on a piece of residue from where your soda can was sitting the night before.
That is so true
Old 01-19-2005, 12:08 PM

I have noticed that the feet on my mouse are kinda mucky, but never really thought anything of it. But if Stevie says it'll make me do better, looks like I need to go shopping and see what's out there. I can probably make one (I have tons of every material you could ever think of...I even have a 1/2 inch think sheet of teflon ).

What's best: slick and dark?
Old 01-19-2005, 12:56 PM
"ath-hole"

Yeah if you have a mouse pad that has a dark background and bright colors or a lot of different colors it can screw the mouse up. Best thing is dark and slick
Old 01-19-2005, 12:56 PM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
yup
Old 01-20-2005, 12:38 PM

Dark and slick. I'll see what I can do. If I do anything, I'll post and show pics. Oughta be interesting to say the least
Old 01-24-2005, 04:03 PM

Well, I think I've decided on what I'm going to do. I have some scanner glass, and I'm going to lightly sandblast one side, then give it a few even coats of flat black and test it out. I talked to some optics people, and that was what we came up with. It'll have an ultra flat surface, and be smooth. If it works, I'll bond it to a sheet of aluminum and most likely make some sort of beveled edge around it (somewhat akin to a picture frame, though made out of aluminum), though I'm not quite to that part of planning yet. To keep it stuck to the ground, I have high grade rubber stoppers that will keep it from moving. At first I was going to do velcro, but then I chanced on finding those stoppers and knew that was the way to go. That way I could move it around if need be without having to worry about velcro.

In the end, it's going to be one very shiny mousepad. I even thought about etching something in the bevel, but I'm pretty crappy with stuff like that.

Who knows, if it works well enough I could sell them
Old 01-24-2005, 04:35 PM
"ath-hole"

Show a picture of what it looks like when you get it done.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:00 PM

Will do