Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Computers > Tech Support
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Tech Support Have a problem? Maybe we can help!

Old 08-07-2008, 08:46 PM
atholon is offline atholon
"ath-hole"

Send a message via MSN to atholon
Dan says:
i'm guessing with it being a new system, he's using a SATA DVD drive?
I could not get Vista to install properly using my SATA dvd drive, and I'd heard something about a patch that allowed vista to install from SATA drives, but that doesn't really help you before you've installed

My friend said he fixed it by installing from an IDE DVD.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:59 PM
atholon is offline atholon
"ath-hole"

Send a message via MSN to atholon
To work around this problem, use either of the following methods:
• Restart the computer. Then, try to install again.
• Remove 2 GB of RAM, and then restart the installation process. After Windows Vista is installed, reinstall the RAM.

Also: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777
Old 08-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Mstenger404 is offline Mstenger404

Send a message via MSN to Mstenger404
hey where do I go to check the CPU temps? is it a 3rd party software? it had better be free...

I cant try all of your suggestions until tomorow, i g2g2 bed

Intel Q9300 Quad~2.5Ghz
PALIT GTX570
ASUS GTX280 Dedicated PhysX
WD Velociraptor 300GB 10k RPM
WD Caviar Black 1TB 7,200 RPM
4GB Patriot DDR3 1333mhz
Intel BOXDX48BT2 X48
Corsair 1000Watt Modular PSU
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
ASUS VG238H 23" 120Hz 3D-Ready
Old 08-08-2008, 01:08 PM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
in the BIOS
Old 08-08-2008, 03:39 PM

I tried a program called coretemps and while playing crysis, the average temperature was only 60C for the CPU. So is 60 degrees bad for the CPU, but just fine for a GPU? :O

I took a stick of ram out and then tried playing crysis, and it only went for an extra 30 seconds before freezing then i just decided to shut down and put it back in.

now specifically for my chipset, the north and south bridges have have a particular cooling line running over them, in the instruction manual the fan that goes on there is called the "optional fan" "used with liquid cooling" I assume If i had liquid cooling I would send it through there and let the fan keep it a little more cooler.

Is there a way I could watch the bridge temperatures without using BIOS so I can play a game and watch it?

Intel Q9300 Quad~2.5Ghz
PALIT GTX570
4GB Patriot DDR3 1333mhz
Intel BOXDX48BT2 X48

Last edited by Mstenger404; 08-08-2008 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:11 PM
Chrispy is offline Chrispy

Send a message via MSN to Chrispy Send a message via Yahoo to Chrispy
Is this any good? I haven't tried it but my mates reckon it's great:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...-Edition.shtml

Quote:
EVEREST Home Edition is a free system diagnostics, system information and benchmarking solution for home PC users, based on the award-winning EVEREST Technology.

It offers the world's most accurate system information and diagnostics capabilities, including online features, memory benchmarks, hardware monitoring, and low-level hardware information.

Motherboard & CPU - Accurate low-level information about motherboard, CPU and BIOS, including chipset details, DMI enumeration, AGP configuration information, SPD memory modules list, DRAM timing information and CPU instruction set support.

Video adapter & monitor - Detailed information about the video adapter, video drivers and monitor, including DDC information, monitor serial number and supported video modes detection, low-level GPU details, OpenGL and Direct3D features list.

Storage devices - Information about all hard disk and optical disk drives, including IDE autodetection, S.M.A.R.T. disk health monitoring, ASPI SCSI devices list and partitions information.

Network adapters, multimedia, input devices - Exhaustive information about network adapters, sound cards, keyboard, mouse and game controllers, including NIC MAC address detection, IP and DNS list, network traffic monitoring, DirectSound, DirectMusic and DirectInput information.

Misc hardware - Information about PCI, PnP, PCMCIA and USB devices, communication ports, power management information, device resources list, printers information.

Operating system - Detailed Windows information, including operating system installation date and product key, system services and system drivers list, process information, installed patches list, environment variables list, system folders list and system files content.

Server and display - Information about network shares, users and groups list, logged on users list, fonts list and Windows desktop configuration details.

Networking - Large amount of information about networking status, remote access and mailing accounts, network resources and Internet settings.

Installed software - Detailed information about installed programs, scheduled tasks, startup programs and anti-virus solutions.

Hardware monitoring - Sensor information including system and CPU temperature, fan status, CPU, AGP and DRAM voltage monitoring, S.M.A.R.T. disk health status.

Benchmarking - Memory read and write speed measurement to stress the memory and cache subsystem, including references list to compare actual performance with other systems.

Tips & suggestions - Detection of possible hardware and software misconfiguration and compatibility issues.

Report Wizard - Easy-to-use method to produce report files of the system, by either using pre-configured report profiles or custom selection of information.

Report formats - Three different report file formats: plain text, customizable HTML and the unique MHTML format. MHTML reports including icons are ideal for printing purposes.

Report e-mailing and printing - Built-in e-mail transfer client using SMTP, also support for MAPI and Outlook protocols. Instant report display and one-click printing capabilities using IE4+ technology.

Here are some key features of "Everest Home Edition":

· Full hardware information
· DirectX information
· Overclock information
· UPS, tape drive support
· Diagnostics module
· Benchmarks
· Tweaking features
· Web links
· Favorite pages
· Built-in hardware database
· Full Windows XP compatibility
· Full Windows Server 2003 compatibility
· Fully localized user interface (27 languages).
Intel Core Duo E7300 2.66GHz // SuperTalent DDR2 800 2GB // ASUS nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB // Western Digital 7200RPM 320GB SATA // LG GH-20LS 20X SATA DVD-RAM // Windows XP Pro 32-bit // Thermaltake XP550 NP 430W // Thermaltake SOPRANO SECC Black
Old 08-08-2008, 05:49 PM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

everest is brilliant if u have never seen it, check it out.
in the main window there is a icon called sensors (i think...), just click that and it will show all the temps. (including cpu gpu northbridge hard drives and more)

probably the best tool just for testing cpu temps is TAT: http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads...ysis_Tool.html

sometimes the BIOS temps can be misleading, often it shows the cpu temp but not the actual core/die temps.

however 60 is pretty hot for a core2, they are very cool running chips. i know they are different chips but my mate's 6300 runs about 30 degrees at stock, and my x6800 runs about 50 degrees with extra voltage going to it. they should not freeze though at 60 degrees :/ had mine lock up when i put 1.6 volts through it and did a stress test, it went to 85 degrees in about 2 seconds and froze
Old 08-08-2008, 07:06 PM

that makes sense, when I was installing my CPU, the instructions made no mention about applying thermal paste, so I looked at the bottom of the fan and saw a grey looking thinkness to it, I couldn't tell if it was all apart of the cooler block or if it was a factory applied thermal paste of some sort. I thought it was pre-applied stuff so I didn't worry about it and just put the fan on as it was. Besides, I know for sure I placed 2 lock pins to secure the fan in place, I wasn't too sure about the other 2 pins.

Ill re-install the fan and this time im gonna make sure I did it right.

Intel Q9300 Quad~2.5Ghz
PALIT GTX570
4GB Patriot DDR3 1333mhz
Intel BOXDX48BT2 X48
Old 08-08-2008, 09:51 PM

I'm sure I did it right this time, I applied new thermal paste and installed the fan as according to the instructions, but while re-installing crysis, the temperatures of the CPU cores got up to 70C, a bunch of crap fans Intel sells with their processors, I might as well just bought the OEM and a 3rd party fan, save me some money and keep it cooler.

Intel Q9300 Quad~2.5Ghz
PALIT GTX570
4GB Patriot DDR3 1333mhz
Intel BOXDX48BT2 X48
Old 08-09-2008, 08:37 PM

As it turns out it WAS THE CPU FAN!!!

wow am I stupid, I first put it in half-assed where you should put the most attention into installing it. I don't know whats more fragile, the CPU, or the CPU's warranty. but now its don't freezing so its smooth sailing from here on!

Crysis, UT3, Gears, Arma!! HERE I COME!!

oh and lets not forget Far Cry 2, whenever it comes out...

Intel Q9300 Quad~2.5Ghz
PALIT GTX570
4GB Patriot DDR3 1333mhz
Intel BOXDX48BT2 X48
Old 08-10-2008, 04:26 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

so it's all ok??

Old 08-10-2008, 08:11 AM

90% yea its A-okay. 10% of me sais I should get a new cpu fan to make sure it never happens again, hell the one that came with the processor has a circular copper base and it Doesn't even cover the entire processer!

Intel Q9300 Quad~2.5Ghz
PALIT GTX570
4GB Patriot DDR3 1333mhz
Intel BOXDX48BT2 X48
Old 08-10-2008, 08:27 AM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
will if you know the type of fan you need to match with your CPU it be a great item buy up. atless you know how to mount it good and tight

i been really thinking of getting a water cool system for my CPU, house get like 85F-90F the CPU fan going like crazy

only thing is i am scare if it leaks will it do more damage lol
but you can control tempiture you like it tobe on the outside of the tower case.
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]
Old 08-10-2008, 08:41 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Mstenger404
90% yea its A-okay. 10% of me sais I should get a new cpu fan to make sure it never happens again, hell the one that came with the processor has a circular copper base and it Doesn't even cover the entire processer!

that's because the cores/die are in the middle of the chip:

freezer pro is pretty popular: http://www.arctic-cooling.com/cpu2.php?idx=79&disc= is pretty good, very cheap, very easy to fit and very quiet, and supports PWM which i'm pretty sure your motherboard will provide for the cpu fan at least.

i use a Tuniq tower: http://www.tuniq.com.tw/Cooler%20Info/Tower-120.htm never have to put the fan on any other setting than lowest, so pure silence , bit of a bugger to fit though as it needs a backplate on the back of the mobo to stop it ripping the socket off the motherboard when you stand your case up hehe