Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Computers > Tech Support
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Tech Support Have a problem? Maybe we can help!

Old 07-22-2008, 04:10 AM
Chrispy is offline Chrispy

Send a message via MSN to Chrispy Send a message via Yahoo to Chrispy
Installing new drivers

This is probably the most noobest question around, but oh well.

Anyways, I don't really mind if I can find what's wrong or not, as I'm fine with the old drivers, and everything works in order.

Anyways, like two weeks ago or so I had downloaded the latest nVidia drivers for the GeForce 5500 I have (I know it's the correct ones since I had it scan the computer to find the recommended driver).

The installation went fine, and for some odd reason nVidia Desktop Manager didn't show up, and the brightness setting I put in on the desktop manager (I used it to lessen the brightness or the monitor) didn't seem to work.

I looked in Control Panel and saw nVidia Desktop Manager. I can't remember what exactly happened but I don't think I could launch it.

I went to Properties and then Settings and then Advanced, and saw the generic settings (you know, the ones you have when you don't have any 3D graphics drivers installed).

I then did a test and launched DFX, which did a video card test and then noted that no 3D hardware was present.

I went to Device Manager, and this just happened to be the case.

I rolled back and everything was fine...

Now like said, I don't mind whether I fix this or not, as I'm fine at the moment with old drivers, but I'm just curious as to what it is.

I didn't uninstall the old drivers and installed the new ones - I installed the new ones over the top. I honestly can't be bothered to uninstall then install the new drivers, but I'm just thinking this may be the prob.

Any ideas?

I dunno if motherboard drivers have anything to do with this (mobo has stock drivers that came with the disc).

Again, I know it sounds like a dumb question. I could probably find out myself if I took the time, but I'm just wondering what you guys think.

It was the first time I attempted to install "up-to-date drivers", too.
Intel Core Duo E7300 2.66GHz // SuperTalent DDR2 800 2GB // ASUS nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB // Western Digital 7200RPM 320GB SATA // LG GH-20LS 20X SATA DVD-RAM // Windows XP Pro 32-bit // Thermaltake XP550 NP 430W // Thermaltake SOPRANO SECC Black
Old 07-22-2008, 09:57 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
Re: Installing new drivers

Quote:
Originally posted by Chrispy
I didn't uninstall the old drivers and installed the new ones

download the newest nvid drivers: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

download driver cleaner and install: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745

if there is any nvidia running in your systray, right click on it and close/quit.

go to add/remove and uninstall the nvidia stuff

it's gonna want you to reboot so do that.

you wanna boot into SAFE MODE (keep hitting F8 just before windows starts loading).

when in safe mode, run Driver cleaner, select the nvidia options and let it run it's magic.

reboot

when windows loads it's gonna try to be smart and install your gfx card. don't let it, just click cancel.

run the nvidia installer and just do what it asks

reboot

win
Old 07-22-2008, 12:37 PM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
anti-adware and anti-virus software should be disable before you install the new video card updates in they may block items from being change or updated item being install.

all so unstall the video card driver and go to "C:....video card folder" and deleted it totally after you unstall the video card. some times when new drivers & software get into they leave the old folders there with all the goodies in it still, this can be a bad thing reason system may go to them older folder for the video card and things can go wrong.

check Updates:
*Chipset for CPU
*BOIS (look for MOB Model its should be on the MFG site for download)
*GPU (Video card update)
doulble check see if it was the right one, auto-scan is not 100% fool proof it can pick the wrong updates files as will. wrong file to get. has happen.

bois if your too scare its ok, not really needed!! but the maker of the MOB may have adapted the Bois to run better, patch the bois setting, handle other item that maybe use or to work with windows Vista settings if the bois was never was made to run under Windows Vista
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]
Old 07-22-2008, 11:09 PM
Chrispy is offline Chrispy

Send a message via MSN to Chrispy Send a message via Yahoo to Chrispy
Thanks Chief and Steve.

I heard that with nVidia cards you could install right over the old drivers so I thought it wouldn't be an issue.

Yeah I'm think that it's because they haven't been uninstalled.

Anyways cheers.
Intel Core Duo E7300 2.66GHz // SuperTalent DDR2 800 2GB // ASUS nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB // Western Digital 7200RPM 320GB SATA // LG GH-20LS 20X SATA DVD-RAM // Windows XP Pro 32-bit // Thermaltake XP550 NP 430W // Thermaltake SOPRANO SECC Black