Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Computers > Hardware and Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Hardware and Software Discuss hardware, software and security related stuff

Old 12-31-2008, 09:24 AM
.Simon. is offline .Simon.

Your views on Windows Vista

After reading another thread on the forum, and looking at a few different sites, im curious as to what people think of Vista.

So if you don't mind, spend a few minutes writing a small paragraph or so about why you like/dislike Vista, and your reasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
next person to post half naked gets banned
Old 12-31-2008, 11:44 AM
atholon is offline atholon
"ath-hole"

Send a message via MSN to atholon
It isn't that bad if you have a nice computer. Just a pain on having to learn how to do stuff. I hear windows 7 should be out soon so it may be wise to wait for it They say it loads in the time it takes to boot XP. I should get to beta test it
Old 12-31-2008, 12:41 PM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
i heard the same thing about windows 7

my taste on windows vista i don't really like the feel of it! were windows xp feel better.

its like green bell pepper (vista) and red bell pepper (XP), i like red bell pepper, but i can't stand green bell pepper.

its a guy thing
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]
Old 12-31-2008, 12:44 PM
skinny killer is offline skinny killer
HappyGoLucky

Send a message via Yahoo to skinny killer
they should have never released it!

XP was the best...

on VISTA I had problems with a few of my games that would not play because of VISTA. a friend of mine has the same probs. also the games do not run as well on vista as they would XP.

VISTA is always slow and it is always locking up. I never had that problem with XP...

VISTA also seams to have put too much effort into graphical affects.

A laptop pf mine (operating with VSTA) has even crashed and lost ALL info shortly after windows explorer locked up (couldn't do anything and all programs were not responding). it could not have been a virus or a bug picked up off the Internet simply because the laptop has never been on the Internet except for updates.

I'm not sure what all there is to VISTA that makes it a bad operating system.... put simply: Problems + Problems + Problems = VISTA

I'm glad to have XP on my computer...

nuff said
Old 12-31-2008, 12:46 PM
"ath-hole"

You can disable the effects to improve performance in vista. My computer still runs faster than my XP machine

IE does seem to crash a lot in Vista
Old 12-31-2008, 01:37 PM
Mstenger404 is offline Mstenger404

Send a message via MSN to Mstenger404
I dont know about you guys, but my vista desktop (custom built myself ^_^) runs 99.99% a-okay.

that 0.01% was a bluescreen that randomly happened while playing crysis, and the error report it told me after i restarted said it was a problem with the RAM.

I spent about 150 game playing hours, and about 200 web browsing hours on this and everything is seamless, I'm already too used to this and I almost forget how to find my way around XP when i get on an older machine. The Windows Update program keeps my system up to date pretty much whenever something new arises.

My only gripe is that it can't play battlefield 2142, no matter what I tried.

Later down the road I might dual-boot with XP just for kicks and giggles.

Bottom line, I love Vista but don't go whole heartedly because of bf2142, everything else, I think is better.

Intel Q9300 Quad~2.5Ghz
PALIT GTX570
ASUS GTX280 Dedicated PhysX
WD Velociraptor 300GB 10k RPM
WD Caviar Black 1TB 7,200 RPM
4GB Patriot DDR3 1333mhz
Intel BOXDX48BT2 X48
Corsair 1000Watt Modular PSU
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
ASUS VG238H 23" 120Hz 3D-Ready
Old 12-31-2008, 02:53 PM
"ath-hole"

Yeah I think the only issue is with games. Most software runs fine on Vista...
Old 12-31-2008, 03:49 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

I like it. I didn't like it my first time trying it so I put xp back on. About a year ago I decided to try it without bias and after getting used to a few changes from xp I decided I really liked it, alot. It's very stable and runs awesome on my pc and laptop, each has 4gb of ram. My desktop is a AMD 6000+ and Laptop is a core2duo 2.4Ghz. I've come across a few games that did not want to play without downloading one dx9 dll and putting it in the game folder but that was pretty easy to fix.

I hated the start menu and explorer search bars but now it's hard to live without them. After I finally configured search I can find anything in my computer very easily. In the start menu I can type the first few letters of a program or folder, hit enter and it loads or opens what I want. The only thing on my desktop is the recycle bin, that's how functional the start menu is if you learn to use it fully. Areo is ok but I don't really care for eye candy. It also boots faster for me then xp did and I love the included two way firewall that actually works. There really aren't many huge changes from XP but there are tons of small ones that you learn to love (or hate) as time goes on and you learn about them and how to use them.

But, the thing I like most about vista is it's stability. It never locks up on me, ever. And if a program locks up I can kill the process where it actually dies unlike in xp where it hangs forever. Standby works great for my laptop and desktop so I no longer have to shut down all the time. It never worked good for me in xp.

Since Windows 7 is just around the corner I would probably save your money and wait to switch. If you don't like Vista now your probably better off learning linux or osx because Windows 7 will probably be like Vista.

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 12-31-2008, 09:45 PM
-Tigger- is offline -Tigger-
BB

i like it and couldnt go back to XP, if ur PC is decent it'll run ok.. i have had about 3 blue screens the whole time i have had vista but ive lost count of how many blue screens i had while using XP. Vista is much more stable any time i have used it..

also i cant used XP now as i get lost
Old 01-01-2009, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
But, the thing I like most about vista is it's stability. It never locks up on me, ever. And if a program locks up I can kill the process where it actually dies unlike in xp where it hangs forever.

Yeah i really like that aswell. When you 'end task' in xp, its like it takes a while for it to understand what you want it to do, and a few times, ive had to restart my computer because its just frozen.

I wasn't a fan of Vista when it first came out. Me and my mate actually used to make fun of it becuase of its reported flaws. But we had never tried it. But when i bought my new pc, it came with Home Premium, and im sad ive had to change back to XP now because of wireless issues. Like Scott said, the kind of become dependant on the search bar, its really good.

So yeah, i like Vista ;P

Quote:
Old 01-01-2009, 05:30 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
i'm not too fussed about vista, i'm happy with my xp setup, everything is how i like it, all my stuff is installed and the only problems i have is down to overclocking i reckon

i have vista installed on another drive but constantly had to switch back to xp for gaming and never actually felt the need to use vista.

tbh i didn't give vista long enough but i installed the 64bit version and all the drivers etc worked fine despite a dozen ppl telling me not to test vista and not to even consider the 64bit version because no drivers work (they hadnt actually tried it themselves).

if microsoft didn't have to concentrate so much on backwards compatability then i think things would be a whole lot different, good and bad i guesss but better in the long term. ditch the 32bit stuff, implement the new filesystem, make the world take a step forward.

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
If you don't like Vista now your probably better off learning linux or osx because Windows 7 will probably be like Vista.
BIG statement

do you mean a long term vista user who cant get to grips with it or someone who doesn't want to use it?
Old 01-01-2009, 12:23 PM
"ath-hole"

I have only had compatibility issues with two games on vista: BF 2142 and MotoCross Madness 2. I hated the Wireless utility on Vita when I first started to use it but I like it now.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:08 PM

Yeah im not a fan of the wireless. Im thinking of just running an ethernet cable to my router.

Quote: