Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

Old 08-09-2005, 02:44 PM
Lucky is offline Lucky

eek aol IS taking over the world!!!

America Online Inc. on Monday said it has acquired wireless software maker Wildseed Ltd, a deal that could help AOL embed its services in cellular phones sold by wireless carriers.

AOL bought the Kirkland, Wash.-based, Wildseed for its technology and engineers, a company spokeswoman said. AOL, a division of Time Warner Inc., is not committing to any of the company's products. Financial terms of the acquisition were not disclosed.

"What we're excited about, and why we bought the company, is for the technology and the talent," the spokeswoman said. "We're not saying anything firm about what we're going to do (with the company)."

Wildseed sells the SmartSkin cellular-phone accessory that provides a variety of services, including ringtones, message alerts, animations, video clips and games. The accessory, which is available in different themes, ran on Wildseed's Curitel Identity handset. Curitel was the company's debut product.

Wildseed also has a mobile Linux-based operating system that includes support for Game Boy Advanced games, MP3 music files, video and remote device management. The OS also includes customizable user interfaces for cellular phone manufacturers or wireless carriers.

Wildseed is not AOL's first acquisition of a mobile software maker. The Dulles, Va., company in 1999, bought Tegic Communications, which made a text-entry application for wireless devices. The software made it easier for cellular-phone users to enter text by reducing the number of buttons that had to be pushed on the keypad.

Analysts have said that data services remain too difficult to use on cellular phones because the keypad is cumbersome for inputting data. Nevertheless, rivals AOL, Yahoo Inc., Google Inc. and Microsoft Corp.'s MSN have all targeted the small devices for delivering their own brand of services, including email, local search, traffic information, instant messaging and shopping.

Worldwide shipments of cellular phones are expected to reach 760 million units this year, increasing at a compound annual growth rate of about 5 percent through 2009, according to International Data Corp. With that many devices, the potential advertising revenue is significant for AOL and the other portals.

To maximize use, however, cellular phones as computing devices have to get easier to use. As a result, portals are looking for ways to embed their services within the devices for instant access. Yahoo, for example, announced in July a partnership with handset maker Motorola Inc., which agreed to optimize its Linux-based phones for direct access to Yahoo web mail, entertainment, shopping and other online services. The devices are scheduled to ship next year.

With the purchase of Wildseed, AOL has the potential of building partnerships with handset makers and carriers interested in selling phones that can easily access the portal's services, using Wildseed's OS and other technologies, the spokeswoman said.

"(Wildseed) has proven that it can reach the entire value chain from the operating system on up," the spokeswoman said.

Wildseed is the second major corporate acquisition for AOL this year. The company last week announced the purchase of Xdrive Inc., an online storage and backup service. Last year, AOL bought email service provider Mailblocks Inc. and online marketing firm Advertising.com.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
sorce-http://informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=167600721
Old 08-09-2005, 03:36 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

AOL dosne't rule the world.. There is a bill going around now that might make it so Telephone lines that carry internet access do not have to share there network with a 3rd party (like AOL or Earthlink)..

That would hurt them both pretty bad if the bill gets passed since that's how thoes companies work. The companines also have to tell them to F*** off but it's possible now with all this competition..

Google rules the world..

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 08-09-2005, 05:18 PM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
man i see a cell phone and it has AOL in it not buying the crap i can see it having adware in it to the max lies b/s AOL is crap and always will be.

i don't like AOL at all, they are two face say one thing and do another, sample AOL says the AOL is the best we fight Adware and Spyware all the time then turn around put it into AIM and other things. never trust AOL for their words.
===========================================
there are so many other INTERNET services that SO much better then AOL by 10.000miles. at lease MSN INTERNET service knows for a fact what is Spyware and ad-wares are and will not listing to lies that it not.
AOL really don't care if people get ad-wares in their system as long as they get paid for running them and get money both side of the street. adware company's and AOL-customers
I had AOL long time all go they edited my system setting, talk about it crashing. i left them unstill their AOL software System crashes all stop funny been 3-4yrs now.

i get some errors now days, but the system has not crash at all. i don't trust AOL at all even if they was a free service for ADSL i say no ways i really don't trust them with my system at all.
Googlies, ICQ, MSN, firefox, Xfire. rule

AOL and Yahoo are stinkers for adware they love them a lot. they may say they hate adware but bottom line they love to make money too.
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]

Last edited by Hellfighter; 08-09-2005 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:56 AM
BADDOG is offline BADDOG
resigned

Quote:
Originally posted by Panther
AOL dosne't rule the world.. There is a bill going around now that might make it so Telephone lines that carry internet access do not have to share there network with a 3rd party (like AOL or Earthlink)..

That would hurt them both pretty bad if the bill gets passed since that's how thoes companies work. The companines also have to tell them to F*** off but it's possible now with all this competition..

Google rules the world..
Love the advice telling them to F*** off brother Panther lol!!!!

Warmest Regards
Old 08-10-2005, 07:57 AM
NaughtyPerry is offline NaughtyPerry
Banned

google love it
Old 08-10-2005, 11:10 AM
Stu is offline Stu
Resident Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Panther

Google rules the world..
lmao
Old 08-10-2005, 02:09 PM
Trojan is offline Trojan
honest toil

Send a message via ICQ to Trojan Send a message via AIM to Trojan Send a message via Yahoo to Trojan
Yahoo Inc. (Nasdaq:YHOO - news) says its search engine indexes more than 20.8 billion items, which is nearly twice as much as online search leader Google Inc.

In its company blog, Yahoo, based in Sunnyvale, Calif., says its index includes 19.2 billion web documents, 1.6 billion images and more than 50 million audio and video files. The company typically does not disclose the size of its index.

Mountain View, Calif.-based, Google, on the other hand, indexes about 11.2 billion items, including 8.2 billion web pages and more than 2 billion images and 1 billion items from its discussion groups, according to the company's web site.

Nevertheless, despite its bragging, Yahoo acknowledges that the size of the index "is only one dimension of the quality of a search engine."

The company said it measures quality of search results based on relevance, comprehensiveness, freshness and presentation.

hehehe -troj

••• 26th MEUSOC 940311 93-95MySpace •••
Old 08-10-2005, 02:13 PM
Dr. Bullet is offline Dr. Bullet

Send a message via ICQ to Dr. Bullet
That's funny. Even with that huge index, I can't find what I want with Yahoo, but with Google it's almost always exactly what I want.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:54 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Bullet
That's funny. Even with that huge index, I can't find what I want with Yahoo, but with Google it's almost always exactly what I want.

Old 08-10-2005, 02:55 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

keep an eye on MSN search, it found a few things google couldn't find..

Old 08-10-2005, 03:41 PM
Dr. Bullet is offline Dr. Bullet

Send a message via ICQ to Dr. Bullet
I'm not much on MSN either. I've done comparison checks on MSN and Google, and I always found the relevant websites to be on the first page of Google, but always after the 2nd page on MSN. Even Google ads from searches are helpful.