Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Delta Force
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Delta Force Anything to do with the Delta Force series of games, DF1, DF2, LW, TFD, BHD, DFX, AF etc.

Old 03-22-2005, 10:10 AM
cgarcia275 is offline cgarcia275

Angry Booting up in WindowsXP takes forever now!

After installing BHD Delta Force and rebooting the system, WindowsXP hangs up for like 10 minutes as if it's looking for something. I can see that my hard drive is working in small spurts. I never get an error message though. After 10 minutes XP finally gets loaded up and I can continue. Anyone experience the same thing?
Old 03-22-2005, 10:19 AM
Trojan is offline Trojan
honest toil

Send a message via ICQ to Trojan Send a message via AIM to Trojan Send a message via Yahoo to Trojan
After all my windows updates and service pack, mine is slow to load to. I'm not thrilled Bill. But atleast it's working. -troj

••• 26th MEUSOC 940311 93-95MySpace •••
Old 03-22-2005, 10:29 AM

I looked at the event log and there were 3 errors posted. Those 3 never popped up onto the screen though. Can't tell if they've always been there or not. I do have Norton in my startup and I know that BHD doesn't like to run along with it. You think there is a link between the 2? I may try to have Norton NOT load next go round and see what happens.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:57 AM
Trojan is offline Trojan
honest toil

Send a message via ICQ to Trojan Send a message via AIM to Trojan Send a message via Yahoo to Trojan
Yes, as a matter of fact I have heard that Nortons and BHD do conflict and I'm sorry but I do not have any resolution other than to get a new anti-virus prog.

Can anybody help? thx - troj

Old 03-22-2005, 11:22 AM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
see if it needs to be defrag any some time instill a large software or un-instill the HHD becomes defragmented and files are sprade all over the disk.

Windows Xp Disk "Defragmenter" come with a "Analyze" button it will tell if it need to be defrag or not. i do it if its over 10% fragmented system let it stand for 20% but most tech's i talk to say do it when it near 10%.

you can check for errors in the system if you like may help it bootup better if there any errors in the filing system.
Start>run> chkdsk /F ........a window pop-up press Y-key hit enter now restart you system may take 20min to 45min to finish scanning for errors

and maybe a deepscan for viruse you can get them even going to site's, e-mail, Internet messagers, attachments, download files even. do a bootupscan or in safemod were they will not be running (virus) a virus can make the system lag on startup too.

Start>run> type in: msconfig hit enter

last tap to the right "startup" on this page look over item to see is starting up with the system startup/bootup turn items off by unchecking them (only items you know of or about) this is really must know you turn a item you may get more headacke then you asking for. If you know a tech support to call for your Pc is better to do to disable item in here.

before you do anything at all try turn it off for 5min then start it up.
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]
Old 03-22-2005, 11:25 AM
Trojan is offline Trojan
honest toil

Thanks Chief. -troj

Old 03-22-2005, 11:32 AM

Thanks for the input. I ran a defrag about a week ago and XP seems to keep things in check for the most part. I installed BHD after running a defrag. Does BHD run upon startup though? If it does I can see where something might get hung up. If not, then I'm not sure what's causing XP to load up so slowly other than a virus. I did go to NOVALOGIC's website to get the upgrade so I'm assuming that it didn't come with a virus. I had thought about running in safemode. Once I'm in safemode what can be done at that point to figure out the problem? Virus scan?? About the only thing I haven't tried that was suggested was a chkdsk. I'll try that as well. I'm convinced it has something to do with the bootup.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:34 AM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
Norton has scrip blocker (don't remember real name) this maybe doing it, sorry i don't remember the right name it has to do with the scrip it block virus, but it some time it do to much, i had norton 2003 anti-virus when i use a program it would make it have a error i disable the scrip block item the error was gone.

the program it made have error was Microsoft Picture It! Publishing Platinum 2001 the error happen as i exit out of it. and it booted up really slow too.
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]
Old 03-22-2005, 11:42 AM

That could be it too. I would think that Norton would just block the script from running and then let me know that it did. I guess the best way to figure that out is to stop running Norton at the startup and see if that works. By the way I'm using Norton 2005. Does BHD install a script file that runs on startup?
Old 03-22-2005, 12:04 PM
DevilDog#1 is offline DevilDog#1

Quote:
Originally posted by cgarcia275
That could be it too. I would think that Norton would just block the script from running and then let me know that it did. I guess the best way to figure that out is to stop running Norton at the startup and see if that works. By the way I'm using Norton 2005. Does BHD install a script file that runs on startup?
Maybe you accidently blocked BHD communication with NW Servers? When you install BHD on an XP it pops a message. Check for that too!

Quote:
If I don't do that doesn't mean I can't - DD#1
Old 03-22-2005, 12:11 PM

Does the communication get started upon bootup? If it does then I can see where a hangup can occur. Maybe there is a script file that links to the NW Server at startup?
Old 03-22-2005, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Does the communication get started upon bootup? If it does then I can see where a hangup can occur. Maybe there is a script file that links to the NW Server at startup?
I highly doubt that anything related to BHD happens at boot time.

When you actually click on the game icon that's when the mechanics of the game kick in.

What does the prompt you mentioned earlier say? A SS would be nice ...

Quote:
Old 03-22-2005, 12:36 PM

That's my thinking too, nothing should link or start up during a hard boot that has to do with BHD. I never get a prompt during the startup or when I load BHD. No error messages at all. But, if I go into the Event Log there are 3 different logging errors that are present. Wish I could give you those right now but I'm not on the PC where the game is loaded. I'll post it within the next couple hours though once I get onto it. That's the only thing that I can see where a problem might be. But again, XP loads fine and BHD loads fine when I play it. It's when I boot up that my PC hangs up for a good 10 minutes because it's looking for something or trying to run something. It doesn't lock up completely, it just takes a long time to load up. I can see that it's working because of the HDD LED light flickering on the front panel of my case.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:41 PM

Quote:
That's my thinking too, nothing should link or start up during a hard boot that has to do with BHD. I never get a prompt during the startup or when I load BHD. No error messages at all. But, if I go into the Event Log there are 3 different logging errors that are present. Wish I could give you those right now but I'm not on the PC where the game is loaded. I'll post it within the next couple hours though once I get onto it. That's the only thing that I can see where a problem might be. But again, XP loads fine and BHD loads fine when I play it. It's when I boot up that my PC hangs up for a good 10 minutes because it's looking for something or trying to run something. It doesn't lock up completely, it just takes a long time to load up. I can see that it's working because of the HDD LED light flickering on the front panel of my case.
Might sound kinda weird, but try running Restore for the day Before you installed BHD. Maybe some good will come out of it. Do back up your stuff.

Quote:
Old 03-22-2005, 12:43 PM
Trojan is offline Trojan
honest toil

Thanks DD. -troj

Old 03-22-2005, 01:06 PM

XP was loading fine until I installed BHD. I'm just curious as to why software developers can't get it right. My PC is a standard setup and you'd think they'd have it all figured out by now. I wish there was a computer game that would just work...period. Noone should have to contend with issues like this is my thinking. I just built my own PC and it screams. If I can't figure out the problem there's no sense in keeping it installed. I didn't pay good money to see my PC go back to the old days where it took half a day to boot up. I'll keep you posted on how everything worked out. Thanks for all the help!
Old 03-22-2005, 01:09 PM

Quote:
XP was loading fine until I installed BHD. I'm just curious as to why software developers can't get it right. My PC is a standard setup and you'd think they'd have it all figured out by now. I wish there was a computer game that would just work...period. Noone should have to contend with issues like this is my thinking. I just built my own PC and it screams. If I can't figure out the problem there's no sense in keeping it installed. I didn't pay good money to see my PC go back to the old days where it took half a day to boot up. I'll keep you posted on how everything worked out. Thanks for all the help!
Which XP Edition do you have?? Does it have SP2 installed on it??

Quote:
Old 03-22-2005, 01:13 PM

Yes. XP SP2 is the current OS that's installed. That's the latest and greatest right?
Old 03-22-2005, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Yes. XP SP2 is the current OS that's installed. That's the latest and greatest right?
Yeah. You have simple BHD or BHDTS?

Quote:
Old 03-22-2005, 01:21 PM

Just have BHD. I was getting ready to install BHDTS as well but after going through this I figured I'd hold off until the problem is solved.