Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Delta Force
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Delta Force Anything to do with the Delta Force series of games, DF1, DF2, LW, TFD, BHD, DFX, AF etc.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:53 PM
johnno56 is offline johnno56

Area Triggers

Basic Area Trigger question.

Am I correct in assuming that when an area trigger is placed on a map (irrespective of which game), that the area trigger does not differentiate in regards to the "Z" factor.

ie: If I place an area trigger at ground level, then based on the fact one would need to enter such area to set off an event, I could either enter the same area at any height above or below ground?

I am assuming that triggers can ONLY be placed at ground level.

I want to create a tunnel mission with the usual events (ie booby traps and sounds and messages etc) without having to include weather or environment factors.

Your thoughts please?

Regards

J

May your journey be free of incident.

Live long and prosper.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:07 PM

Please disregard my last post. Assistance in this regard is no longer required.

Regards

J

Live long and prosper.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:00 AM
MERMITE is offline MERMITE

It's these elementry 'tools' that Nova gave us to make stuff happen in our maps, that are the most abused and yet the most essential to us, mappers are in such a hurry to complete their artwork they pay little detail as to how these triggers function correctly
or even if they function at all
In DFX1 dave from Hu uses an area trigger 50m hi and 50m low, below ground level, as an example, and still it works, other mappers use them with great ease to about 250m wide, after that they become less effective, but there is one "GOLDEN" rule, and it's mentioned in the mappers manual.
Johnno might I suggest that you consider updating to at least DFX1, many items have been updated that will work for you.
I do find area triggers a very crude and in-effective trigger, there are far more interesting ways of triggering your next game sequence than having something 'happen' with out rational reason

"M"
Old 12-21-2009, 01:18 AM

Mermite,

Anticipated an "upgrade" suggestion from one of you guys, and have already installed and am trying to recreate my tunnel map, using DFX1.

I like the tunnels in LW. Although DFX1 has a nice "underground" feel to it, I just like the "cleaner" look of LW.

Still, I will continue to complete my conversion, and let you all know when I am done.

Am I correct in assuming that I can use .WAC files with DFX1? If so, is there a tutorial, or can I use the BHD WAC tutorial as a guideline?

Regards

J

Live long and prosper.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:59 AM

Mermite,

I have recreated my map using DFX1, kind of.

The LW map has bogus biocases scattered the tunnel. As I approach each bogus case, it vaporizes. When certain conditions are met, two walls are vaporized, revealing the hidden exit point.

LW has one-way walls (visible and impassable from one side, invisible and passable from the other) that are placed a snapped into position. DFX1 does not have these walls. So I improvised and overlaid the 2 tunnel sections with "tunnel ends". Then vaporize the "ends" to reveal the hidden tunnel section. Unfortunately this did not work. Crash. "sysdump.txt" message.

I am of the opinion that if I cannot create a basic tunnel with the "newer" games, then it would be logical to conclude to either, continue using the "older" games or create "above ground" maps. My "skills" with the latter is more than some-what lacking.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards

J

Live long and prosper.