Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Computers > Hardware and Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Hardware and Software Discuss hardware, software and security related stuff

Old 01-12-2006, 12:48 PM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
Post Symantec confesses to using rootkit technology

see, one day you will start believing me that symantec / nortons is not a good thing to have on your computer!!!

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Spyware/index.php?p=747

Oh, dear. We're just getting over the Sony DRM rootkit ruckus and now we have a security company hiding software components from Windows APIs with rootkit technology. News.com reports that Symantec Corp.'s spokesperson admitted to using this rootkit type feature in Norton SystemWorks to hide a directory so customers wouldn't accidentally delete files. The problem was it could also provide a convenient hiding place for attackers to place malicious files. Due to the vulnerability, Symantec has issued an update for SystemWorks and is "strongly recommending" users update the software immediately. Link >> http://securityresponse.symantec.com...006.01.10.html

Mark Russinovich of SysInternals, along with security company F-Secure, was credited with discovering the rootkit feature in SystemWorks. Russinovich, the developer of rootkit scanner Rootkit Revealer, also discovered the SONY DRM rootkit. Russinovich is quoted as saying:

It's a bad, bad, bad idea to start hiding things in places where it presents a danger. I'm seeing it more and more with commercial vendors, […]

When you use rootkit-type techniques, even if your intentions are good, the user no longer has full control of the machine. It's impossible to manage the security and health of that system if the owner is not in control.

Russinovich is planning to publish more information about commercial vendors using rootkit technology according to eWeek. At spyware help forums like SpywareWarrior, we are advising users to run rootkit detection apps more frequently as a result of spyware infestations from threats like the AOL Instant Messaging worm. It will be interesting to see what other non-malware is found using rootkits to hide. Stay tuned for more on this unfolding situation
Old 01-13-2006, 04:35 PM
Scattergun is offline Scattergun

lol I feel bad for ppl who have used norton (and who stilll use it)

[Comp-1][Intel C2 2.6Ghz @ 2.9Ghz 10% Overclock][2 Gig DDR2 800][x1900 XTX 512mbCrossfire Edition][20 in LCD 8ms]

Old 01-13-2006, 06:41 PM
DevilDog#1 is offline DevilDog#1

McAfee here

Quote:
If I don't do that doesn't mean I can't - DD#1
Old 01-14-2006, 05:15 AM
zaitsev is offline zaitsev

i once used nortons a few years ago when i first started using computer online untill i had to call there tech support where i was told i had to phone a different number and pay €30 to get a ticket number then call back before i could talk to anyone at tech support, so binned it and have used zonelabs ever since, and not to mention the amount of people i know who still use it and am always having problems with it
Old 01-14-2006, 10:55 AM
ShArP is offline ShArP

Send a message via ICQ to ShArP Send a message via AIM to ShArP Send a message via MSN to ShArP