Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

Old 04-14-2004, 10:34 PM
BeBop is offline BeBop

Send a message via ICQ to BeBop Send a message via AIM to BeBop Send a message via Yahoo to BeBop
Sad Where do you think jobs go?

"As you may know Gateway purchased Emachine a few months ago and Ted Waite (founder of Gateway) stepped down and the President of Emachine and his staff have basically taken over. All of the Gateway stores have closed as of April 9th and even more American jobs have been lost.

This was just published in Information week yesterday about Dell.

http://www.informationweek.com/story...cleID=18901298

Dell Employs More Workers Overseas Than In United States April 13, 2004

More Stories on:
Hardware

The company says it's allocating resources to areas where growth has been fastest, including China and Japan.
By The Associated Press

ROUND ROCK, Texas (AP) -- Computer maker Dell Inc. has more workers overseas than it does in the United States, reversing the makeup of its work force of just a year ago.
Round Rock-based Dell said it was allocating resources where growth has been fastest, including China and Japan.

"We have great opportunities outside the U.S., and as such we have built our employee base in areas that best reflect our strong growth areas," Dell spokesman Bob Kaufman said Tuesday. "Our jobs have grown all over the world, including here in the U.S."

Dell had 46,000 employees as of Jan. 30. About 22,200 of those, or 48.3 percent, were in the United States, while 23,800 people, or 51.7 percent, worked in other countries, according to a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission on Monday.

A year ago, 54.2 percent of Dell's workers were in the United States, according to company filings. Dell's work force grew 17.6 percent during 2003.

Dell said overseas job growth in the past year ran the gamut, from sales and manufacturing to call-center support.

Last year, Dell stopped routing corporate customers to a technical support call center in Bangalore, India, after a flood of complaints. Tech support for Optiplex desktop and Latitude notebook computers are being handled from call centers in Texas, Idaho, and Tennessee instead.

Copyright © 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
The information contained in the AP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.

If you know of anybody thinking about purchasing from one of these companies--maybe the company where you work or the school your kids go to--why not show them this and ask them why they are supporting a company that keeps firing the people that live in the country that helped make their company sucessful. If we as as a people don't start standing up for ourselves and supporting companies that keep on employing our neighbors and relatives--who is going to stand up for us when our jobs go overseas. We used to ask for products that were made in the USA--now can we at least ask for a company that employs a few Americans? When purchasing anything (not just cxomputers) maybe we need to take a minute and research the company to see if their interests are in helping the US or just lining their pockets with our money.

Sorry for the political tone--but I am getting really fed up with these companies who are already showing a healthy profit (Dell) who sell to our schools and government (Dell) and then layoff the people whos tax dollars helped pay for those machines.

Thank you for your time,

Glen Coffield
President
Cheap Guys Computers"

Old 04-14-2004, 10:41 PM
Deus2004 is offline Deus2004

what id do to work in a computer factory, id get all the graphics cards i wanted
Old 04-16-2004, 03:02 AM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
its call cheaper work force lease pay out. meaning they don't have no extra cost. it not a big thing you and i can thank them big boys for opening them doors up to 3rd world countrys, some case we help them make money in turn we lose money nice trade off you ask me. man what B/S keep job in the the country and help out them MGF who spending to much money. its really the companys bigwigs they don't like to be counted for the money they taken and spend on their partys and so on.
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]
Old 04-16-2004, 11:01 AM
BADDOG is offline BADDOG
resigned

Sad

Unfortunately jobs are being exported fro Britain too bro. More and more companies are moving their operations over seas where salaries are much lower and over heads are a lot less.

We are constantly told that unemployment is falling in the U.K. and as a civil servant who works for the government in the employment field I can only say there is a slight (large) difference between the official figures and the true figures for unemployment. That I suppose is politicians for you!

It cannot be allowed to continue as we all suffer by paying more taxes to subsidise these companies who then up shop and move abroad leaving many poor souls without a job and maximising their profits by paying sweat shop wages to their new employees.

Regards
Old 04-16-2004, 11:57 AM
BeBop is offline BeBop

Send a message via ICQ to BeBop Send a message via AIM to BeBop Send a message via Yahoo to BeBop
True bad dog, its not the taxes that worry me though. I was planning on majoring in computer science or some other computer related field when i went to college.... im changing my mind now seeing all this **** happening to people i know and them getting fired.

The other thing i hate is calling tech support for something adn then havin some paki pick up!!! I try and tell them a problem (and God save you if you have a real technical question to deal with something like a router or modem dieng unexpectedly) and then they put you on hold for 30 minutes cuz they dont know **** about computers, they have to look it up in a "problem database". Companies like Dell and HP and Gateway need to get REAL TECH support people not some f*cking idiot who cant answer your problem. This is one of the reasons why i'm pretty comfortable fixing my own computer and buidling it... i CANT STAND TECH SUPPORT.

Sorry if i ranted but people (US CITICZENS) loosing their jobs for some f*g a$$ foreigner in some 3rd world country who dont even pay taxes.... that pisses me off and tops the cake. I have nothing against 3rd world countries getting US companies coming in, but when its something techinical like support, or taking jobs away from hard working, tax paying US (or UK in your case) people, its just wrong. Its big company heads looking for a easier way to make money so they can lounge on there asses all day while the poor people they fired are jobless and dont have any money.

Old 04-16-2004, 06:16 PM
Chief ADFP

don't you love it we go into tomorrow land they said in the 60th that world be a easier and cheaper way of life only to find it is costing more every day we go into it. one day you may rent a apartments 1-room and a 1-bathroom for USD-$20.000.00c a moth that yearly cost of $240.000.00c not counting the tax on top of it, or paying for food 800.00 a moth.
Old 04-16-2004, 07:33 PM
BeBop is offline BeBop

I think i would be on the streets .

Old 04-17-2004, 05:21 AM
BADDOG is offline BADDOG
resigned

Smile

I can understand why it makes you so mad bro and we feel the same over here but then we are just the fools who pay the taxes so what do we matter????

Warm Regards
Old 04-17-2004, 06:26 AM
Chief ADFP

yea your right when your right on the money BADDOG
Quote:
By; Baddogy
we are just the fools who pay the taxes so what do we matter
will them bigwig keep it up we all going to be farmer and cowboys soon. and the city follies can drink beer out of a rusty can soon. stock market i can see soon be crashing like crazy if this keep up. i like what is made in the USA and U.K that last a long time longer not some cheap crappy b/s

As for Gateway MFG computer system they rip people off selling a system with import hardware that is not to be sold or imported into the USA i got a Gateway 1400 system from them con-artist pay out the rear-end after it crash and burn weekly i had a real tech been at it with Microsoft back in the 70 and still working hand and hand with them he look over my system and told me 3 parts i need to replace and he reported them to the FBI for selling Hardware that is Banned from here in the USA they are paying a fine for it big time.

3 parts are: a LEG 8083b Cd writer, Mother Broad, DVD-Player all 3 are only to sold in Japan & China and a 3rd one fore gotting it. i basic got the same items only they are upgraded and a way with more buck to the power. i got hold of the hardware mfg's that made them ask for a newer virsion to use in the USA they directed me to the Part number and the store who had them in stock.

Last edited by Hellfighter; 04-17-2004 at 06:53 AM.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:31 AM
atholon is offline atholon
"ath-hole"

Send a message via MSN to atholon
Some guy in my neighborhood used to work at GateWay here in Salt Lake City as a tech but the "warehouse" where he worked was closed down...like 2 years ago.

PS: EMACHINE and Gateway but suck.
Old 04-17-2004, 08:41 PM
Chief ADFP

will Gateway Mfg name is Mud now days.

Good names Dell, IBM still doing good and maybe Playstation Computer systems (PC-Laptop)

did you know Pioneer Owen Playstation Mfg
you remember some of you and me i use to get a sterio system it was Pioneer it was so out standing in sound, they still around but they have gone out in new ways. PS System.
Old 04-18-2004, 09:10 PM
Lakie is offline Lakie

its probably worth mentioning that jobs arewnt just being lost to Asia and the Like, but technology is making more and more jobs redendant, why employ a person when all a machine will ask for is a little oil occasionally?