Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

Old 05-17-2005, 02:36 PM
Trojan is offline Trojan
honest toil

Send a message via ICQ to Trojan Send a message via AIM to Trojan Send a message via Yahoo to Trojan
Quote:
Originally posted by Klu7ch
im hoping to go and see starwars on thursday... any info on it?

Review: Force Is Strong in Last 'Wars'

AP Photo CAN208
By CHRISTY LEMIRE
AP Movie Critic

All those ``Star Wars'' geeks, who've been waiting for weeks outside movie theaters with their Yoda sleeping bags and their homemade lightsabers, finally have a film that's worthy of their perseverance.

The Force is strong with ``Episode III - Revenge of the Sith,'' the sixth and final piece in George Lucas' galactic saga, which represents a welcome return to the ideas and the spirit that made his original ``Star Wars'' a pop-culture juggernaut 28 years ago.

The circle is now complete, as Lucas' characters are fond of saying, and much of the film's joy comes from watching these familiar names and events fall into place.

It is enormously satisfying to see young Anakin Skywalker (Hayden Christensen) teeter along the edge that separates good and evil, and to see what finally pushes the would-be Chosen One over to the dark side of the Force.

It's a wonderful, small discovery when Anakin receives the name Darth Vader once he finally swears his allegiance to Chancellor Palpatine, who reveals himself here as Darth Sidious, a Sith master and the eventual evil Emperor. (And all the other words that ooze from Ian McDiarmid's mouth leave you feeling so slimy, you'll want to take a shower afterward.)

But the moment we've all been waiting for is one that simply must be experienced in a packed theater: when the mask goes on and the helmet comes down and Anakin takes his first raspy breath as Darth Vader in all his dark, gleaming glory. (You won't hear anyone else breathing, it's such an absorbing sight.)

The iconography is powerful to behold, especially when compared to the horrendously disappointing Episodes I and II. In retrospect, the first two ``Star Wars'' prequels seem even more useless, with their stilted dialogue and their numbing, CGI-infused clone battles.

Lucas wisely has placed the emphasis this time on elaborate lightsaber duels - between Anakin and mentor Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor) against the Sith lord Count Dooku (Christopher Lee), and ultimately between Anakin and Obi-Wan themselves. Some of the biggest thrills come from tiny Yoda, the Jedi master who's at the height of his powers here. He does as much damage with a well-chosen, structurally inverted phrase or the subtlest wrinkle of his round, green face as he does with a swing of his lightsaber. (And Yoda has mad skills.)

Lucas' writing still clangs, though, especially during the exchanges between Anakin and his secret bride, Senator Padme Amidala (Natalie Portman), who announces in Episode III that she's pregnant (with twins we've come to know as Luke and Leia in Episode IV, the original ``Star Wars'').

``You are so beautiful,'' Anakin dreamily tells Padme as she brushes her dark, flowing locks on a balcony in the moonlight.

``Only because I'm so in love,'' Padme coos back to him.

Thankfully, Lucas also didn't saddle her with the heavy headgear and distracting dresses she wore in Episodes I and II, or else she would barely be able to get up and move about the galaxy.

That love for Padme, though, is partly the inspiration for Anakin's conversion. Not to give too much away, but he becomes convinced that Padme is in danger, and the only way to save her is through the powers that come with dark-side membership.

He's actually just being manipulated by Palpatine/Darth Sidious, who wants to turn the Galactic Republic into his own Empire and sees him as a malleable apprentice, especially at a time when Anakin isn't getting the respect and authority he craves from the Jedi Council.

``Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose,'' Yoda warns Anakin, but it's too late - and we know it's too late, and that built-in expectation is much of what makes ``Revenge of the Sith'' so riveting.

It's also a visually wondrous film, though. Lucas uses the digital technology to far greater advantage than he did in the first two prequels, which too often had the glossy, detached look of a video game. Crisp daylight streams through the floor-to-ceiling windows of Padme's apartment, and the cityscapes consist of silvery skyscrapers and golden sunsets. Even Chewbacca and his Wookiee buddies look lifelike as they scamper in battle across the beaches and jungles of the planet Kashyyyk.

Clearly, this is Lucas' war protest movie - Obi-Wan shoots a character down with a gun once his lightsaber is knocked away from him, and afterward sniffs, ``So uncivilized.'' But it's also, at its core, a soap opera. It always has been. Think of Darth Vader telling Luke Skywalker, ``I am your father,'' during the heat of battle in ``The Empire Strikes Back.'' Episode III features fast-paced parallel editing between two staples of daytime TV: a childbirth and a complicated operation.

But despite its drama and darkness, Lucas gives us some light moments, too. He slips in a glimpse of the much-maligned Jar Jar Binks at the very end, and although the big, goofy Gungan doesn't say anything, his presence alone feels like Lucas' last little dig at the naysayers - and a reminder with this final farewell that, nearly 30 years later, he's still doing it his way.

``Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith,'' a Twentieth Century Fox release, is rated PG-13 for sci-fi violence and some intense images. Running time: 142 minutes. Three and a half stars out of four.

Motion Picture Association of America rating definitions:

G - General audiences. All ages admitted.

PG - Parental guidance suggested. Some material may not be suitable for children.

PG-13 - Special parental guidance strongly suggested for children under 13. Some material may be inappropriate for young children.

R - Restricted. Under 17 requires accompanying parent or adult guardian.

NC-17 - No one under 17 admitted.

••• 26th MEUSOC 940311 93-95MySpace •••
Old 05-17-2005, 02:38 PM
DevilDog#1 is offline DevilDog#1

Yuck!

Quote:
If I don't do that doesn't mean I can't - DD#1
Old 05-17-2005, 02:45 PM
Dr. Bullet is offline Dr. Bullet

Send a message via ICQ to Dr. Bullet
NC-17 Star Wars? Sweet
Old 05-17-2005, 02:52 PM
Trojan is offline Trojan
honest toil

Send a message via ICQ to Trojan Send a message via AIM to Trojan Send a message via Yahoo to Trojan
Quote:
Originally posted by Trojan

``Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith,'' a Twentieth Century Fox release, is rated PG-13 for sci-fi violence and some intense images.

Old 05-17-2005, 03:02 PM
Dr. Bullet is offline Dr. Bullet

Send a message via ICQ to Dr. Bullet
I know, I was joking I saw your listing of the ratings and made a joke of it

I just want to see more action like the Yoda scene in the last one...just longer. That was an awesome scene. The whole theater erupted when he pulled back his robe to grab his sabre. Everyone's going: Yeah! and All right!. Everyone was cheering during that scene...it was just too cool.

The coolest part is Count Dookoo's light sabre grip- it's what's called a pistol grip. I have one similar on my foil: http://www.absolutefencinggear.com/s...an-non-ins.jpg
Old 05-17-2005, 03:15 PM
-Tigger- is offline -Tigger-
BB

Mindhunters and kingdom of heaven
Old 05-17-2005, 04:05 PM
Trojan is offline Trojan
honest toil

Quote:
Originally posted by BB
Mindhunters and kingdom of heaven
How was Kingdom of Heaven? I wanna see it.

Old 05-17-2005, 04:28 PM
-Tigger- is offline -Tigger-
BB

Quote:
Originally posted by Trojan
How was Kingdom of Heaven? I wanna see it.
it was ok, some great fight scenes in it, gr8 story line aswell, although its quite long if u ask me, but definatly worth seeing (just for the 2nd half of it)
Old 05-17-2005, 06:13 PM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
1-super 5-fair 10-poor

1.) Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
Rated: PG [V,SC]
Year: 1993
I say it is a: 5
old flame come back into Batman life and she turn out tobe a shocker for him

2.) The Fallen one:
Rated: R [V,SC] (should be PG-13)
Year: 2005 [Scifi channel movie]
I say its a: 3 really good.
basic some Archaeologist found by chance a mommy in the USA, and something goes bad.
basic same line as Mummy alive with a new tweets to it. and the mummy is 40ft tall.
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]
Old 05-18-2005, 03:51 AM
BADDOG is offline BADDOG
resigned

Cool

The MATRIX in my book one of the very best ever Sci-Fi movies!!!!

Regards

Old 05-18-2005, 03:56 AM
Chief ADFP

The MATRIX i have all but the first one on DVD, can't seem to find it in the stores near me.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:59 AM
BADDOG is offline BADDOG
resigned

Smile

Got 'em all Chief so I hope you find a copy soon because they are all great movies!!!!

Warmest Regards
Old 05-18-2005, 04:39 AM
Chief ADFP

yea i hate the last one the good guy gets in the end dies off.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:39 PM

BHD once again on Surround sound

Quote:
Old 05-18-2005, 11:23 PM
Matt is offline Matt

Administrator

Send a message via MSN to Matt
ahh BHD what a good movie

Click here for the official member status images!

Quote:
Originally posted by Panther
For your sence of free speech, we will control how much you have here .
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve
fak i clicked it to lol.

the message "this will disable it" should have been put before

sorry
Old 05-18-2005, 11:27 PM
.enfo. is offline .enfo.

Send a message via ICQ to .enfo.
SAW, i'm scared

Supporter > < Supporter
Quote:
Originally posted by A TIN OF GAS
enfo... u suck!

p.s. love ya really enfo
Old 05-18-2005, 11:31 PM
Kandi is offline Kandi

The last movie i saw was... spanglish... wasnt the best i ever seen but not exactly any of your tastes either lol

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
The only thing that is my fault is me not having any faults.
Quote:
My english teacher wanted to flunk me in junior high. Thanks a lot, next semester I'll be 35.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:12 AM
BADDOG is offline BADDOG
resigned

eek

Saw and I'm scard too bro

Regards a rather chilled Baddog eeeeeeek!!!!!!!
Old 05-19-2005, 08:33 AM

Going to watch Species 1 - 3 tonight

Quote:
Old 05-19-2005, 02:31 PM
Trojan is offline Trojan
honest toil

The Hustler