Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

Old 10-17-2005, 04:08 AM
Lakie is offline Lakie

China to mine uranium - In australia

In the finance section of the news, to illustrate my point about aussie-chinese relations...

China seeks uranium mine

October 17, 2005

CHINA has asked the Federal Government if it can conduct uranium exploration and mining operations in Australia.
Confidential diplomatic cables obtained by The Age newspaper show the Chinese told Australian officials of their interest in "uranium mining and exploration in Australia" at a meeting in Beijing in February.

The deputy director-general of China's National Development and Reform Commission, Wang Jun, had asked Australian officials: "Would Australia permit Chinese involvement?"

The director-general of the Australian Nuclear Safeguards Office, John Carlson, told Mr Wang there would be no restrictions at the federal level, but warned that state and territory governments – responsible for licensing mining and exploration – opposed further uranium mining and exploration.

"It was hoped political attitudes would change, but this was likely to take some time," Mr Carlson said.

Another cable, released by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade to The Age, shows Chinese officials asked to expand the scope of the agreement to include uranium exploration, as well as co-operation on nuclear science and technology.

Advertisement:

In August, Foreign Minister Alexander Downer said Australia was negotiating a safeguards agreement with China regarding uranium exports. Australia had sent agreement documentation to China and was awaiting a response.

The prospect of China conducting mining and exploration operations has not been raised publicly.

In a statement to The Age, the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) said: "Owning or part-owning an Australian uranium mining company – or making a new Chinese-controlled investment in uranium in Australia – is not a short cut to buying uranium and does not circumvent in any way our export controls or safeguards."

Nuclear proliferation expert Richard Broinowski said allowing China to conduct uranium operations in Australia would make it harder to ensure the material was used only for civil power generation.

Professor Broinowski told the newspaper that while China might use Australian uranium for power generation, it could then use its own uranium resources for military purposes.

Australia has about 40 per cent of the world's uranium reserves and three uranium mines in operation – two in South Australia and one in the Northern Territory.

In August, Canberra assumed control of mining rights in the NT, declaring it "open for business" for uranium mining, subject to environmental and Aboriginal approvals.

Last year Australia exported 9648 tonnes of uranium, 39 per cent to the US, 25 per cent to Japan, 25 per cent to the EU, 10 per cent to Korea and 1 per cent to Canada.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:58 AM
BADDOG is offline BADDOG
resigned

Cool

As China is already a nuclear power Mike will this development cause any serious problems if the mining agreement goes through?

Warm Regards
Old 10-17-2005, 06:31 AM
Lakie is offline Lakie

i dont think so, but then again im not chinas biggest critic, not that im its greatest supported either...
Old 10-17-2005, 01:36 PM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
man there are other places i think they can mine for it?

person note; i hate the ID them getting their hands on more of it. not to crazy about it ether.
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]
Old 10-17-2005, 02:04 PM
Terry is offline Terry

hmmm, althought it could be seen as worrying that china will have yet MORE nuclear power over... there's never really been a problem with them in the past has there? (well as far as i know anyway) lol

-----
GIFTS - X