Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

Old 09-06-2004, 06:41 PM
zza1pqx is offline zza1pqx

Send a message via ICQ to zza1pqx Send a message via Yahoo to zza1pqx
There are two threads in one here! Nice.

As for counter terrorism.
The Iranian Embassy seige was a success because of the planning. The SAS knew what they were getting into and knew they could pull it off.
It is impossible to say how they would have planned a siege at a school full of children.
I am not certain they would even try unless the terrorists took lives before negotiation was attempted.
Delta Force are not the best counter terrorist force in the world, nor is the SAS or Spetznas. All these forces are are hyper-trained warriors. Experts in war. Counter Terrorism is a new animal, just like urban warfare. A lot is talked but very little practise has been gained, even in these troubled times.

There is very little known about how to deal with fanatics who are willing and able to deliberatley go for so called soft targets.
The IRA would usually code a warning to give civiliians chance to evacuate.
I dont think even al qaeda would take a school hostage so what hope were spetznas ever expected to have?

There can be no comparison between a Russian military failure and the Iranian Embassy siege. They were not the same thing at all.

Old 09-06-2004, 07:05 PM
Reticle is offline Reticle

Send a message via Yahoo to Reticle
I'm not saying that casulties could have been avoided, I'm just saying that they could have been reduced, by using
a)More expert warriors
and, most importantly
b)Having a clear plan for going in, right from the beginning

Basically, it could have been handled better, and it's time for all the free nations out there to really kick anti-terror training ops into high gear, before more crap like this happens. That, and we really need to take this fight to the terrorists, that is to say, Iran, Syria, etc.

"You're not paranoid if they're really out to get you"
-Unknown

www.bieberworks.com
Old 09-06-2004, 11:50 PM
G|@в64 is offline G|@в64

Send a message via AIM to G|@в64
Lol makes a change me not agreeing with ZZ

hi m8

I will agree however that for the SAS to have been any use, they would have had to been called in very early to the situation.

But i thought id drop by and give some facts

Since 1970 the SAS as Actively worked in anti terrorism, the wing is better known as the CRW wing (Counter Revolutionary Warfare ).

Not sure how it worked in the early years but recently ie last 20 years, each squadron takes it in turns to act as the anti terrorist teams for the crw wing. (4 squadrons )

With that said the crw wing as at their disposal aprox 64 men per squadron, and thats not counting the spooks and siggies attached to the sqn. (Sqn comprises of 4 troops , troop is 4 x 4 men teams), also if it was required they could have sent a second sqn making it 128 of the most highly trained combatants in the world......my point ? there was enough numbers to attempt the siege.

Now the discussion about who is best im from the UK so slightly biased But i will say in the last 20 years the SAS as been the most active military unit in counter terrorism, therefore making them the most experienced.

Wether the SAS could have done better in russia? I say yes, but that doesnt mean there wouldnt have been casualties. It was a difficult situation, and from the reports i have read, i think there was going to be inevitable casualties.

Old 09-07-2004, 02:21 AM
BADDOG is offline BADDOG
resigned

Sad

I suppose this debate would have to happen after the dreadful events in Russia, my sympathies are of course with the parents of the children lost in this cowardly and dispicable act of terror.

I also feel a strong sympathy with the Russian government and military after all who knows how of these awful situations will end? I suppose the men and women on the spot at the time try to do their best and sadly things don't always go to plan in any operation of this kind.

To blame the authorities in Russia would be missing the point in my view as the bastards who carried out this vile attack are responsible for this outcome and no one else. As long as we have thugs, bullys, and make no mistake that's exactly what these kind of people are, we are forced to live with these events and the only way to try and stop them them is hit them hard and make them know we will not tolerate this evil in our global community.

Removing a madman like Hussain in Iraq in just one step on a long road to combating those who would offer finance and sympathy to these terrorists who look for weakness on the part of any government and exploit it to their own evil ends.

The only thing these bastards understand is force, don't get me wrong I am extremely reluctant to have our government use force or any other goverment for that matter but, we are dealing with evil people who have no concept of right or wrong just an insane belief in their "cause" what ever that might be. There is absolutely no justification for what has been done in Russia no matter what the griveance, no matter what the "cause".

Again very reluctantly I say we have no choice but meet this evil with force, we may have to pay a high price for it but the children at that school already have so we have to make these bastards know that if pushed, like the U.S. was on 9/11, then we will hit back and we will hit back very hard indeed.

Regards