Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:33 PM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
Post School teacher bans Linux

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...her-bans-linux

A US school teacher has taken the somewhat stupid step of throwing the open sauce operating system Linux out of her classroom.

The teacher got her knickers in a twist when one of her students, Aaron was seen giving away free discs for the HeliOS Linux distribution and showing his mates how it worked on his laptop.

Her reaction was as though the boy was peddling drugs. The unnamed teacher apparently believed that anything that wasn't Windows was illegal and immoral. She confiscated the discs and put him on detention.

But not satisified with that, she wrote to the HeliOS distributer to complain about his giving Linux to children.

"I am sure you strongly believe in what you are doing but I cannot either support your efforts or allow them to happen in my classroom. At this point, I am not sure what you are doing is legal. No software is free and spreading that misconception is harmful," she wrote.

She said that children look to adults for guidance and discipline and she was going to research to see if she could report the distributer, a bloke called Starks, to the cops.

"I along with many others tried Linux during college and I assure you, the claims you make are grossly over-stated and hinge on falsehoods. I admire your attempts in getting computers in the hands of disadvantaged people but putting Linux on these machines is holding our kids back," she wrote.

Her argument was that the world was ruled by Windows, and it was on almost all computers. "Putting on a carnival show for an operating system is not helping these children at all. I am sure if you contacted Microsoft, they would be more than happy to supply you with copies of an older verison [sic] of Windows and that way, your computers would actually be of service to those receiving them..."

Writing in his bog, Ken Starks said that the letter from the unnamed school teacher showed what an uphill battle Linux people had in dealing with entrenched attitudes.

He wrote back telling her she should be ashamed for thinking that he was doing anything illegal. Starks told the woman that if she investigated anything she would discover that Linux did what it said on the tin and was a free as-in-cost and free as-in-license operating system.

"The fact that you seem to believe that Microsoft is the end all and be-all is actually funny in a sad sort of way," he said.

However he pointed out that the Vole pumps shedloads of cash into her teachers union so it probably was important that she "recommend" Microsoft Windows" or else she would might get reprimanded at the least or fired.

Stark said that the AISD purchases millions of dollars of Microsoft Software when that money could be better spent on educating our children.

"A dedicated School Teacher would recognize that fact and lobby for the change to Free Open Source Software and let the money formally spent on MS bindware be used on our kids. A teacher who cared about her students would do that," he wrote.

Stark told her that she should give Aaron his discs back. He is a brilliant kid and he's learned more using Linux than he ever did using Windows. Those disks and their distribution are perfectly legal and even if he was "disruptive", you cannot keep his property, he wrote.

Just to make sure he has arranged a meeting with the school's Superintendent.

"It looks like we will get to meet in his office when School starts again after the holiday.

"I am anxious to meet a person who is this uninformed and still holds a position of authority and learnedness over our children," Starks wrote.

It looks like this teacher might have allowed her ignorance about life, the universe and everything to get a wee bit out of control.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:22 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

Awesome

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 12-11-2008, 05:06 PM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
omg i would say that school teacher put their foot into their mouth big time and may get fire for it..........

great item steve lmfao

i know you wish it was one of your teacher who did this lol
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]
Old 12-11-2008, 05:31 PM
atholon is offline atholon
"ath-hole"

Send a message via MSN to atholon
I doubt she would get fired over it but she is obviously very ignorant in regards to technology.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:36 PM
.Simon. is offline .Simon.

"...the world was ruled by Windows, and it was on almost all computers"

Shes ovbiously never used a server then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
next person to post half naked gets banned
Old 12-11-2008, 09:10 PM
Chrispy is offline Chrispy

Send a message via MSN to Chrispy Send a message via Yahoo to Chrispy
That teacher's a stupid b**ch, lol.

Just because Windows is the most dominant OS, doesn't mean everyone has to use it or anything...
Intel Core Duo E7300 2.66GHz // SuperTalent DDR2 800 2GB // ASUS nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB // Western Digital 7200RPM 320GB SATA // LG GH-20LS 20X SATA DVD-RAM // Windows XP Pro 32-bit // Thermaltake XP550 NP 430W // Thermaltake SOPRANO SECC Black
Old 12-11-2008, 10:57 PM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
will she must be thinking there is no type of software free other then Pirated software.

got to say she most be from a farm town were they not to bright on things dealing with computer systems at all or brain dead when.

i only like to know were she teaching at (School name) so i tell my family keep their kids away from there, they are a bet backwards when it come's to handing out smarts things to teach others with.

1980s i can see a teacher saying that with software were hitting the market and pirate software going crazy

some do think a software that is free always has a price tag to them, but some have no clue there is items for free
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]
Old 12-12-2008, 08:21 AM
ShArP is offline ShArP

Send a message via ICQ to ShArP Send a message via AIM to ShArP Send a message via MSN to ShArP
now thats funny

Old 12-12-2008, 11:41 AM
SilentTrigger is offline SilentTrigger
-1PARA-

Awsome!

My photography website

Old 12-21-2008, 06:49 AM
xaarniex is offline xaarniex

wht a bunch of rubbish THT TEACHER NEEDS A GOOD KICK UP HER A*S