Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

Old 05-31-2002, 09:32 PM
Black6~ODA~ is offline Black6~ODA~

Send a message via ICQ to Black6~ODA~
Sad Anyone know how to do Perl?

Anyone here know Perl??? I really need help. My site is code-delta.com and I can't get this Perl script for forums to work. You can contact me through e-mail at black6@code-delta.com. Or my ICQ # is 48089687 or you can get me in MSN messenger through andrewgarcia111@hotmail.com.
"Energetically will I meet the enemies of my country. I shall defeat them on the field of battle for I am better trained and will fight with all my might. Surrender is not a Ranger word. I will never leave a fallen comrade into the hands of the enemy and under no circumstances will I ever embarass my country."
The Ranger Creed
Old 05-31-2002, 10:57 PM
Matrix is offline Matrix

What script are you using?
Old 06-01-2002, 01:00 AM

the YaBB script, from www.yabbforum.com
"Energetically will I meet the enemies of my country. I shall defeat them on the field of battle for I am better trained and will fight with all my might. Surrender is not a Ranger word. I will never leave a fallen comrade into the hands of the enemy and under no circumstances will I ever embarass my country."
The Ranger Creed
Old 06-01-2002, 10:47 AM
Matrix is offline Matrix

Based on the link you posted here I would say that they no longer offer support for that script. Which script are you having trouble with, and what error are you getting if any?

If you have telnet access I would try to compile the script in the shell. Do this by opening your telnet, navigating to the script directory, then typing:

perl -c yourscript.cgi

This will let you know if it compiles okay. If not you should get an error giving you a pretty specific line where the error can be found.

I don't know if you are new to Perl or not. If so, one of the biggest errors people make is the location of perl on the server. There is a path to your perl compiler on the top of almost every script. Make sure this is correct. If you don't know your "she-bang" or path, enter telnet and type:

whereis Perl

However, the best way to find out path information is to ask your web host. They will usually answer your questions without a problem.

Always upload CGI scripts in ASCII mode (Not binary)
By default, your FTP program always uploads files in binary mode. That's fine for most files -except CGI files. CGI files must be uploaded in ASCII format, or don't expect them to work. Your FTP program should allow you to change between binary and ASCII mode (In WSFTP, this option appears at the the bottom of the screen). Always switch to ASCII mode before uploading your CGI scripts.

After uploading the script, set it's permission
You're not quite out of the woods (but almost). After uploading, you need to set it's permission. You see, since a CGI script is installed on the server end, in the wrong hands, it could cause damage to your site and possibility even the server itself. That's why you need to set permissions on your CGI script before they will be allowed to run. Permission can be set directly using your FTP program.

Hope this helps. If not, post the script here and I will take a look at it.
Old 06-01-2002, 03:34 PM

absolutely nothing works with it, I can't even get the simple little forum script wwwBoard from matt's script archive to work and I'm doing everthing that idiots hosting me are telling me. Now the website to the script has just gone down since yesterday becuase the person decided to switch to php. Right now I don't care what kind of script it is, PHP, Perl, whatever, just please help me get something up becuse up for forums lol. I uploaded the .zip to the script here, Y1Gold_SP1.1_pl.zip
The Ranger Creed
Old 06-01-2002, 03:51 PM
Matrix is offline Matrix

I will take a look at it and let you know if i can get it to work on my DEV server.
Old 06-01-2002, 07:51 PM

Thanks
The Ranger Creed
Old 06-02-2002, 07:26 PM
BLADE =GH= is offline BLADE =GH=

Send a message via ICQ to BLADE =GH=
hi m8 a good start to learning is at www.htmlgoodies.com
Old 06-03-2002, 12:06 AM
Matrix is offline Matrix

I am having a little trouble installing the package on my server. I am running IIS though. You said your server was UNIX right?

I have to take this package to work and test it there. I will get back to you real soon.
Old 06-03-2002, 07:36 PM

Yea its unix, though this host I had sucked and I cancelled got my money back and am about to get a new one... any suggestions.
The Ranger Creed