Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:41 PM
Chrispy is offline Chrispy

Send a message via MSN to Chrispy Send a message via Yahoo to Chrispy
ANZAC Day!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ANZAC_Day

Kiwis and Aussies!

Chris
Intel Core Duo E7300 2.66GHz // SuperTalent DDR2 800 2GB // ASUS nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB // Western Digital 7200RPM 320GB SATA // LG GH-20LS 20X SATA DVD-RAM // Windows XP Pro 32-bit // Thermaltake XP550 NP 430W // Thermaltake SOPRANO SECC Black
Old 04-27-2007, 01:22 AM

On Campbell Live on ANZAC day, they were talking about a man that was shot by our NZ soldiers (seems hard to believe) for desertion. Well, I wouldn't blame the dude, seeing that he did have shell shock and all which had him pretty effed up at the time. He'd probably wanted to get as far away as possible. Feel sorry for the poor bugger though...

Even Aussie soldiers wouldn't shoot their own men.

Chris
Intel Core Duo E7300 2.66GHz // SuperTalent DDR2 800 2GB // ASUS nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB // Western Digital 7200RPM 320GB SATA // LG GH-20LS 20X SATA DVD-RAM // Windows XP Pro 32-bit // Thermaltake XP550 NP 430W // Thermaltake SOPRANO SECC Black
Old 04-27-2007, 08:29 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
^ welcome to WW1

obviously i wasn't there but that's exactly what happened to troops in WW1.

think of it as a kind of incentive not to retreat!

recently in the UK there was a few court cases to overturn convictions of cowardice (to clear the names of their dead relatives that fought in the war). a lot of troops were conviced of deserting (i'm not sure what punishment was handed out - court marshall? shot?), but there is good documentation of mental trauma im most cases, and it was a case of ppl not understanding phycological problems at that time, that and the idiotic way wars were fought in those days and generals forcing thousands of troops to die for a few metres land gained.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:46 AM
Grenademan is offline Grenademan

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve
^ welcome to WW1

obviously i wasn't there but that's exactly what happened to troops in WW1.

think of it as a kind of incentive not to retreat!

recently in the UK there was a few court cases to overturn convictions of cowardice (to clear the names of their dead relatives that fought in the war). a lot of troops were conviced of deserting (i'm not sure what punishment was handed out - court marshall? shot?), but there is good documentation of mental trauma im most cases, and it was a case of ppl not understanding phycological problems at that time, that and the idiotic way wars were fought in those days and generals forcing thousands of troops to die for a few metres land gained.
Took the words right out of my thoughts.

WWI probably is the most horrible of all wars fought. Especially the whole "keep rushing them!" tactic that was employed on monstrous occasions. A mate of mine who read "All Quiet on the Western Front" told me that apparently during a mass charge, people who had had half their heads taken off by a bullet kept on running for several metres before the rest of the body realised what had just happened. Horrible.

Thankfully things like shooting cowards to keep others in line isnt as common these days. Reminds me of Dawn of War how Comissars can execute troops under their command to boost teh firing rate of the rest of the squad.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:34 PM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
old days i remember if one is found for raping a girl? they be hang in the US-Army and if they found to have desertion? they have a chance to say they lost their way in a combat zone (MIA) and was not able to locate their united at all. other wise they be hang or shot if they found proof they did desertion.

but we have to remember not all nation follow the same path.

if they kill a desertion (AOL) that means they may have big time trouble with keep their men/women in line. by killing all desertion it sends a hard message to other don't try it.

South Korea they would do this right off the back! let's say a solder kill their teammate accented, they don't care they take that person out to the woods let them go and run for it, there be like a deer hunt lucky winner get to go to the U.S and get a lot of money on top of that from the S-Korea Government
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]
Old 04-27-2007, 05:02 PM

It was said that WWI was supposed to be the war that ''ended all wars'' TBH.

And at the very end of the war, us NZ soldiers were smart enough to plant dumbies all over the trenches so the enemy thought they were real men. We left unnoticed.

Well, at least we tried our best.

For more info, see here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_war_1

Chris
Old 04-27-2007, 06:26 PM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
that there will be WWIII, will be a war that will end all wars a planet without life on the face of this planet, totally wipe clean of mans sins on it
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]
Old 04-27-2007, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chief ADFP
that there will be WWIII, will be a war that will end all wars a planet without life on the face of this planet, totally wipe clean of mans sins on it
Just like Albert Einstein said, WW4 will be fought with sticks and stones. That shall be because WW3 will send all of us to the stone age.

Chris
Old 04-27-2007, 08:09 PM
Lucky is offline Lucky

WWI was the recipe for WWII. The treaty of versaille and article 231(war guild clause) was the most indecent thing ever done to germany plus the afterwar depression put Hitler in a main position to show up to power and become the charmastic leader he was then and convince the german people after a commision of U.S bankers lent 10 million or so dollars to stablalize germanys hyperinflated economy pulled that money out of the german stock markets causing a major crash which led the german people to despise the U.S. Hitler then followed in Mousalini (i spelt that way wrong). well . so much for a history lesson.

but yeah WWIII has already happened and WWIIII will never happen cuz WWIII will never end
Old 04-27-2007, 08:57 PM

If I'm right, the German's had finally signed the treaty (to admit they were responsible for the war) after it was kept under blockade (kept under blockade by our people I think). So much for the Germans...

Hitler fought against us in WWI BTW, so screw him to bits.

Chris
Old 04-27-2007, 09:20 PM
Lucky is offline Lucky

The germans didnt do anything, its their crazy leader kaiser wihlem 2nd that got them into ww1
Old 04-27-2007, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chrispy
If I'm right, the German's had finally signed the treaty (to admit they were responsible for the war) after it was kept under blockade (kept under blockade by our people I think). So much for the Germans...

Hitler fought against us in WWI BTW, so screw him to bits.

Chris
Dude, Hitler's armies fought ALL of the allies, not JUST New Zealand troops. WWII truly was a World War since damn near every place inhabited by humans saw something to do with it. Hell, even the place of my birth was bombed and blown into nothing by the Japanese shortly after they attacked Pearl Harbour. They still find live bombs in the mangrove swamps around Darwin sometimes.

In the farthest rural areas south of Darwin there are a couple of abandoned airstrips. In the bush you'll find old bunkers and piles of rusted barrels. Me and mum even found a plane wreck deep in the scrub. Ship wrecks lay at the bottom around Darwin's harbour (which are off limits to everyone for obvious reasons). There are old tunnels under teh city that were used as shelters and to move supplies around while the Japanese were bombing the crap out of everything. Some of the videos taken at the time of the raids on Darwin interest me, as I see the place where I lived all my life plunged into flames.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:11 PM
Sen is offline Sen
OG

This is starting to sound more like a discussion on WWI-II rather than a commemoration on ANZAC Day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedrumSalad View Post
@Sen: your avatar creeps the hell outta me
Old 04-27-2007, 10:44 PM
Lucky is offline Lucky

indeed it is
Old 04-28-2007, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Grenademan
Dude, Hitler's armies fought ALL of the allies, not JUST New Zealand troops.
I know that.

Chris
Old 04-28-2007, 02:35 AM

From the sounds of your post, Chris, it was as if you were implying that that was all who Hitler's armies fought against. Now dont go biting my head off because i was assuming things.
Not to mention that that post was kind of pointless if all you said in it was 4 words.

And †¥øñÐäîm陆, its a few days over Anzac Day so its no surprise that this thread is branching off into other topics.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:08 AM
Lakie is offline Lakie

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucky
The germans didnt do anything, its their crazy leader kaiser wihlem 2nd that got them into ww1
If your going to go that far back minus'll blame Otto von Bismarck, quite the genius really, hes the guy the made it his life goal to unify the Germanic states in Germany, people forget that Germany isnt that old a country. Anyway, Bismarck having created Germany by crushing France in the 7weeks war, saw these major imperialist powers in France and Russia surrounding him and realized that another war against France would mean a war on two front cause Russia was chummy with France at the time. So he did what any good leader would do and started to align Germany with other countries which in turn everyone aligned aswell and so on and so on...

It was the alliances that really made WW1 as devastating as it was, if there hadn't have been the alliance system the Shooting of the Archduke just would have meant a local war IMO.

Ironic thing is that Germany could have very easily won world war 1 had things gone slightly differently...
Old 04-28-2007, 05:38 PM

Quote:
From the sounds of your post, Chris, it was as if you were implying that that was all who Hitler's armies fought against. Now dont go biting my head off because i was assuming things.
Not to mention that that post was kind of pointless if all you said in it was 4 words.

And †¥øñÐäîm陆, its a few days over Anzac Day so its no surprise that this thread is branching off into other topics.
When I said Hitler fought against us, I was specifically meaning us NZ soldiers TBH. But just because I said that, it doesn't mean I was saying Hitler only fought against us. The dude also (no doubt about it), was fighting against all the Allied armies and that. Well, you get what I mean.

These days us Kiwi soldiers are just the peacekeeping fellas and that's pretty much it I think. I dunno about the Aussie's next door though.

Chris
Old 04-28-2007, 09:29 PM

As quoted from FHM:

"All the New Zealand army can fit into a 1976 bongo van and still have room for a keg of beer!" (not accurate but thats around what they said.

Don't worry its just FHM teasing you. I found it funny but i know it isnt true.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:39 PM

Quote:
As quoted from FHM:

"All the New Zealand army can fit into a 1976 bongo van and still have room for a keg of beer!" (not accurate but thats around what they said.

Don't worry its just FHM teasing you. I found it funny but i know it isnt true.
LOL.

Chris