Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Computers > Tech Support
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Tech Support Have a problem? Maybe we can help!

Old 06-02-2006, 05:24 PM
Chrispy is offline Chrispy

Send a message via MSN to Chrispy Send a message via Yahoo to Chrispy
Windows Explorer restarting when opening up My Computer

Windows Explorer restarting when opening up My Computer

For some reason, I'm pretty sure it's the
Data Execution Prevention or a fragmented file but, when I open up My Computer, Windows Explorer restarts for some reason. To get to My Computer I have to open up
My Documents and change the address.

It's said that it's a bug in Windows XP Professional SP2 as said on a website but how do I fix it up? I've disabled
the Data Execution Prevention by editing the boot.ini file but it doesn't do nothing though. Besides, it was good to disable it anyway as it might hog the system resources but... how do I fix this damn problem!?

Chris_OJB_DF645 --
Intel Core Duo E7300 2.66GHz // SuperTalent DDR2 800 2GB // ASUS nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB // Western Digital 7200RPM 320GB SATA // LG GH-20LS 20X SATA DVD-RAM // Windows XP Pro 32-bit // Thermaltake XP550 NP 430W // Thermaltake SOPRANO SECC Black
Old 06-02-2006, 09:08 PM
EDGE is offline EDGE

Send a message via ICQ to EDGE Send a message via AIM to EDGE Send a message via Yahoo to EDGE
wait wait...when you open up my computer, windows explorer restarts? I take it your using windows explorer to locate files/folders? IF your getting that problem, just use My Computer, the icon on your desktop or the option in your start menu.

Im not fully understanding what your talking about..
Old 06-02-2006, 10:20 PM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
chris tell us in step how this is happening? ok

is exployer open up on its own without you doing a thing when you go to desktop?
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]
Old 06-02-2006, 11:03 PM

When I mean Windows Explorer, I mean the computer's restarting by itself.
It restarts where the desktop loads up.

Chris_OJB_DF645 --
Intel Core Duo E7300 2.66GHz // SuperTalent DDR2 800 2GB // ASUS nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB // Western Digital 7200RPM 320GB SATA // LG GH-20LS 20X SATA DVD-RAM // Windows XP Pro 32-bit // Thermaltake XP550 NP 430W // Thermaltake SOPRANO SECC Black
Old 06-03-2006, 03:24 AM
Chief ADFP

one did you every disable "auto-restart"?

all so did you every instill goback 4 in? if so goback a day before this started you be fine

as it starts backup you press the spacebar you get option for goback what to do follow and pick a option to use.
Old 06-03-2006, 03:29 AM
katana*GFR* is offline katana*GFR*

Send a message via ICQ to katana*GFR* Send a message via MSN to katana*GFR*
I knwo what Chris means, i had it myself also..

For some reason when you are opening Windows Explorer on a certain location it will crash, in my case it only crashed the service so XP booted the explorer service and i was ready..

I havent found a real fix for it, but since i install XP so many times a year it hasnt been much of a problem for me..

Found on Youtube:
Quote:
And if Newton Faulkner's voice can be described as "R&B" then Kurt Cobain must be a member of Boyz II Men.
Link here
Old 06-03-2006, 04:56 AM
Chief ADFP

Chris you can do a fix, but there a drawback redo all the updates without lose of programs instill.

read this: http://www.novahq.net/forum/showthre...threadid=29775
Old 06-03-2006, 04:04 PM

Well it must be a fragmented file. The system's already been set to not automatically restart when a problem occurs, I'll do that DOS-Prompt thing later in the day okay Chief?

I might run Defragmenter as well.

I can't really blame myself for this problem cause it would've happened sooner or later...

Chris_OJB_DF645 --
Old 06-03-2006, 06:40 PM
Chief ADFP

did you added anything new to your computer? hardware, driviers, progam in the last week?
Old 06-03-2006, 09:00 PM

I don't think so. The computer doesn't have fragemented files after I did an analysis.
I updated the computer with Windows Update and it said there's an update for a security problem with Windows Explorer. Could be the answer and the update's installed as well.

I'll ask the Microsoft Newsgroup.

I still want some help though.

Chris_OJB_DF645 --
Old 06-04-2006, 12:38 AM

I've found out the problem:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320563/en-us

It's Kodak EasyShare my brother put on, that's what's stuffing Windows Explorer up, just currently looking at the Kodak site. Kodak EasyShare associates itself with the .jpeg files so that must be the conflict.
Weird, but, it's for real (it's true).

DC5000, DC3400, DC280, DC265, DC260, DC240i, DC240, DC220

To use your camera with WINDOWS XP Operating System, do not install the software that was shipped with your camera. WINDOWS XP Operating System comes with drivers that will allow you to connect to your KODAK Camera and take advantage of the EASYSHARE System. Download and install for free the latest KODAK EASYSHARE Software.

After you install the software, connect your camera to your computer. When you are prompted to select which application to launch, select KODAK EASYSHARE Software. Also check the box that allows EASYSHARE Software to always be the application that launches when you connect your camera.

^ Wonder why.

Thanks for the help anyway guys.

Chris_OJB_DF645 --
Old 06-04-2006, 02:20 AM
Chief ADFP

its the drivers thats all, Microsoft make changes them drivers need to be update or software it a normal thing.

any time instill a software or add-in any hardware even if is a KODAK Camera to hookup to your system one should always check for updates on it. normal and some what buggy

knowing your computer like i know you need to save them updates, your freaky brother going to redo the hard drive any time soon, it need tobe reinstall again.
Old 06-04-2006, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chief ADFP
its the drivers thats all, Microsoft make changes them drivers need to be update or software it a normal thing.

any time instill a software or add-in any hardware even if is a KODAK Camera to hookup to your system one should always check for updates on it. normal and some what buggy

knowing your computer like i know you need to save them updates, your freaky brother going to redo the hard drive any time soon, it need tobe reinstall again.
Damn right Chief!

I might uninstall EasyShare and get the latest one of the Kodak site.

Chris_OJB_DF645 --