Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Delta Force
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Delta Force Anything to do with the Delta Force series of games, DF1, DF2, LW, TFD, BHD, DFX, AF etc.

Old 12-09-2001, 02:45 PM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
Post Adding atmosphere and extra detail to maps

Adding Atmosphere and Extra Detail to your DF Land Warrior Maps
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Atmosphere
^^^^^^^^^^
As you may have guessed, this is an environmental thing (no not saving forests or recycling) involved with:

<1> Sky Settings
<2> Fog
<3> Weather Conditions
<4> Sound
<5> Water

These 5 things are neglected when people make maps, but changing variables can mean the difference between a good map, poor map or an unforgettable map.

This guide contains an overview of each of the 5 variables. Things may get repeated a little but all the five are linked.

<1> - Sky Settings

Sky settings are pretty self explanitory. You just pick one you like basically, but if you make a single player mission and you mention a 'dawn raid' in the briefing don't make it night or midday sky setting! simple really but often missed.

If a sky setting says 'overcast' it will have fog as default. Try removing the fog from overcast maps for different effects.

Also, the sky type effects the height that a parachute spawn should be. To see a list of the sky heights go to http://www.df-hq.com and download the sky heights document in the utilities section. This file was made by Smokin@420.bud

One more point, if you make the weather rainy, make sure you make the sky cloudy

<2> - Fog Settings

Sometimes seen as annoying, others love it. But whatever your preference, fog can add quite alot to any LW map. Some of the effects that can be created are: murky swamp, sandstorm, toxic gas, normal fog, slight mist, snow effect etc etc just use your imagination. It can be used to restrict visibility of snipers or at maximum setting for extreme close quarter battles (CQB) or knife matches. The range for fog goes from a minimum of 0 ( no fog ) to 9 ( very low visibility ).

The fog colour selector in the mission editor may look confusing at first. There are three boxes. The first is RED the second is GREEN and the third is BLUE. The range of each colour goes from 0 to 255, where placing 255 in each box will give the colour white, and 0 in each box will give the colour black. It is possible to make any colour you can think of but you need the right numbers in each box. tricky? could be, but a simple solution can be found in any paint programme. e.g. MS Paint, Paint Shop Pro, Photoshop etc etc. Just look at the colour attributes or the colour picker in each.

Black fog can be used to reduce the effect of the 'black dot'. Try using black fog on either value of 0, 1 or 2. A white fog at night on a value of 1 can lighten up the map a little. Blue sky with distant blue fog looks cool also.

<3> - Weather Settings

In the mission editor, it appears that there is a choice of 3 weather conditions.

1) Nice Day
2) Rain
3) Snow

However, snow DOES NOT work! So the choice becomes even more limited. Only rain or nice day is available Well you should make the most of what you are given. Genrally most maps are created using the nice day setting, but rain can be used as a great atmosphere effect, especially if combined with other elements such as mist, water and rain sounds.

Imagine being camped out under some trees or bushes with your sniper rifle waiting for the ememy to get into view, rain pouring down ( with rain noise added to ), slight mist obscuring you view of the terrain, overcast. Nice huh? well I think so anyway.

Remember, rain should be acompanied by cloud setting!

<4> - Sound

This has got to be the the most neglected feature in the mission editor with regards to the atmosphere of the map, but should be added ( in moderation ) to each and every one in my opinion. Some noises are better than others and some are louder than others. The oilrig noises are quite loud so I recommend using those ones for rain, water and wind.

Placing sounds is again just common sence which and where to use but most people don't use them at all! You do not really notice if they aren't there but they are noticed and effective if added to a map. It seems eerie if a map is silent, SO GO USE SOME SOUND

<5> - Water

One of the best feature about adding water to a LW map is that it can be use to create the appearence of a new terrain. For example, pick a terrain and add lots of water. You will end up with a map wit lots of islands! Or you could take a terrain with water on it as default and then take away the water! It can also be used to create rivers or lakes on some terrains. They already have channels and riverbeds, they just need the correct water height.

Don't forget that if someone is shooting from water it is very hard to kill them and is very annoying in a game like a sniper only server.

You could cover the whole map in water and as long as all the players have a Lar-V, it would provide an alternative to just the regular land fighting.

Adding Extra Detail
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This section is all about those 'little things' that can compliment a map and give that 'finishing' touch. The placement and item selection is basically common sence but they are also things that a lot of map makers don't use / didn't think of. Just a word of warning - these 'extras' are not essential and could contribute to lag!

Outdoor detail
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Trees are a good addition to any outdoor based map. They offer an amount of cover and also make the map more realistic. A map maker should consider the type of tree they are going to use in the map. Have you ever seen pine trees in the desert? Didn't think so. Trees usually grow in groups and aslo near to water. If using a snowy terrain, use snow covered trees, and if using a snow / green terrain, mix the type of tree - some with snow and some without. making a desert map? Stick some cacti or palm trees in there. I like the palm trees than can be shot down, nice effect and also provides cover on the ground when the piece falls down. If you put water in a desert map, put trees near to it, like an oasis. Trees near a water tower is realistic to.

Don't just scatter trees all over a map just for the sake of it, instead think of strategic places to put them where players may benefit or to help hide a specific building or object.

Vary the size of trees, some small, some large etc. After all in reality how many trees are exactly the same height?

Thinking about haveing the crashed plane in your map? You could create a nice effect by putting trees infront of the plane but none behind, giving the impression that the plane has knocked over some trees as it crashed.

I made a great effect in a map which involved changing the pitch of a tree to 90, so it was laid flat over a dip or hole in the terrain. It made a fantastic sniper spot but unfortunately, every time the map loaded, the heading of the tree changed! It was either correct or facing 180 degrees the wrong way! Maybe you could have more success?

Another effect possible with trees is to lower their Z value. This gives the impression of a new type of bush.

One more thing I would suggest is to place some tree sounds near any trees, just for extra realism.

Bushes are also nice additions to most maps, and go in similar places to trees - near water etc. Put them on the top of ridges on the terrain to give cover for players. Remember you don't really get green bushes in the desert! ( except near water sources ).

Reeds should be put on the edges of rivers and lakes.

Going to put a destroyed vehicle in a map? Put some bushed in and around it to give the impression it's been there a while.

If you put a lot of bushes in a small area, it will be virtually impossible to see a player hiding in them.

The stone formations are hardly used by mapmakers, but I feel it's a good item to use, especially when adding detail to a map. They can be used for show and to fill up some empty space, but you'll find that they are used as cover by players as they are bullet proof.

I made a cool looking river dam by using multiple stone formations.

Mayan stones can also be used to give similar effects such as gravestones and cool stone bunkers.

Got a river in your map? Put a bridge over it. It's useful for players and looks good. Wooden or stone is personal opinion, but just make sure they line up and touch the sides. If it looks messy, it's better not to have it. We are trying to make a map look better not worse

I like to use crates and barrels in maps. They look good when placed near to houses, like and ammo or supply dump. A village needs supplies doesn't it? Well make sure it has some.

Explosive crates and barrels have a bonus effect - they blow up! So by adding them you create two effects in your map.

The 'crates, large stack' is a good space filler if you feel something is missing from a map.

One of my favourite detail effects is using street lights and spotlights in night maps. Dependin gon where they ar eplaced, they can look really nice in a map. Remember that the light will go through objects if they are placed to close.

Try putting them on guard towers and alter the pitch and hrading to make it varied and realistic.

Lights can be used to highlight specific areas like entrances to tunnels or buildings.

Also remember that spotlights cannot move at all and can be destroyed and that streetlights cannot be destroyed.

Indoor Detail
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'm sure you have a house that has furnature in it? Well so should the buildings in DFLW! Tables, chairs, radios, lockers etc can all be added and make your map that little bit more special.

Put a house in a map and it looks empty and boring. Now add a table with som echairs around it. Out a radio on the table (increase the z value). Looks a bit better doesn't it? You could also place a gun in tha house that is resting against a wall or the table, or place some grenades on the table. Just have a close look at the items in the mission editor and see what you could do with them.

Placing an armory cabinet inside a building has teo effects. Firstly it adds something to make the building less boring and plain, and secondly it is useful. Players can reload but they are also protected as they do so.

An extra thing you could do with the table and chairs is to change their pitch to 90 so they are on their sides. Why do that? I hear you say. Well it can give the impression that the inhabitants left in a hurry ( when they saw you running over the hill guns blazing). Just a little trick you can use if you want to.
Old 12-09-2001, 05:29 PM
Sandman is offline Sandman
DF-HQ Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Sandman Send a message via AIM to Sandman
There you have it. Words from a man who knows. Excellent piece Stevie, now if they'll take your advice.
Old 12-09-2001, 05:34 PM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
thanks m8.

i risked my job styping and writing it @ work lol

"what you doing?"

erm jus... just writing what ive been doing since i got here for my tutor

lol