Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Gaming Talk
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Gaming Talk Post all your game related stuff here. This includes PC, Console, Handhelds etc.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:28 AM
Chrispy is offline Chrispy

Send a message via MSN to Chrispy Send a message via Yahoo to Chrispy
ArmA: Combat Operations will be in the US tomorrow!

Yep, tomorrow, May 1st.

It's 5.33pm here NZ time and it's the 30th April, and I dunno if it's the 30th of April in the US. Well, if it's not 30th April in the US as I've typed this, by the time you see this thread, it'll probably be the 30th there, lol. :S

For more info, see this.

Chris
Intel Core Duo E7300 2.66GHz // SuperTalent DDR2 800 2GB // ASUS nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB // Western Digital 7200RPM 320GB SATA // LG GH-20LS 20X SATA DVD-RAM // Windows XP Pro 32-bit // Thermaltake XP550 NP 430W // Thermaltake SOPRANO SECC Black

Last edited by Chrispy; 04-30-2007 at 12:33 AM.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:17 PM
Mstenger404 is offline Mstenger404

Send a message via MSN to Mstenger404
i got all the money to spend on games now... but not parents' permission D:

Intel Q9300 Quad~2.5Ghz
PALIT GTX570
ASUS GTX280 Dedicated PhysX
WD Velociraptor 300GB 10k RPM
WD Caviar Black 1TB 7,200 RPM
4GB Patriot DDR3 1333mhz
Intel BOXDX48BT2 X48
Corsair 1000Watt Modular PSU
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
ASUS VG238H 23" 120Hz 3D-Ready
Old 05-02-2007, 12:20 AM

The new demo came out some while ago:
http://operationflashpoint.filefront...ult_Demo;78566

Contains three single player missions, three multiplayer maps, a limited version of the Mission Wizard, a Mission Wizard mission, and is 875mb.

Chris
Intel Core Duo E7300 2.66GHz // SuperTalent DDR2 800 2GB // ASUS nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB // Western Digital 7200RPM 320GB SATA // LG GH-20LS 20X SATA DVD-RAM // Windows XP Pro 32-bit // Thermaltake XP550 NP 430W // Thermaltake SOPRANO SECC Black
Old 05-02-2007, 04:52 PM
Mauser 98K is offline Mauser 98K

grrrr, went looking 4 it today and itll be in stores here the 10th.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:52 PM

woot, i got it today about to install it. 45$ thiught it would be 50$.

wow 6gb required.

lol, itll take some getting used to, did qualify as a sniper the first time i played, hit every time on the siloett but 1 round, woot, dam im good, lol.

now time to get killed, lol.

Last edited by Mauser 98K; 05-10-2007 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:53 PM

Hehe, was it great?

Tell us more... lol. Was realism a biggie in there?

Chris
Old 05-11-2007, 06:05 PM

depends on what ya idea of realism is.

sorry to say my opinion of it is, it is Operation flash point but with diffrent scenery and they complicated the hell out of the controlls, i even think that some of the missions are the same as flashpoint but just diffrent weapons and vehicles.

and the ballistics are accurate for the m24 rifle if it had a 10 inch barrel and a half power load.

the sights of the weapons are garbage, they are too tiny to aim with, ya do have a bigger option like BHD sights but ya have to hold the mouse button down.

they tried to hard so they made it crappy.

the guy when ya try to target he is all over the place and ya cant aim, i dont claim too be the best shot in the world but dam this guy must be poping speed for he got the twitches bad.

and they started the controll **** again, ya cant just use the weapon that ya want, and i swear on the single player missions if ya dont do it a certain way perfectly ya get people comeing out of the woodwork and ya cant sneak fer **** for some of them still know where ya are b4 you do and can still see thru some of the bushes.

i caught 1 of them just apearing out of thin air lastnite.

my recomendation, dont waste ya money on this game.

it is no more realistic than my version of BF2.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:12 PM

I wonder if the latest update for the game has fixed a lot TBH for ''realism''.

Sorry I recommended this game to ya Mauser. Thought you'd like it, seeing you like realism in games lol. And even though I haven't played ArmA, I did play OFP, and thought that ArmA would be like OFP.

Are you planning on getting a refund for the game?

Chris
Old 05-11-2007, 09:12 PM
Grenademan is offline Grenademan

Quote:
Originally posted by Mauser 98K
depends on what ya idea of realism is.

sorry to say my opinion of it is, it is Operation flash point but with diffrent scenery and they complicated the hell out of the controlls, i even think that some of the missions are the same as flashpoint but just diffrent weapons and vehicles.

and the ballistics are accurate for the m24 rifle if it had a 10 inch barrel and a half power load.

the sights of the weapons are garbage, they are too tiny to aim with, ya do have a bigger option like BHD sights but ya have to hold the mouse button down.

they tried to hard so they made it crappy.

the guy when ya try to target he is all over the place and ya cant aim, i dont claim too be the best shot in the world but dam this guy must be poping speed for he got the twitches bad.

and they started the controll **** again, ya cant just use the weapon that ya want, and i swear on the single player missions if ya dont do it a certain way perfectly ya get people comeing out of the woodwork and ya cant sneak fer **** for some of them still know where ya are b4 you do and can still see thru some of the bushes.

i caught 1 of them just apearing out of thin air lastnite.

my recomendation, dont waste ya money on this game.

it is no more realistic than my version of BF2.
ROFL!! I dont mean to sound mean or anything but thats the sort of opinion ive been looking for about this game. This'll shut Chris up about it! Or will it make him talk more about it? Who knows...

Just let it go Chris. The only real reason you should be remotely interested in this game (and any other) is if you have it in your possession...
Old 05-11-2007, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Grenademan
ROFL!! I dont mean to sound mean or anything but thats the sort of opinion ive been looking for about this game. This'll shut Chris up about it! Or will it make him talk more about it? Who knows...

Just let it go Chris. The only real reason you should be remotely interested in this game (and any other) is if you have it in your possession...
You should blame BIS for my interest in the game with their nice eye candy, and features, and all that gibberish, LOL.

I looked first through the GameSpy review, then Gamespot's review, and then IGN's review. They all said the controls were clunky, and whatever else Mauser said.

I actually thought this game would rock LOL. Well, people would say I should've played the game before actually doing anything else but... umm... 1. Computer can't handle it, 2. Got no money. Should've given you links to the reviews Mauser, my bad.

Well, everyone has their bad days, heh.

Chris
Old 05-12-2007, 02:14 AM

While i was out at the plaza today i saw ArmA at big W. Sure the blurb and screenshots on the back look inviting, hell, even the minimum system specs look good. But yeah, not a game on my list.
Old 05-12-2007, 03:24 AM

best-buy doesnt even recognize it as a new release

Intel Q9300 Quad~2.5Ghz
PALIT GTX570
4GB Patriot DDR3 1333mhz
Intel BOXDX48BT2 X48
Old 05-12-2007, 04:18 PM

there is this mission im on now that pisses me off to no end.

it is where ya have to go in and destry some armor in the nite, well they give ya 3 rockets and a satchel charge and they wont let ya rearm or use anything else but those rockets and charge.

the guy who designed this game must have been a misserable ass controll freak that wanted every1 to be miserable too.

ya cant blow up the tanks with the 1 satchel, ya cant jump in the tank and blow them like i was gona do, the sorry bastards disabled the option to use the tank, and if ya use the rocket the second ya fire it ya get cut down no matter where ya are, so ya cant blow them all with the rockets ither.

i tried to blow 1 with a rocket and run to another position and blow another, but if ya are on the m136 launcher ya cant run ya cant prone, i mean what the hell?

and he cant do anything while he is reloading it so he dies.

and it doesnt matter if ya use the satchel ither fer like i said ya can only get 1 tank and they can find ya or rather they know where ya are even when ya use the remote detonator at 500m, how the hell, do they like triangleate your ass with gps satalite systems or something using the radio signal?

and ya silenced or suposably silenced rifle isnt, dont trust it, ya fire 1 shot and even when at 200m they still know where you are.

i have tried like hell to get thru it but i cant rearm cant blow anything with the rokets without getting killed and cant take them out woth the single satchel, its a load of crap is what it is, the guy who designed the loadouts and such must have been stoned at the time and the gy who did the sniper rifles must have played me on DFLW fer he killed the entire system.

im used to playing real people , and some military on these games and do quiet well most of the time, but what i have seen from this game is a load of poo.

dont figure ill buy anymore games made after 2002.

and the refund thing is crap too, the place whnere i bought it says that they wont do 1 on cd/ dvd/ games, i bout punched the manager, sooooooo, im stuck with it.

maby later on i can get something to decrypt the game files s o i can do a little modding to make it better.

Last edited by Mauser 98K; 05-12-2007 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:40 PM

Dang, that sucks.

Remember in the PM I sent you ages ago telling you that you may need the update if you find the game to be buggy and all, etc? Too bad it's about 466.35mb.

I remember when I first played OFP I hated it, but I got used to it. Remember when you bought BF2 and you hated it to bits? I have a feeling you'll get used to ArmA eventually...

A lot of people seem to have liked ArmA a little bit better when it's updated, but I dunno.

**1.05 Highlights**

====Gameplay====
* grass is now simulated for AI and multiplayer (including largerd view distances)
* STOVL support
* improved 3D irong sights
* improved satchel simulation (including detection of player and AI usage)

====Campaign====
* various improvements and bug fixes across all campaign missions

====UI====
* overall polish and streamline of menus
* new modern GPS device enabled for some vehicles and situations
* satellite texture can be displayed in the main map

====Controls====
* improved stability of helicopters (jaw now does not affect bank)
* extended support for keyboard shortcuts (you can toggle by holding any key and press second key together)

====AI====
* general AI tweak and improvements
* more realistic AI target detection

====Multiplayer====
* improved MP browser
* improved voice over net (you can hear enemy talking, direct channel is enabled)

====Compatibility====
* all versions possible to upgrade to 1.05 level
* English subtitles enabled for Czech and German versions

===How to use STOVL===
Harrier (AV8B) can now perform Short takeoff and vertical landing (STOVL).
It is controled with "Autohover ON/OFF" action.
When activated, there is no such autopilot for slowdown that helicopters use.
Thrust vector is just rotated downwards. Q/Z keys control only airplane speed.
There are no keys for control over vertical thrust,
so it is not possible to hover up/down like in helicopter.
Takeoff procedure:
- activate Autohover
- extend full flaps (2x crtl+K)
- gain some speed by holding Q for a short while and then release it.
- once in the air, retract gear (crtl+G)
- hold Q a little longer until you move fast enough
- retract flaps as you build more speed (2x ctrl+L)
- at aprox. 180kmph toggle autohover off and control flight as regular aircraft
Landing procedure:
- reduce speed and altitude same way as during conventional landing
- extend full flaps (2x crtl+K), drop gear (crtl+G)
- hold Z to reduce speed
- at aprox 180 kmph activate Autohover
- pitch nose up to reduce speed, check speed, height and flight path vector indicated on HUD
- hold Z for descent at aprox 2.5 m/s
- at touchdown toggle autohover off

**Version 1.04**

* AI pathfinding improvements
* AI combat improvements
* Several dedicated server stability issues fixed
* Terrain Detail Very Low disables grass rendering
* LOD blending on vegetation for smoother visual transition
* new content: Su-34 Fighter and Su-34 Bomber, TT650 and M1030 military motorcycles, AKS74PSO, KSVK, M107 and M16A4

**Version 1.02**

* Dedicated server related improvements
* Netcode optimizations
* Helicopter controls reworked

**Version 1.01**

*Significantly improved general performance of the German version
*Improved performance on shading detail and texture detail very low
*Optimized grass implementation
*Fixed bug in texture management: All textures could have been thrown away under certain conditions
*Some crash opportunities in multiplayer fixed.
*Crash when out of videomemory fixed
*Removed function exportLandscapeXYZ
*Pathfinding improvements
*Combat reaction improvements
*Dedicated server related improvements
*Improved missions endings in various conditions
*Fixed mission duration info

Full version history can be found at http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/A...ersion_History

Chris
Old 05-12-2007, 08:39 PM

"You have a feeling" lol not likely. Mauser's the only one here who can decide whether or not he'll keep playing the game.

Now that ive seen someone's opinion on the game first hand, it doesnt sound to enticing. ArmA sounds overhyped, almost like C&C 3. All they have to say is "made by the creators of Operation Flashpoint!" and people will come hording in.

BUT...the game does sound a tad bit like OFP. Like teh fact that you cant move while reloading. Well thats the only part of it...hearing a suppressed weapon at 200m? Finding the saboteur at 500m after detonation? Always knowing where you are? God that sounds awful. Unfair almost. Makes you wonder why they didnt pick this stuff up in the testing phases...
Old 05-12-2007, 10:18 PM

In the reviews nothing really good was said about the AI. And when I mean the AI ''ain't good'', I don't mean the game has the type of dumb AI DF has, I actually mean the AI is just exaggerated.

As said in one of the reviews, if you hide in full cover and have something sticking out such as your earlobe or whatever, the enemy can see it from 200m+ away! That's just plain stupid...

So what I've seen bad in the reviews are that the missions are just awful hard, the controls are just clunky, and the overall realism (if you get what I mean). Well, sometimes it's kinda bad to have things too realistic. And if I can remember rightly, in an ArmA interview with Marek Spanel or whatever, he even said that at the end of the day, it's just a game, and they also want things fun, and not too realistic. I guess they didn't promise that...

And BTW, in OFP, there was also missions where you had to go in and blow stuff up in the night. You were a Black Op, and you didn't have a damn rocket launcher, but you did have three satchels. If there was a whole row of tanks, one satchel would be able to take out usually three tanks or so. I dunno about ArmA, but in OFP, you were able to set a 30sec timer on the satchel, or touch it off. It was actually fun! Once, when I had to blow three Shilkas up, I layed a satchel near every Shilka, but unfortunately, I couldn't touch one off (because I was too far away?). Well, since I couldn't detonate this one satchel, I put on the 30sec timer on it and ran for my ass! Yep, freaky times.

Chris

Last edited by Chrispy; 05-12-2007 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:56 PM

well the AI plays just like tose in OFP, they not too bad, can do some amazing things lol.

but i got thru that mission that i was supposed to blow the tanks.

the way i had to do it was, i searched and found a couple of small enemy camps and raided them, there were some pallets of ammo and other things there so i got the satchels i needed and a semiauto rifle with a scope on it, i took out the soldiers at long range at the main camp at 500m put and then just walked into town and blew up the tanks.
took some thought to beat it.

soo now i think i know what the designer had in mind, ya cant just do like every other game and just compleat the mission, ya have to adapt , improvise, if ya dont have the equipment kill some1 and get the equipment.

still dont like that they dont give me a real choice of weapons at loadout screen.

they did have 1 mission i really like, it is a sniper mission, ya hide out in the boonies next to a hotel and then ya assisinate the general in front of his soldiers, i gotem with 1 shot at 450m while he was walking, the enemy soldiers went ape****, lol.
i choose the druganove fer it has a range finder type recticle like the scope i have.

its not to terrable once i get the gameplay right and stop trying to play it like delta force, lol, it can just get a little time consuming, it took the better part of an hour to beat the blow up the tanks mission.

i kondof like it now that i figured it out and know now that ya have to plan it out while ingame, its like the real world, plan A never survives 1st contact with reality, soo ya adapt and improvise a new plan.

Last edited by Mauser 98K; 05-14-2007 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:35 PM

thats why i never trust anyone elses opinions.

except ign, the way we think, its as if they're my clones or something

Intel Q9300 Quad~2.5Ghz
PALIT GTX570
4GB Patriot DDR3 1333mhz
Intel BOXDX48BT2 X48
Old 05-14-2007, 11:51 PM

^^ lol

I can easily relate to you Mauser. That mission i went through that lasted 3 hours didnt exactly end in one go. I must've died 20 times during it. Two times i died while trying to escape the besieged town. I went one way to investigate the convoy ambush but got attacked by a T72 that lunged at us from literally nowhere. The second time i tried to escape (instead of reconing) the other way. I loaded up my team in a truck and off we went, only to get pulverised by yet another T72.

So now i know there isnt an easy way out. So i waited around trying to come up with a way to win. The enemy launched a few attacks against us, we repulsed them (i died some more, lost some men) and waited for dark, seeing is that may be my only way of getting out.

The radio said a boat was coming to evacuate us. It came, i rallied the troops at the shore and we all got in...and sat there staring at each other for 5 minutes. Damn waypoints were bugged. So we got out and headed back to our positions and waited for dark again.

Dark came at last and we all got ready to evacuate (you should have seen it it was damn awesome! Almost real! We were sneaking around in the dark, jumping from one point to another, scanning the horizon etc). Then we made our escape, heading for the next forest. A T72 appears out of nowhere. "Hit the dirt!" we all dove to the ground and watched silently as the tank drove on to the town and started randomly blowing stuff up. It even blew up the boat that had come to pick us up lol!

So we ran 5 kilometres across the island, evading patrols, straying into a tank battle before the mission was finally over. And during all this, never did we have NVGs during the escape. I didnt lose anyone during the escape, and nor were we spotted (except for that massive tank battle from nowhere - though i doubt we triggered it).

It was a scary mission, but lifelike. I must've been sittin in that chair for 3 hours playing it. It was awesome. Best ever.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:25 AM

Glad to hear you're starting to like it Mauser. Remember when you made a big rant about BF2 LOL? And then eventually you got it back? I knew you wouldn't leave ArmA, lol. ArmA is real different from DF, so it takes sh*tloads of time getting used to.

I remember on this mission (when I was about 10 years old or so), we had to seize Montignac, and unfortunately, I damn failed. So onto the next mission, we were in the forest, and had to basically get to the alternate evac. point (because NATO were evacuating from Everon). And the mission was an ass.

In front of you, you would see Morton. Morton is the small village where ''NATO evacuated''. Then it was seized by enemy Huskies. I was trying to get to the evac. point from all points. I was definitely outnumbered, and I was by myself too. So that sucked... yep, it did suck...

Finally, after a hundred tries, I finally sneaked around the shore area proning in the water past Morton (I tried that many times but finally this time worked). And I was being fired at, no sheet. I finally made it! Then, I made a total run for my ass. I made the time 4000x faster and sprinted all the way to the forest that held this alternate evacuation point. Then, I took some caution... and caution... and caution... then headed to the evac. point...

Probably one of the hardest missions I did... The last mission was the biggest killer though, and you don't wanna know jack all about that.

Chris