Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Computers > Hardware and Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Hardware and Software Discuss hardware, software and security related stuff

Old 12-02-2011, 05:14 PM
Trooper is offline Trooper

Best Anti Virus / Anti Malware Software ?

What is the best to have ? what do you use and why ? also if you have a link for a download that helps.
Torrents accepted

I *Used* AVG it was a free download but it felt as if it didn't really do much
AVG 2012(FREE EDITION)
http://download.cnet.com/avg-anti-vi...-10320142.html
Old 12-02-2011, 08:24 PM
Guest001 is offline Guest001

AVG is good
I like Avast! The free version is good the pay for version is superior and cheap and has a community based system that stays miles ahead of the other aloof and smug companies out there
Old 12-03-2011, 01:32 AM

so you use AVG?
Old 12-03-2011, 02:22 AM
SilentTrigger is offline SilentTrigger
-1PARA-

Nod32

www.Nod32.com

My photography website

Old 12-03-2011, 05:23 AM

Avast! me hearties!!!
Old 12-03-2011, 11:38 AM
-1PARA-

He you go after testresults its nod32 that's top of the industry whith least false positives and most found viruses and usually in its own scoring a lot higher then the runner up

but its not free and avast usually scores up in the top

My photography website

Old 12-03-2011, 01:14 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

I setup everyone with NOD32 at work, it's been working great for 5+ years with zero virsus. I use Microsoft Security Essentials at home and on every home computer I build. It also works good. Neither of them slow down the computer.

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 12-04-2011, 09:28 AM
atholon is offline atholon
"ath-hole"

Send a message via MSN to atholon
I use Microsoft Security Essentials but it seems to miss a lot of viruses. I haven't been infected on my home machine but I've seen a lot of cases on other people's computers who have it and are infected.
Evidently M$ has an enterprise version of Security Essentials called Microsoft ForeFront. We're looking into it at work since it can manage updates and other things from a central server.
I hear Kapersky is a pretty decent AV. Think Norton and Symantec cause more problems than they are worth.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:02 AM

The biggest advantage is speed of response in updating definitions,
with an easily accessible, diligent admin and reporting via a community base.
I've used MSSE since it was OneCare and updates were on an average of 2-3 Days to a week, many others are once or more per Day, even on weekends.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompem View Post
The biggest advantage is speed of response in updating definitions,
with an easily accessible, diligent admin and reporting via a community base.
I've used MSSE since it was OneCare and updates were on an average of 2-3 Days to a week, many others are once or more per Day, even on weekends.
makes me think its worth getting msse over avg? or..... and this has turnt out into a good lil topic , u r 1 knowledgable guy lol stomp
Old 12-05-2011, 10:32 AM
atholon is offline atholon
"ath-hole"

Send a message via MSN to atholon
AVG has turned into Norton, a slow, system resource leach.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:41 AM
-1PARA-

Updates isn't everything, a good anti virus is able to understand programming code of programs and are able to determine what is a virus or not even if it's not in the database.

My photography website

Old 12-05-2011, 06:26 PM

Yes that is Heuristic analysis and I am assuming that they have that capability as a minimum base line parameter along with code emulation and link tracking.

If you do your banking or shopping on-line, or other security-sensitive and financial transactions, you can be sure that your personal data cannot be monitored by spyware or key-logging software if you use a sandbox (Virtualisation and Emulation utilised to create a virtual browsing environment on your desktop) no need for a full blown OS in a virtual machine.

Last edited by Guest001; 12-06-2011 at 03:51 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:35 PM

A Norwegian graduate student reckons his new antivirus program which can detect unknown viruses is thirty times faster than rival systems developed by the team at Massachusetts Institute of Technology. The studen's software can also effectively detect attacks by unknown computer viruses. The press release from the Research Council of Norway claims that no previous software can detect unknown viruses, but I’m pretty sure that’s not the case. The antivirus companies have been using heuristic algorithms to spot virus characteristics in suspect files for years, albeit with nowhere near 100% accuracy.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:37 PM

Buffer Overflow is an unfortunate programming error. Within a computer’s internal memory are a series of containers called buffers. When running a program that communicates over the Internet, such as a web browser, the technology functions so that the contents in the buffers of the network server are transferred to the buffers in the computer.

One example is when a password is entered on a web page. The password is stored in its own buffer on the local computer. Consider, for example, that this buffer could only have enough space for eight characters. If the programr forgets to check the buffer size, the buffer runs over if someone enters more than eight characters.

Unfortunately, not all programrs are aware of this. If those who write software have not included a routine that checks if enough room exists in the buffer, the areas that are physically next to the buffer will be overwritten. This is extremely regrettable. The computer gives no warning and continues to run as if nothing has happened.

Unfortunately, the overwritten areas can hold important instructions for the software that’s running, such as “Please provide an overview of all my documents”.

This is exactly the type of weakness that virus creators exploit. They can make a virus that sends a larger data packet than the computer’s buffer capacity. If the hacker discovers exactly where the most important instructions are located, the virus can be programd so that it overwrites these instructions with completely different commands, such as “Delete all of my documents now”. And then the user is out of luck.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:41 AM

stompem u either love computers or u work with them whats the anser lol ?
Old 12-06-2011, 04:16 PM

Neither, I've got a love hate relationship going, and I have learnt through necessity.
I started in the year 2000 when I was 40 years old, not with windows but with DOS to find the underlying processes. slowly slowly.
Now I can build systems and fix most windows glitches.
I hate doing things I don't understand but always have a go. Well used to, getting on now.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:28 PM

PS. If you want to know something,
Google it! It's most likely already been asked and is out there some where.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:46 AM

AVG 2012 is a pile of crap ... good software but its slowed my internet loading times up so much ...it takes like 1minite to open the explorer !!!! and it takes forever to uninstall so im still stuck with it.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:42 PM

Avast! me hearties Avast!