FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Hardware and Software Discuss hardware, software and security related stuff

Old 12-01-2005, 03:40 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
Post Finally crossed over! (almost)

no i aint outta the closet, i got a TFT screen

mainly for my eye's sake, although i dont suffer from headaches from CRT monitors like others do.

i was concerned about ghosting / blurring is games, and that would force me to use a dual monitor setup. but i really cannot see any ghosting at all, i'm amazed even though its a 4ms panel, i thought it would be noticeable still.

well i'm pretty much happy, the viewing anges are annoying a bit and because the pixels are a tiny big bigger (this 19" tft has a much bigger screen than a 19" CRT), you see things differently especially web gfx, jpg/gif compression is very noticeable because everything is clear and sharp :/ but in games this is a big bonus.

so all is well, but i'm tempted to go dual monitor seup anyway, with the ammount of stuff i do , it will be useful.

will post up a review later on.

official stuff:

Samsung SM-930BF 19" LCD Monitor - Silver/Black
Sleek and minimalist the dynamic lines of the SM930BF brings you adaptable, versatile working, while a market leading 4ms response time makes this monitor perfect for gaming and watching multimedia content. Combine this with both analogue and digital inputs and you have the ideal solution for work or play

- 1280 x 1024 Optimum Resolution
- 700:1 Contrast Ratio
- Viewing Angle 160° horizontal, 160° vertical
- 4ms Response Time
- 270 cd/m2 Brightness
- One Analogue Input
- One DVI-D Input
Old 12-01-2005, 04:12 AM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

$$?

Been thinking about a decent lcd for awhile even though I hate the fact that they cost more, i just bought a new crt 6 months ago, and it would look weird on my huge desk. but it would be nice to be able to move the damn thing around unlike with mine atm, 19" CRT weighing in at like 200lbs.

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 12-01-2005, 04:19 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

it was ~ £250, and the best of the 4ms panels available at the moment, which makes it arguably the best gaming tft at the moment to.

the TN panel screens (Samsung, Hyundai + some others (actually use the same panel but put together by diff company)) are the cheapest type, but have the fastest response times, so they are perfect for me.

weird thing is, they keep bringing out new screens that are better, but they are also cheaper than the previous generation

my housemate bought a Hyundai screen about 6 months ago when 8ms first came out. it was £400+ :/ so the price drop has been crazy.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:47 AM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

That's prolly around ~$300 usd so that's not bad for a 19" as I think I payed around $215 for my 19" crt 6 months ago(retail tho)

I guess I haven't looked around online lately. At my local best buy the other day before I discoverd I could just use a KVM unit, I was looking for a cheap LCD for the server computer so I didn't have to keep changing the plugs and moving the server around, the LCD's were still pretty spendy.. 15" were still around $200+ for the cheapest models..

But thoes were LCD, are they the same as TFT or diffrent?

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 12-01-2005, 04:53 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

same thing pretty much. probably technically different but they are more generic terms these days i think.

from what i see, Americans generally use the term LCD and hardly use TFT but yeah i mean the same thing.

the big difference is the type of panel they use, and it affects the price in a big way. it seems weird that slow response panels area lot more costly, but they often have better colour reproduction and better viewing angles. same as everything in life tho, cant have it all hehe