Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Gaming Talk
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Gaming Talk Post all your game related stuff here. This includes PC, Console, Handhelds etc.

Old 02-29-2024, 11:18 AM
Oscarmike247 is offline Oscarmike247

Crazy Ballistics Simulation

I'm mainly posting this for Baldo because I knew he would especially appreciate this. haha

We've had simulated ballistics in games, but nothing this detailed. That's insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgZN81FP_GQ
Old 03-01-2024, 04:09 AM
Baldo_the_Don is offline Baldo_the_Don

Every now and then, I feel an urge to zoom back out, y'know, pull back to a view point and angle with less focus and more breadth, not because I think recalibration is necessary, but to see if I should think recalibration is necessary.

Gray Zone Warfare looks like it's not going to skimp on any details. At all. And the tiny worry I feel nagging at the back of my mind is this:

War is really not fun. How realistically can a game simulate warfare before the simulation becomes really not fun?

I don't know, but the devs on GZW look like they going push it as far as possible.

And the surprising thing to me is, watching Arma, DayZ, and Escape from Tarkov videos, it's not the weapons, environments, and physics that fill me with dread, it's watching players doing horrible things to other people, both real players and NPCs.

But, then again, there are the times when a good player finds a newb getting pounded by a squad of scumbags, and casts a light over the newb, and they team up and send the scumbags back to the lobby. That's so uplifting.

Is that what we're really going for? Trying to forge foxhole friendships without involving actual artillery? Must the peril people find themselves in be mortal to make the connections they build with each other strong?

Can love survive free will when there's profit to rack up and a leaderboard to climb?

Maybe the detail of the war simulation is not a factor. Ballistics and physics and gore and gameplay aren't the evil to be feared. Maybe the true horror of war and war gaming is the condition of the human souls going into and coming out of them.

Kind of feels like I'm saying, "Don't hate the game, hate the player." I think I'm really saying, "Don't worry about the game, worry about the player."

Yeah, that reads like a decent ramble.

Last edited by Baldo_the_Don; 03-02-2024 at 04:01 AM.