Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

Old 09-16-2005, 10:18 AM
Trojan is offline Trojan
honest toil

Send a message via ICQ to Trojan Send a message via AIM to Trojan Send a message via Yahoo to Trojan
Early Immigration to the Americas!

Early Immigration to the Americas!

Origin Displayed: English

Spelling variations include: Beadell, Beadle, Beadles, Beedle, Beedell, Bedle and others.

In 18th and early 19th century records, I have also found the name Beadles spelled as Beagles.

Origin of the surname BEDEL and variants:

(Brief Etymology)

* from Old English bydel
* Middle English form is bedele
* Today's English forms are beadle, bedel, bedell

Some Definitions of the Name:

Earliest meaning was probably the "town-crier"; one who went through the streets making announcements

Later, the word meant an assistant to a bailiff or a sheriff, and then an officer executing orders of a magistrate.

Beadles were frequently used by Shakespeare in plays.

Bedells and Bedels are the term for those who appear lead the university dignitaries in academic processions. In modern times, the old English Universities [founded in the 12th Century], spell the titles differently: Oxford uses Bedel and Cambridge uses Bedell.

beadle - current definition [from American Heritage Dictionary, by Houghton Mifflin Company] A minor parish official in an English church whose duties include keeping order and ushering during services.

Early Users of the Beadle Name

* Brictmarus Bedel, year 1066
* Richard Budel, year 1148
* Robert le Budel, year 1327
* Richard Bedle, year 1541
* John Biddle, year 1655
* William Beadle, 1664

Early Immigration to the North America:

Some of the first of the name to reach the USA [nearly 180 years before it was the USA] were John and Gabriel Beadle who came to the New World in 1608 as part of the Virginia Company's "Second Supply" under Captain John Smith. They accompanied him on his voyage of exploration along the New England coast. Their sister, Dorothy, married second Roger Wingate of London, who became Treasurer to the Colony. [Ref provided by Betty Ralph:The Journal of Heraldic and Genealogical Studies published in Northgate, Canterbury, Kent England, Vol. 14, New Series 90, January 1988]

Some of the first settlers of this name or some of its variants were: John Beadle who settled in the Barbados in 1634; John and Gabriel Beadle, who settled in Virginia in 1608; twelve years before the "Mayflower"; Philip and Robert Beadle settled in Virginia in 1653.

Thought you may find this interesting. I am a Beadles. First found in Yorkshire, where we held a family seat from ancient times... .-troj

••• 26th MEUSOC 940311 93-95MySpace •••

Last edited by Trojan; 09-16-2005 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:17 PM
Jeff is offline Jeff

Send a message via AIM to Jeff
Did you post this a month or so ago?
Anyways... cool stuff.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:21 PM
Trojan is offline Trojan
honest toil

Send a message via ICQ to Trojan Send a message via AIM to Trojan Send a message via Yahoo to Trojan
I posted something similar in the spam section a long time ago but I had some new information so I posted here. Was kind of hoping some of you would look up your info and reply. I find it interesting.

Old 09-16-2005, 02:38 PM
Jeff is offline Jeff

I'll have a look see what i can find. We're doing something like this in school so i might just do it for the project then post it up here.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:49 PM
Lucky is offline Lucky

awsome.. my original name is grasch, and it always was, my grandma said that was her name in scandiava (if thats how u spell it)
Old 09-16-2005, 04:00 PM
Trojan is offline Trojan
honest toil

My Dads 'fathers(1911-2001)' grand mother was full blooded Sioux.

Both my father and myself have many Native Relics and Spiritual nick nacks. We have bon fires and fmaily gatherings all the time. We have a special feeling and sense about things.

Old 09-16-2005, 04:50 PM
Jeff is offline Jeff

Quote:
Originally posted by Living
awsome.. my original name is grasch, and it always was, my grandma said that was her name in scandiava (if thats how u spell it)
Scandinavia
Old 09-16-2005, 04:58 PM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
Troj thats some good reading.

i have some old Butterfield Family clan photo's going back to the later 17s maybe early 1800s.

i see if i can scan them in this week.

story has about this photo is they was Mormon back them days, thanks god i not. my father side of the family would you know it all crackpots going west in a wagon train.
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]
Old 09-16-2005, 06:12 PM
Chief ADFP

my family has a coat of arms too, been 3-4yrs i seen it, its hanging up in one of the queen castle.

the city i live in is name after "Lake" name came from a English canonize in Florida early 1700s i think read about it. it was when U.K rule Florida the name stuck never been change. its funny you said that? it hit me, i read a history book on lake city Fl USA. were it was name after a Mr Lake that was about 2yrs all go. can't remember the name of the book. or the full name of the person it was name after.

Arms: Gules, a griffin passant argent.
Crest: Out of a ducal coronet, or a dragon's head, wings elevated vert.

my grand mother use to tell me about the family arms and she even seen it in person hanging in the U.K she long been gone from this world we live in now.

can't remember if the arms had a motto or not? think it did not have a motto but then again i really can't recall it to much.

you know something BB/Mike if the U.K ask me to join and fight for the queen and country i would why i have a lot of good mates over there, i be glade to fight side by side with you all.

you can leave a country but it is in the family blood, that you can't take out. (Bloodline)

by the way this is my mother side of her family:

Belford, where they were seated from very ancient times, some Belford Armorial say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke History with Coat of William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.

John Belford who settled in the Barbados with his servants in 1680; James Belford settled in West New Jersey in 1771; George and James Belford settled in Philadelphia Pa. in 1840.

Last edited by Hellfighter; 09-16-2005 at 09:36 PM.
Old 09-17-2005, 05:40 AM
BADDOG is offline BADDOG
resigned

Smile

This is absolutely fascinating stuff Troj!!!!

Warmest Regards
Old 09-17-2005, 08:57 AM
Lucky is offline Lucky

where did you find this?
like the w/s?
Old 09-17-2005, 01:18 PM
Chief ADFP

Quote:
Originally posted by Living
where did you find this?
like the w/s?
coats of arms or the family history.

i listing to my family till tails, and some times i search or lookup in history on the family name.

i do have to say i was shock to see how fare back Belford gone into History. 1600s

Search Google type in your last name in like "Blackbird arms" or "Blackbird record" i would like to be able to search in the coat of arms see what these family names did in the pass if they was in any way or who they serve for like King Herny or any other. the bad and the good.
Old 09-17-2005, 06:45 PM
Lakie is offline Lakie

the images chief posted can be found at www.houseofnames.com just plug your surname into the top left search box.

But be aware that they are somewhat unfaithfull to the original because they are a modern drawing, if you look at chiefs post above where he has mine and his in the same post, youll notice that the knights helmet is exactly the same as is the red and white floral outlay...
Old 09-17-2005, 07:01 PM
SilentTrigger is offline SilentTrigger
-1PARA-

Well my name is Källberg and i don't know a heck of a lot about it, its apaerntly blue blooded name atleast, don't know much more then that. My grandmother played tennis with the king, who was aparently gay (not that it matters just something i came to think of, and note its not the parent king just for reference)

My mothers name is Mikko and is of an old family land name.

My photography website

Old 09-22-2005, 10:32 AM
Trojan is offline Trojan
honest toil

Cool info guys! Thanks for sharing. I find it important to know. My info personally makes me proud to be. Who was Christopher Columbus anyway? heh

Old 09-22-2005, 11:46 AM
-1PARA-

Yeah i want to know too, but my fathers side is hard as my grandmother was adopted.

And i have intended to aquire the information my aunts has allready gathered, but its almost 1300 miles between us, and they dont seem keen on sending it for some odd reason. Feels bad when my cusins husband knows more about my history then i do

I thing that i either have Austrian or Bulgarian decent. From the craftmen that imigrated to Sweden in the 1600s, and im probebly a bit vikingly too from my mothers father. These people was a big part of the Swedish industrial revulotion.

My mothers fathers ancester founded the town Korpilombolo (this is where Mikko later emerged i think).

My photography website

Last edited by SilentTrigger; 09-22-2005 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:51 PM
Trojan is offline Trojan
honest toil

Coolio! That would be kinda cool to have come from Vikings, heh. Argh! Oh wait, that's what a Pirate says, hehe.

Old 09-22-2005, 01:46 PM
-1PARA-

Yeah, I need to see if something like that was said by the vikings (well would be hards to check) Tor is a good word, they probebly said that alot! hehe

My photography website

Old 09-22-2005, 05:11 PM
Trojan is offline Trojan
honest toil

hehe, would have been a hard life for sure.

Old 09-23-2005, 07:38 AM
-1PARA-

Well eat a pig that was back on its feet the next day sounds quite good! Yeah i know it was the gods that did that by the big wooden tabel hehe But it would be cool to have a pig each that went back to live after you had eaten it.

And taking over parts of ruassia isnt bad either. Did you know that many of the older russian words come from the vikings?

My photography website