Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Joint Operations
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Joint Operations Anything about the Joint Operations series of games.

Old 10-09-2004, 02:07 AM
NitroViper is offline NitroViper

Send a message via ICQ to NitroViper
Map Ratings

wow I'm starting to wonder what you guys judge your maps on lol.

the more realistic i make a map the lower rank it gets. it seems to me if i made a huge globe in the sky with buildings sticking out of it and u could jump from one to another it would get a 5

my ghost marsh map has been rated very well on other sites, and many ppl's favorite map, and you guys gave it a 3 lol.

i dunno but it seems to be a trend in your guys map ratings, just thought i would let you know, because ppl are missing out on some great maps that don't rate well.

anyway, your should let the users vote, like DFB, votes are an average and not branded with a NHQ ranking when theres plenty great maps that get low rates.

Others can stop you temporarily, only you can do it permanently.
www.s3squad.com
NítrøVípér«§³»
Old 10-09-2004, 02:44 AM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

We have explained many times that uses should not download maps for what we rate them, since most of our staff are very busy now, and the lack of people willing to help in the past, all the submitted maps are rated by screenshot only. It's kinda like an estimate, sure we could be wrong but we also let users rate and add comments about maps, been a few months since we started that since we no longer review them.. Click on 'A closer look' under the map.

Maybe we can add the users rating to the mapdb next to our general rating. How does that sound?

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 10-09-2004, 03:05 AM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
fog is too solid thats all, change it some lighting it up and maybe add color to it like Smokey green color be cool.

you know you can have fog as a dark color instead of solid color this way it be hard for snipers too. making it too solid can kill it too.

i gave it a 4. if i could seen a bet more i would gave it a 5. fog was too solid for me. dark green or some dark color like Smokey black be cool but not solid gray only. and not so thick thin it out some only a small amount would be great.

Good sample fog color: 119 136 81

SS of it:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg smokeygreen.jpg (10.7 KB, 24 views)
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]

Last edited by Hellfighter; 10-09-2004 at 10:16 PM.
Old 10-09-2004, 05:18 AM
Storm. is offline Storm.

hey man just cuz its rated good on 1 site dusnt mean its gonna be like that on every site, sum ppl prefer different things, and give different ratings, dont sweat it m8.... just keep making them , eventually u will get featured map or sumthin

England 3 Hungary 1
Old 10-09-2004, 12:21 PM

rated by the screenshot... wow lol

something about that just isn't right, ppl put alot of time into maps, small details count for nothing when its rated by the screenshot.

i understand your busy, and don't have time to go thru every map. alot of ppl spend countless hours making every little thing in the map perfect. i personally count on the rating to see where my maps stand.

if i was running the map database hear and didn't have time to thoroughly go thru ppl's maps for ratings, i would leave it up to the community to test the maps and rate them. instead of permanently leaving a rate by the screenshot, i feel like i been robbed of alot of hours because alot of ppl just look at the rating and download the maps.

and i have had featured maps b4, i have also won map making contests, as well as prizes for my maps, so i know my maps are quality.

it seems funny to me that the featured maps here are all made by ux* especially when they are rated by the screenshot....

and for the fog, it was meant to be that thick, it's a cqb map only, no snipers. the map is for slower sneaky action, sort of spooky because u never know whats coming. about the fog color, it feels more realistic this way, have you ever seen green fog? lol.

www.s3squad.com
NítrøVípér«§³»
Old 10-09-2004, 01:58 PM
jugo.s3. is offline jugo.s3.

Before I point out something here, let me tell you Nitro...Green Fog...It DOES exist...Parris Islan...4:15 AM Mid October.....BWT....West Swamp....Green as the moss in the water.

Any way:

Quoted from yout Map Ratings Link:
Quote:
5 star map. This map was well built and took a long time. The objects are well in place. It has custom objects and great atmosphere.
How could you EVER know this from a screenshot?!?!?!?!?

I requested to join your staff a while back and someone told me there weren't any open positions....hmmmm.....map tester would have been one if you ask me.

I seriously thing you guys should either use the User Ratings or NO RATINGS at all unless you get a Map Testing Staff.

Alot of ppl put alot of weight on the DF community, and you guys have placed yourselves and this site at a position to represent the DF community.

I hope you guys realize that. I'm on S3 so this may be influenced BUT I think the map IS definitely a great map. Although I agree the fog COULD be a little bit greener (since it is a swamp map and all).

Shoot all you want.....I'll CODE you to death!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
01101010 01110101 01100111 01101111 00101110 01110011 00110011 00101110
Old 10-09-2004, 04:21 PM
Chief ADFP

NitroViper
i was in the US-Army we train in the swamps for weeks on end in south east USA to Korea to PANAMA in South America were the fog is a Smokey green in color what makes it a green color if the foliage in the area. who ever heard of Smokey gray FOG not me unless you use a smoke generate of some type yes. go to any swamp area in late at night or Early in the morning. its never pure solid gray in color.

Green to brown to black these are the nature color, gray is not one of them. even moon light hitting the fog can make it a Smokey brown/yellowish in color even. only time i can see it gray/white is med-day (with sun light hitting it, but you is at night time not day time). heck a wild fire running wild can make gray smoke (Smoke from a wild fire can look like a heavy fog) with a a bet fire in it floating around in the air.

I remember i made a map for DF2 long time all go it was a warehouse city type i use bloody red-black (Blood-red) you only had up close fighting only do to it was too deep red to fight from away as a sniper deep color can block it out scope sites not having to make the fog really thick to hard to see up close.

the rating work like this some one tell you what they think will make it better try it and see if more like it even better it only take 1-3min to update the fog, its not hard at all. you like to get better rating yes? i know i do my maps 3ea i made all got 4-5 stars at DFB and i update when some one says what they thnk would make it better. i for one do love swampy maps and i do make them to i retire from making maps for now 3yrs now.

i even had a lot ask me to make more of them for them, i mainly do 4 way team matchs type swampy maps big scale. 4 teams or squads going at it. at same time.

Last edited by Hellfighter; 10-09-2004 at 04:32 PM.
Old 10-09-2004, 06:20 PM
-Tigger- is offline -Tigger-
BB

Quote:
Originally posted by jugo.s3.

How could you EVER know this from a screenshot?!?!?!?!?

I requested to join your staff a while back and someone told me there weren't any open positions....hmmmm.....map tester would have been one if you ask me.

I seriously thing you guys should either use the User Ratings or NO RATINGS at all unless you get a Map Testing Staff.

Alot of ppl put alot of weight on the DF community, and you guys have placed yourselves and this site at a position to represent the DF community.

I hope you guys realize that. I'm on S3 so this may be influenced BUT I think the map IS definitely a great map. Although I agree the fog COULD be a little bit greener (since it is a swamp map and all).
There is a user rating , click the more details item and give it 5 stars all u want.

Ive made alot of maps and ratings dont matter weither its user or admin rated, whats the deal? Gameplay is whats important and been able to play a map and think "i made that".

Quote:
Originally posted by NitroViper
it seems funny to me that the featured maps here are all made by ux* especially when they are rated by the screenshot....
Over the summer (when most of the featured maps from UX were added) there was nearly 40maps made by me , and more from other members, at a time we were the only 1`s submitting.

And not all of the featured maps are UX.

remember ratings are not everything.

Last edited by -Tigger-; 10-09-2004 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-09-2004, 06:43 PM
Systemkaos is offline Systemkaos

Send a message via ICQ to Systemkaos
awwww someone(s) mad they didnt get what they want, awwwwww

by the way, IF I RAN THE SITE i wouldnt have you in the forums flamming stuff
Old 10-09-2004, 07:48 PM
jugo.s3. is offline jugo.s3.

Quote:
Originally posted by Systemkaos
awwww someone(s) mad they didnt get what they want, awwwwww

by the way, IF I RAN THE SITE i wouldnt have you in the forums flamming stuff
Dude you really feel that way???

Is it not a forum for people to express themselves and share their thoughts...and maybe even rant a little??

WOW...>Dude that's kinda disappointing coming from you.

Shoot all you want.....I'll CODE you to death!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
01101010 01110101 01100111 01101111 00101110 01110011 00110011 00101110
Old 10-09-2004, 09:06 PM

you call that flaming? lol its more like expressing an opinion.

if you think thats flaming, and you ran this site, you would have banned all your members already.

www.s3squad.com
NítrøVípér«§³»
Old 10-10-2004, 02:41 PM
zza1pqx is offline zza1pqx

Send a message via ICQ to zza1pqx Send a message via Yahoo to zza1pqx
Quote:
you call that flaming?
I think the term he used was flamming as in flim flam maybe.

Anyone that knows me knows I have been a NovaHQ customer and friend since before its official launch.
Im not certain it does exactly what I want it to do because of everything that Panther said. It takes a fair bit of work to run the place and so some aspects don't get the attention that other parts of the site do.
I am certain it was set up as the last word in DF map sites but all large communities evolve to one extent or another.

I had a bit of a sulk when my first Joint Ops map got a 4 Star, but at DFBarracks, their map reviewers seem to have stopped rating anything for the past month or so.

I think what NovaHQ needs is a comprehensive user voting system that supercedes an admins opinion of a screenshot.

Joint Ops as a product has not made it easy to rate maps anyway.
It is impossible to home serve a decent number of people and so if you want to show off, test or simply play your map you have to be in a position to own, admin or bend the ear of a server owner.
One wonders how an admin would rate a map properly without having 32+ players in it anyhow.

For my part I am releasing my maps at DFBarracks where there is a strong user rating system in place and where the mapping community is a little stronger. (I have about 5 times the downloads of my map there than here)

For our part as mappers and map consumers I would suggest taking a little bit of time to make NovaHQ what it is supposed to be, the place for mappers and map users to discuss and present our work. I would urge Panther when he gets chance to scrap the admin rating system in favour of a more visible user rating system too.

As it stand you will always be able to get my maps from NovaHQ as well as DF Barracks. Church of Destruction 2 plays on Frictions server as well as some others I have seen and is largley well recieved although intensive CQB is not everyones cup of tea and usually takes sniping helicopter pilots unpleasently by suprise.
Oh well tough luck to them.

Old 10-10-2004, 05:02 PM
EL_BASTARDO is offline EL_BASTARDO

I must admit Ive downloaded a map that was rated with 5 stars from here.........THE reason I downloaded it in the first place was the rating.....

When i went into it & had a look around virtually half the objects were sticking out of the ground in a stupid fashion...
you could enter buildings from underneath because they were so badly placed on a hillside....

It was blatantly clear that this was yet another of those maps that someone has just slung together in a bid to produce as many maps as they can in as short a space of time possible
To be perfectly honest it was abysmal & an insult to map makers.......AND YET it was 5 star rated

So, I believe the following should be deleted because there is no way it can possibly apply if a screenshot is all that is used for reviewing
Quote:
5 star map. This map was well built and took a long time. The objects are well in place. It has custom objects and great atmosphere.
I dont think that any rating should be used rather than one based on a screenie because all you would need for a 5 star map in that case is a screenshot taken from a decent angle, showing the only part of a sh1te map ! where the rest of it can be totally crap.....(as in the one I downloaded)
Old 10-11-2004, 10:19 AM
Chief ADFP

EL_BASTARDO you and other are right on the part you really can't make a rating on the base on Image or screen-shots of a map there has to be a map tester and the member best can handle this part it be more fair to all.

if you like to have map testers for this site i be glade to fill this area. Not map team ether "Map Tester" has to be bayous from out-side source. one fact i have all the games DF1/2/LW/TFD/BHD-TS and JOTR.

you can have a team call: "NovaHq.net testers" were they all do check out maps for error badly made and how great they are made up. or a cheaper way have the Novahq.net members score only.

Quote:
Originally posted by Panther
We have explained many times that uses should not download maps for what we rate them, since most of our staff are very busy now, and the lack of people willing to help in the past, all the submitted maps are rated by screenshot only. It's kinda like an estimate, sure we could be wrong but we also let users rate and add comments about maps, been a few months since we started that since we no longer review them.. Click on 'A closer look' under the map.

Maybe we can add the users rating to the mapdb next to our general rating. How does that sound?
==============??????????????????================

4 star map. This map is also great, it has the atmosphere, nicely placed objects, and was difficult to make.

3 star map. This is an average map, meaning we get a lot like it. That dose not mean the map is not good, well placed objects, ok atmosphere, but lacks a few things.

2 star map. This map anyone could have made. It has floating buildings and/or no atmosphere.

1 star map. This map lacks everything. There is no atmosphere and/or only a few objects, floating or badly placed.
===========================================
think every one should not look at the Staff rating system for the maps do to they looking at the image of it not see as it really is.

it is better to look at what other user rated as then the staff.

Last edited by Hellfighter; 10-11-2004 at 11:13 PM.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:09 AM
Genocidal~V*D~ is offline Genocidal~V*D~

Send a message via AIM to Genocidal~V*D~
Re: Map Ratings

Quote:

anyway, your should let the users vote, like DFB
i just had to laugh at that one bud,no offense to you

Old 11-05-2004, 11:17 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
lol
Old 11-05-2004, 11:28 AM
BOne is offline BOne

Send a message via ICQ to BOne Send a message via Yahoo to BOne
well..bone says"if your upset with maps you download..open up the editor and give makin a map a try...ive done a few..its not as easy as it looks....i have allotta respect for guys who can make GOOD maps..any1 can smack a few buildings on a terrain and call it good..what makes a map good is the theme and how it plays regardless if stuff is in the ground..floating in the air...its all about fun...so stop whinig..downlaod a map and kill someone already..tell em bone told ya too "
Old 11-06-2004, 08:40 AM
EL_BASTARDO is offline EL_BASTARDO

lol good call
some v true words in there bone (except there's no excuse for floating objects ) :P lol
Old 11-06-2004, 12:53 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

Like i said before.. we have tried to review maps and have people review maps for us, it just never works out. They realize that it takes more then an hour a day, expecially with all the maps coming in now to get them reviewed. And then when the maps get a lil backed up I would spend 5 or 6 hours a day for 3 or 4 days just opening and closing delta force to review a the 100 mapsvI had backed up. It was fun at first but I did it for a few years and I couldn't stand it anymore. You are right our rating system probably isn't very fiar and maps are rated the best we can rate them and somtimes they will be way off. But that's why we have the user voting system now with comments, so people can get a more acurate review. We may do something the admin ratings or just stop rating them overall, and just let users rate them..

We don't accept staff anymore for map ratings because not one of the 10 or so that we have tried, has lasted more then a few days before they were bored outa there mind or dissapeared.

And I am certainly not going to rate maps anymore. I have more then 3,000 under my belt and I don't want to touch another one, and I or the staff here don't have that kinda time anymore. I'm lucky I learned what I did when I did cause I wouldn't be able to keep up with this all, the system runs it self now, I haven't touched a flat file to modify since like March..

Plus I don't own Team Sabre, Joint Operations and I won't be getting escilation or whatever it is. Delta force died for me after land warrior. I still play land warrior and probably will till it dies out, but the rest of em are just plain ol boring to me.

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq