Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Delta Force
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Delta Force Anything to do with the Delta Force series of games, DF1, DF2, LW, TFD, BHD, DFX, AF etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-11-2022, 05:02 PM
mg is offline mg

Very cool, love the PSO-1.

Quote:
Twist on the rangefinder: calibrated for 1.5 meters (4' 11"? Who are we sniping?)
Indeed, I don't think that's exactly "standard". Either an odd variant for some sort of game hunting or just.. you know.. the developers of COD not giving it too much thought (I can't imagine COD players must do a lot of range finding).

It would seem a more standard calibration is for 1.7m, which you may want to use instead.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Pso-1onsvd.jpg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSO-1

I like your tips about being more creative with range finding based on partial targets, relying only on quick and basic arithmetic. I must try to do that more.

Quote:
Why all this trouble when the game has a range display right there on the HUD? Sometimes, the game tells you the range to the tree half way to the target that the target is almost obscured by. Sometimes it tells you the distance to the window pane you're looking out of or the invisible wall between you and the target. I think an alternate way to range is handy in these cases.
Or just to make it more interesting / for immersion. I think NL games would benefit from the removal of the range from the HUD TBH.

BTW you probably know this, but the lower chevrons are used for targets beyond the max zero configuration (1000m), respectively 1100m, 1200m and 1300m. I wonder if NL engine ballistics would make that work automatically with your scope, assuming you've retained proportions.

I'm fairly sure they can also be used as alternate references closer to the main chevron even for shorter ranges depending on the elevation setting, or to avoid having to change the elevation setting in some scenarios, but I don't know about any tips. Similarly for horizontal lines which could be used to range using shoulder-to-shoulder distance.

It's a shame the engine's night vision effect doesn't deal well with red. I understand you're not necessarily going for fidelity, but if you wanted to you could also just stick with black I guess (default when non-illuminated). I was having fun with a the PSO-1-1 variant in another game yesterday when the battery ran out -- still very usable without it.

Tags
bhd mods, bhd sights, m60 sights, optical sights, wtf