Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Computers > Tech Support
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Tech Support Have a problem? Maybe we can help!

Old 07-10-2004, 05:56 PM
BeBop is offline BeBop

Send a message via ICQ to BeBop Send a message via AIM to BeBop Send a message via Yahoo to BeBop
eek best Linux flavor?

Planning on setting up a webserver... kinda sick of running a windows web server... Just wondering what you guys think is the best Linux flavor.... last time i tried linux i used Mandrake and it was ok but i really couldnt figure out much of anything like how to get the VNC Remote working lol... Should i go with Redhat since its a web server? or what? RedHat looks like the best out there to me....

Old 07-11-2004, 12:58 AM
Systemkaos is offline Systemkaos

Send a message via ICQ to Systemkaos
i hated mandrake but im going for Linux redhat 9, thing is once you get good enough you wont need to use the GUI hahahaha cuz im looking to do the same...in a way, im going to duel boot and learn linux
Old 07-11-2004, 09:43 AM
BeBop is offline BeBop

Send a message via ICQ to BeBop Send a message via AIM to BeBop Send a message via Yahoo to BeBop
I found someone whos going to help me via AIM and im going to use Slackware Linux, it looks pretty good.

Old 07-11-2004, 07:15 PM

BLAAA, the best for servers is redhat im tellin ya dude
Old 07-11-2004, 09:04 PM
BeBop is offline BeBop

well, changed my mind and went with Mandrake... slackware was being a pain in hte ass

Old 07-12-2004, 10:06 AM
SFR-LiquidFX is offline SFR-LiquidFX

Send a message via Yahoo to SFR-LiquidFX
Mandrake IMHO (and i've been using linux for over 5 yrs) is the best for newbs. It has the easiest installer, configuration is easy, and it's hardware detection and support is excellent. Slackware on the other hand, i've never liked it. Just something about it that i don't like.

Redhat, another that i don't like as they don't have some configuration tools that i like to have and they don't ship/dl with DVD player support. Yeah i can easily install it myself but why when i can download another distro that does have that support as well as much more.

another distro that i do like a lot and that comes on a single disc is Libranet which is based on the Debian distro. It is quickly becoming my distro of choice and is a snap to install.

Anyway, looks as though you've already made your mind up but i thought i'd post this anyway in case anyone else was thinking about this.

ps
here's a good link to get distro's off the net for free, http://www linuxiso.org and a good site for reviews of distro's..... http://www.distrowatch.com

Old 07-12-2004, 03:27 PM
BeBop is offline BeBop

Slackware sucked.... for one LILO was messing up on install on Mandrake as well, BUT on MANDRAKE they have a second bootloader option i forgot the name of it begins with a g tho, and this saved me a lot of trouble . Got my webserver and teamspeak server running again so now im happy .

Old 07-12-2004, 10:07 PM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
1.) Is Windows Server 2003 for You?
2.) Windows: Windows .NET Server 2003 FAQ
3.) Windows Server 2003 Resource Center

General info:
Minimum processor: PentiumĀ® 133 processor: Windows 2003 Minimum memory requirements: 128MB Recommended memory requirements: 1.5GB Minimum disk space requirements.
Price may very from: USD-120.00 to USD-3,699.00 it count what you need. there are 11 type of windows 2003 version to buy and use.

see all of them listed: "Click-here"

you should see what Windows 2003 has. Linux is still young to me. a lot of software will not work with Linux. RedHat been around a long time now they not bad at all.
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]

Last edited by Hellfighter; 07-12-2004 at 10:21 PM.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:31 PM
BeBop is offline BeBop

Linux Free... Apache - Built for Linux code.... PHP built for Linux code... MySQL Built for linux code.... Now where in there would i see microsoft? Who charge an arm and a leg for security hole monster servers that are lame anyways? The script exec time was nearly cut in half when i went to linux anyways.

Check it out: http://mandrakelinux.com

Old 07-12-2004, 11:26 PM

set up a good kernal and shell and it could take hackers hours trying to get in

GOOOOO LINUX
Old 07-12-2004, 11:31 PM
JonM is offline JonM

What's Linux?
Old 07-13-2004, 01:55 AM

an operating system
Old 07-13-2004, 09:44 AM
BeBop is offline BeBop

read about it here http://linux.org or just go to google adn type in what is linux

Old 07-14-2004, 01:33 AM
atholon is offline atholon
"ath-hole"

Send a message via MSN to atholon
Red hat is the most common one, I have never used it on my machine, but I should since a lot of servers are going for LINUX/Unix.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:34 AM
atholon is offline atholon
"ath-hole"

Send a message via MSN to atholon
Red hat is the most common one, I have never used it on my machine, but I should since a lot of servers are going for LINUX/Unix.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:21 AM

Bebop, yeah slackware is definitely not for me either. Your Lilo issue on 'drake though is odd. I've been using 'drake for years and never had a problem with it (well not with Lilo anyway). BTW that other bootloader is called Grub. I personally prefer Lilo but whatever works.

Chief, while those may be the min req's for 2k3. I challenge anybody to effectively in a production environment run it on those min req's. Now on the other hand, Linux will run fine on that. You can do anything on Linux that you can do on winblows. And if there is a program that you absolutely have to have on linux, that's what WINE or WINEX is for. MusicMatch Jukebox....i run it...Paint Shop Pro, i've run it....NeoTrace, got it....that's just a couple but ya see my point. And to be totally honest, Linux is not really that young compared to windows......Windows came about in what? 1988? (correct me if i am wrong but i am close)..Linux in 1991. Does it have a long way to go? Hell YES it does. But so does windows. I'd say you should definitely give it a try and see what it's really like instead of going from what you have heard. you might be surprised.

Old 07-16-2004, 10:35 AM
BeBop is offline BeBop

lol actually i believe in the linux os the original came out in 1970

Old 07-18-2004, 11:25 AM

ummmmm NO you would be wrong in that. Linux was initially developed by Linus Torvalds in 1991 as a way for him and other students around the world to have a "free" version of unix to use and learn with on an x86 platform. Linux is based upon the Unix OS which is NOT free and generally can be difficult to obtain because of cost, for students to learn. Unix is the one that you are thinking that was developed in 1970. Unix IMHO is an antique and should be put in a museum basement. Fortunately for us.....Linux is taking care of this.

Old 07-24-2004, 07:40 PM
BeBop is offline BeBop

yeah sorry i probably should have checked that date, i just remember something in php with a functino that starts from the unxi birth time in seconds lol

Old 07-24-2004, 09:10 PM
IcIshoot is offline IcIshoot

Send a message via AIM to IcIshoot Send a message via MSN to IcIshoot Send a message via Yahoo to IcIshoot
I use a linux distribution called Gentoo (http://gentoo.org).

What I like about it is how easy it is to install the software.

Just type in "emerge apache" (for example) and it will automatically download all the needed dependencies.

I played around with red hat and it was apain to install software, even using the gui.

Also, red hat is going comercial. They are no longer providing red hat for free downloads. Fedora is kind of taking the free version of red hat's place.

Just my 2 cents,

IcI