Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

Old 01-27-2005, 03:58 PM
.ex. is offline .ex.

bible...

what is bible about? i know i know im stupid but what is it about?
Old 01-27-2005, 04:04 PM
.ex. is offline .ex.

im getting either bible or Art of War by Niccolo Machiavelli
Old 01-27-2005, 04:06 PM
-Tigger- is offline -Tigger-
BB

bible as in the book ye? (seen ur next reply and thought am i on about the same thing lol)

the bible is basically the story of life, from how human kind was made to how it will end.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:18 PM
NaughtyPerry is offline NaughtyPerry
Banned

bible is boring. simple. I myself am not religious, but if you are, it may be good reading it :P

I prefer to believe in Loud Music, Sex and Drinkin... Not some mysterious guy i will never meet.... *i will stop now before i rabble on for the next 10yrs*
Old 01-27-2005, 04:18 PM
.ex. is offline .ex.

i red somewhere that a guy went to jail...and some1 gave him the bible and he read it and he said that it was like some1 knew his life and wrote it about him...is that true?
Old 01-27-2005, 04:39 PM
Dr. Bullet is offline Dr. Bullet

Send a message via ICQ to Dr. Bullet
The Bible is the handbook for life. Even if you don't believe in God or are a Christian, it holds many life truths that are the same for everyone, such as "Do not murder." In addition, it has many descriptions of battles, some of which are still studied at West Point for tactics.

Scientifically, it has much to offer. The Bible says the earth is round, and this was when the Catholic church still believed the earth was flat. This is just one example.

It tells of battlefield exploits, sexual adventure, daring leaders, and rebellions. Even if you just read it for the stories, it's a great book.

EDIT: And if you want something more war related, I suggest The Art of War by Sun Tzu, one of the best military masterminds to ever walk this earth. It is full of advice which can be applied to daily life. If you plan on going into military tactics or some such field, this will likely be required reading.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:17 PM
Lakie is offline Lakie

I do to recomend the Art of War by Sun Tzu (pronounced similar to soon-zuh) although unless you can read chinese and get your hands on an original copy, youll have to read a translated modern work. There is nothing wrong with this but read up first on the particular translation before purchasing it, there are plently out there, some are plain wrong, some have a obviously bias context (eg. sun tzu for coporations) and some are masterpieces.

The Modern Bible is the sacred text for the christian faith. Wha you take out of it is largely up to the reader.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:49 PM

Too true Mike...I hate those crappy translations of the Art of War.

For the Bible, the best one I can suggest is the MacArthur Study Bible, King James Version. John MacArthur is one of the leading Bible scholars of our day and has gone through original Hebrew, Greek, and Latin texts to fully understand the meaning of the scripture. For example, when you read "Thou shalt not kill," you think of killing period (after you get through thou and shalt- who talks like this?). But in the original language, it really means murder, so that puts certain things such as war out of the picture.

On top of that, he doesn't subject you to the usual thee's, thy's, and thou's of the KJV that makes it impossible for any person in todays age to understand it. He has awesome commentary on the verses and offers a lot of insight.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:02 PM
.ex. is offline .ex.

i bought king james version..only 4.99
Old 01-27-2005, 07:22 PM
Matt is offline Matt

Administrator

Send a message via MSN to Matt
they give them away for free at local churches

Click here for the official member status images!

Quote:
Originally posted by Panther
For your sence of free speech, we will control how much you have here .
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve
fak i clicked it to lol.

the message "this will disable it" should have been put before

sorry
Old 01-27-2005, 07:42 PM
DARKELF808 is offline DARKELF808

Send a message via AIM to DARKELF808
I love the BIBLE it changed my life. I used to do drugs and was looked down on by everyone. Untill a local youth pastor gave me a bible read me a couple of verses and before long i got saved and clean and i have the happyest life. and people actulay look up at me now.

Old 01-27-2005, 08:17 PM

Great for you bro, happy to hear it

Game, don't get discouraged when reading that KJV. You're going to encounter some of the most odd old English, and it may be like sludging through a mud pit. I can't bear to read it, just for the fact that I can't understand it. If you can, that's great, but I know from personal experience that I became really discouraged about reading the Bible after attempting to read a KJV.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:49 AM
~MOUSE~ is offline ~MOUSE~

The bible is used to control and brain wash the masses.

(Don't get me started on religion. )

Old 01-28-2005, 11:39 AM
BADDOG is offline BADDOG
resigned

The only stupid question is the one that's never asked bro so read the bible and make your own mind up about it!!!!

Regards
Old 01-28-2005, 11:57 AM
atholon is offline atholon
"ath-hole"

Send a message via MSN to atholon
MOUSE is insane :shock: