Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Computers > Web design and Programming
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Web design and Programming Discuss website creation and other programming topics.

Old 01-19-2005, 08:35 PM
VooDoo- is offline VooDoo-

lol yea i know what u mean...i opend it and out of the corner of my eye i saw it ... staring right at me......
Old 01-19-2005, 09:55 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

BTW, dreamweaver is full of junk.. if your going to use anything and at least want to be able to read your code use frontpage. Or maybe i'm just to stupid for dw (I honestly can't figure it out...). I can't even do much in front page other then tables (the table maker is A+) and put images in there that are miss-aligned and all messed up. Is it just me?

I hand code, but I'll use front page to build thoes big tables because god knowns even though I can I'm not going to build a big long complexed assed table by hand when front page will do it in a few sec.. then I can just clean the code a bit in notepad. Some things just can't be done in a program tho.. Like I can't build a collapseable table (Like our content boxes for example) I just can't figure it out in front page.

It's not bragging rights "I can hand code you can't blah,blah" it's just what I perfer.. I could care less if you built your site with a program, as long as it looks nice it's all the same..

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 01-19-2005, 11:28 PM
atholon is offline atholon
"ath-hole"

Send a message via MSN to atholon
There are a few progs you can use...my pals at Distant-help.com are pros at that...they told me of some other ones but I forgot em. I just use notepad.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:24 PM

im not uber leet at web pages yet

but like..i like dream weaver cause it makes the table out of ur template for you ..

yea i can build tables, that easy ... but this is just a little practice thing to learn how a site like this one is done ...

and atholon i pray you know a little about PHP :P
Old 01-20-2005, 01:31 PM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
DW is for peeps like me who dont know any code
using it as a combo is ideal i guess, because u can whip up a template really fast then just edit the code by hand to make it just right.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:08 PM
"ath-hole"

:P I know a bit of PHP but for super help that is Elite or Panther.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:26 PM
Stu is offline Stu
Resident Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve
DW is for peeps like me who dont know any code
using it as a combo is ideal i guess, because u can whip up a template really fast then just edit the code by hand to make it just right.
I know my HTML code. And my php lolz.
Panther i thought u were the sort of person that would use dreamweaver to build a site. dfhq looked like it was made within a program, it looked so good
Old 01-20-2005, 04:43 PM

><

im trying to learn ... but .. how the hell do you install php ....... do i need to do that just to mess around with it on my comp?
Old 01-20-2005, 05:55 PM
"ath-hole"

http://www.easyphp.org install that. You need to put everything in a www folder and have to program running to get it to work.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:36 PM
BlackMass is offline BlackMass

i'm partial to Frontpage for all my web design needs. perfect for simple, small web designs.

» Visit Clan Hall Gaming «
Old 01-21-2005, 10:23 PM
"ath-hole"

Yeah, they are good for both, I am sure they'd save me a bit of time in the long run but I am to lazy to bother getting faimiliar with them.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:36 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

I've never really been able to do much in dw other then change colors and put images in. I could never make a table right, but then again that was prolly 2 years ago.. First impressions make a big impact on me I guess, never touched it since.. But i've seen DW's code and it's sooooo messy to me..

This site, along with 98% of the work I do is my own work and coded notepad (Actually crimson editer, color coded notepad).. If I use FP it's only to save some time building a table. That table maker where you draw the table is A+. Oh and it's image map functions. I started learning around 3 years ago right when I got on the computer so actual good programs either costed a arm and a leg or they sucked.. (p2p was non-existant and didn't know about the big W scene) so i had a friend start me off in notepad and the rest is history..

Plus I am VERY picky about stuff like that. Just ask the other admins here . The only reason I learned php really was because I was sick of downloading scripts that didn't do exactly what I wanted.. And it wasen't my work etc etc..

I'll even take up learning popup windows in javascript so I don't have to use someone elses script.. I have issues...

Old 01-22-2005, 12:23 AM
"ath-hole"

That is why I started too
Voodoo got a demo up: http://voodoo.nerdhq.net

You can kill me later voodoo.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:49 AM

lmfaoooooooooooooooo

yea like i said ... JUST FOR PRACTICE ...learn stuff with that ... then make a good one

atholon is helping me right at ths moment too lol
Old 01-23-2005, 09:34 AM
"ath-hole"

(After Voodoo learns that I suck at webdesign your next panther!!! LOL)
Old 01-23-2005, 11:52 AM
SilentTrigger is offline SilentTrigger
-1PARA-

Quote:
Originally posted by Panther
I've never really been able to do much in dw other then change colors and put images in. I could never make a table right, but then again that was prolly 2 years ago.. First impressions make a big impact on me I guess, never touched it since.. But i've seen DW's code and it's sooooo messy to me..

This site, along with 98% of the work I do is my own work and coded notepad (Actually crimson editer, color coded notepad).. If I use FP it's only to save some time building a table. That table maker where you draw the table is A+. Oh and it's image map functions. I started learning around 3 years ago right when I got on the computer so actual good programs either costed a arm and a leg or they sucked.. (p2p was non-existant and didn't know about the big W scene) so i had a friend start me off in notepad and the rest is history..

Plus I am VERY picky about stuff like that. Just ask the other admins here . The only reason I learned php really was because I was sick of downloading scripts that didn't do exactly what I wanted.. And it wasen't my work etc etc..

I'll even take up learning popup windows in javascript so I don't have to use someone elses script.. I have issues...
Same story here, just never liked FP either. And I never lernt java scripts and it was futher back in time when that happened

The reason why i started wasn't the same though. I was already into ASP so it was just a transaction from ASP to PHP

My photography website

Old 01-23-2005, 11:27 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

Did you find the transaction hard Silent?

Old 01-24-2005, 09:23 AM
-1PARA-

Well it was a bit confusing at first as there are alot of differences in the two languages. ASP is a lot harder to get around as there's no (atleast i dont think so, didnt have one atleast) asp.net (ie php.net ) So you have to figure out alot more on your own. So it was quite a good fealing going from ASP to the easyer PHP. In a comparason, for me it was like going from a car built in the 60ies to a car built 2000. PHP feels more "modern"

ASP did have its pros too but I will never go back to it. The structure is alot more confusing then PHP even though there are some minor simularites. Frankly I have put ASP behind me and don't remember much. I have a mental picture of me programing it in my head, thats about it. You forget alot under a couple of years. Oh and that mental picture is a dempt and a bit sad image. Hard to explain but I will explain it with "suicide" type image.

My photography website

Old 01-25-2005, 10:34 AM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

I was a little interested in asp(.NET) but I have read some code and it just dosent apeal to me.. Also the lack of the 'asp.net' as in php.net.. That website is a+. And you also have to pay for certain featues with asp like file uploads I herd? I couldn't live with that.. asp might be easier to intergrate into some programs on the server but if you know a good deal of php you can do the same for free..

Now i'd rather learn javascript..

Old 01-25-2005, 11:30 AM
-1PARA-

Yeah I never lernt .NET. Don't think it was avalible back then. Dont know anything about .NET heh

Yeah, I should really lern javascript aswell

My photography website