Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Computers > Web design and Programming
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Web design and Programming Discuss website creation and other programming topics.

Old 10-11-2003, 08:15 AM
BeBop is offline BeBop

Send a message via ICQ to BeBop Send a message via AIM to BeBop Send a message via Yahoo to BeBop
Free-Layout

I made a free layout for anyone to use, drop me a line if you want the banner changed to your squad-names name.

http://punksofwar.com/dl/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=1

SS: http://punksofwar.com/dl/uploads/des...ers%20copy.gif

Includes all the psd's and some cut-out soldiers.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:12 PM
Pro Bmxer is offline Pro Bmxer

nice

Mercenaries Go check it out
Tupac Shakur... Who's laughing now.
Old 10-14-2003, 05:09 PM
SilentTrigger is offline SilentTrigger
-1PARA-

Well if you dont have the rights to use those photos, you would most likely be sued if you took money for it...

My photography website

Old 10-14-2003, 06:26 PM
BeBop is offline BeBop

Send a message via ICQ to BeBop Send a message via AIM to BeBop Send a message via Yahoo to BeBop
im not taking moeny for it, im giving it for free, as well as the cut-outs of the joint-ops people, i know copyright and what it is, im not about to get my arse sued, because as of now im broke, and only 15... heheh

Bank account: $11.53
Wallet: $2 (edit) and 4 cents

2nd edit-
If i asked nova, could i then sell something else for money containing joint-ops soldiers on it? or what? because ive seen layouts that have been sold that have game soldiers on them (not specifically nl)
Old 10-15-2003, 06:04 PM
-1PARA-

If they havent gotten the premissions, they might find them self getting sued, i dont however know which one to ask when it comes to games and programs, the one that take the screenshot or the one owning the game, i would presume that its the one who made the game, but im not 100% sure...

And i wasnt saying that you did sell it i said if you ware you might have been sued... Its still breaking the copyright law but i dont think any buissnes would take actions if you dont make money of it, i dont think a court would care either, would be useless to bother...

And yea i have seen several selling layouts with pictures they didnt take/make, the question is if they got premissions to use them...

My photography website

Old 10-16-2003, 04:28 PM
BeBop is offline BeBop

well i understand that the images [specifically the soldiers] were madeby novalogic or another gaming copmany, but isnt it along the lines of, if you modify an image more than like 50 or 60% that you can now say that image is yours?
Old 10-17-2003, 04:05 PM
-1PARA-

Nope, the instence you change a copyrighted picture (every picture is copyrighed) you violate the copyright law, maybe if you got the premission to edit the picture and then make a 60% change, dont know but if you dont have the premissions to use/edit it, it wont matter how much you change it becouse you have allready violated the law in the instence you change it! It will never turn into yours, only will if you get the premissions from the creator! As of what I have read

My photography website

Old 10-18-2003, 09:17 AM
BeBop is offline BeBop

we really need some lawyers on this forum lol
Old 10-18-2003, 09:58 AM
morales is offline morales

Whats the issue here? bebop is not charging any money for that template - and, if he is in violation of any copyrighted pics then so is 99.9% of the df community.

Mindset Snipers Founder
Dfarena Forum Mod
Mindset Media Web Project Manager
Terranova Crew Member
Mindset Media Web 1998/2004.
Old 10-19-2003, 12:38 PM
BeBop is offline BeBop

no issue with my layout, just tryin to discuss the issue of selling somethign with images on it, and if you edit an image how much should u ahve to edit to be able to claim it as your own
Old 10-19-2003, 02:11 PM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
Q: I'm just using a few images... and I'm not making any money off it.

A: You didn't ask permission or get permission from the owner. You can't use them, no matter how few. It doesn't matter if you're making money or not. Copyright means the right to copy. It doesn't mean the right to make money. If you are copying or using their work without their permission then you are violating copyright law no matter whether you are making money off it or not. The only exception to this is when images or other copyrighted material is used in the form of either parody or used in a small amount to illustrate a point. To illustrate this the difference would be between a site saying "Hey! I love Disney's Hercules movie!" and next to that text telling about their Hercules love, they have a picture of Hercules. This is acceptable. It's covered under "fair use", since that image is being used to illustrate what they are talking about. (magazines and various critics do this all the time). However a whole archive of Hercules pictures would not be considered "fair use".

so techinically you are breaking copyright, will nova/a game company do anything about it? not in my opinion
Old 10-19-2003, 11:19 PM
BeBop is offline BeBop

Quote:
To illustrate this the difference would be between a site saying "Hey! I love Disney's Hercules movie!" and next to that text telling about their Hercules love, they have a picture of Hercules. This is acceptable. It's covered under "fair use"
Isn't that what it would be doing?
Isnt DFHQ technically in violation or did dfhq get permission?
Note to self: dont post anymore stuff for the public lol
Old 10-20-2003, 02:52 AM
Lakie is offline Lakie

wwww.whatiscopyright.org is a place to start.

im going to make things complicated by saying that there is a chance that you would need permission from multiple people
1) Novalogic as a company
2) The original author of the work, as it could be their intellectual copyright

and ill throw this into the mix.
The desert bdu's pattern is probably patented or trademarked, the gun that the soldiers hold are probably patented and or trademarked.

It just so happens im reading the dilbert future by scott adams and would like to quote this prediction, btw dilbvert books are a blast to read i really recomend them
Quote:
By Scott Adams in the Dilbert Future
In the future, new technology will allow police to solve 100 percent of all crimes. The bad news is that we'll realise 100 percent of the population are criminals, includin the police.
Old 10-20-2003, 09:26 AM
BeBop is offline BeBop

lol, yeah dilbert is great, i guess its just best to say blahblah copyright there respective owners... lol, i'd hate to wait 10 years just to get a response from all the companies that hold copyright/trademarks/patents...
Old 10-20-2003, 12:03 PM
-1PARA-

Dosent matter if you put copyright (x)- 2003 blahblah your still copying it unlawfully!

And the "fair use" is contreverse, and its hard to tell whats included in "fair use"...

And indeed that was a funny but yet true quote

My photography website

Old 10-20-2003, 05:34 PM
BeBop is offline BeBop

bah the hell with it, nova promoted that whole fan site thing anyways sooooo , they wouldnt make much from me if they sued me anyways :-\ im broke and prettymuch my fam is too soooo, i WUV novalogic so dont sue me if u read this
Old 10-21-2003, 07:47 AM
G.I.JOE*MFA* is offline G.I.JOE*MFA*

Send a message via ICQ to G.I.JOE*MFA* Send a message via Yahoo to G.I.JOE*MFA*
this will not stop an argument cause it explains it pretty vaugely

Quote:
Originally posted by G.I.JOE¤MFA¤ At DFMAFIA.NET
For those that didn't know what you create is yours and can not be copied by someone else. This goes for maps, missions, textures, sounds, mods, utilities... The list goes on and on.

From the US Copyright Office:

The individual who created the map would be the copyright owner of the map and would have rights to it.

sw

Copyright Office
Library of Congress
101 Independence Ave SE
Washington DC 20559
(202) 707-3000
www.copyright.gov

>>> <ArcticWolf@Arctic-Wolf.org> 05/22/03 09:31PM >>>

I am a long time "map maker" for an online game called Delta Force. I do not work for NovaLogic, but I do use their included Mission Editor that comes with the game and create "maps" for other players to use.

My main question is this:

Would the person who created this map hold the copyright for it? Some of us "map makers" are having problems with others who take what we create and then effectively steal what we have done and take full credit for the long hours of work we do.

I would appreciate any informational help you could give me (and the others) on this issue.

Question submitted at 21:31 on 5/22/03.

Source: DF ARENA
though this explains maps and all though we use objects and nova med to create our maps its the different for images...though u use a nova image to make a sig (as 1 example) u used a copyrighted image and could face penelties...but with what the quote says though u use copyrighted map maker with copyrighted objects the map is urs...wierd isnt it...

with how the copyright office explained the maps it should apply to the images (such as sigs and banners) u would think

*MaFiA*...Trust...Respect . . . Family

BF *MaFiA* - CoD *MaFiA* - DF *MaFiA* - JO *MaFiA* - RvS ¤MaFiA¤ - SW *MaFiA* - Capo Crimini
The Site

Last edited by G.I.JOE*MFA*; 10-21-2003 at 07:53 AM.
Old 10-21-2003, 02:03 PM
BeBop is offline BeBop

just havin a healthy debate here , i see your point about the maps (i'd get po'ed too), i think i'll forget about it and just put a copyright for novalogic about all the soldiers are theres, all other is mine or yours (whoever made hte layout your putting the images onto)... i think that solves it....

BTW dont you have to pay $$ to get a copyright (as to where you can take legal action for it)?
Old 10-21-2003, 02:18 PM
Diamond Bullet is offline Diamond Bullet

Send a message via ICQ to Diamond Bullet Send a message via Yahoo to Diamond Bullet
dont know much about copyrights so cant contribute to the conversation, but a question. SB did you or P get permission to use screenshots to creat your dfhq title?

MSN: db_dasniper@hotmail.com

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

supplied by Nev
Old 10-21-2003, 05:27 PM
BeBop is offline BeBop

thats what i asked ^^ (1st pg ithink).. i honeslty dont think it matters though, they give credit to nova in the copyright i think